Winter's Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pyroscourge

Winter's Fury

Post by Pyroscourge »

After a long year of procrastinating and engineering, I have finally reached that point where everything starts to slow down again, so I can put out more work. Something which I have wanted to do for a while is update Winter's Fury, because there were still a few bugs here and there along with weirdly designed areas and hard gameplay in random places. So this patch is designed to 'polish the hell out of it'. I intended to release it on the anniversary of its original release, but I finished early.

For the TL;DR's, the download is right here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vopkdkwl8ymnk ... 5.zip?dl=0

About a month ago, I went back and played through the entire thing. My ability to properly design doom mods has grown significantly over the previous year, and hence my eye for quality sharpened somewhat. I ended up finding a lot of things I didn't like, and hence decided to change them. There were a few things which I felt I would discuss with you guys as well, as I believe they were discussed quite a bit during the development of Winter's Fury.
In particular:

Bosses:
While I still really enjoy fighting the bosses again and again and again, regardless of how long it takes to kill them, a lot of people disliked the grind style of the later bosses. Most notably of course, the triple threat boss fight at the end. I don't particularly want to change too much about the actual design of the fights, so I figured the best idea would be to simply scale their health by difficulty level.
If anyone has any superior ideas, or any comments to make on the current state of the bosses in Winter's Fury 1.2, please do so.

Ammo:
The way that I constructed ammo balance throughout the mod led to problems with some players. I believe this is because through my many years of playing Winter's Fury, I adapted to using the weapons incredibly cost-efficiently; I would shoot demons once with the SSG before finishing them with the machine gun, I would deliberately line up enemies knowing that they would all die from one SSG blast, I would use single well-placed rockets wherever possible, etc.
I have rebalanced it slightly by trying to be, uh, stupider, while testing. Or in other words, I try not to apply these strategies and re-balance the ammo accordingly. If anyone has any opinions on the ammo balance in Winter's Fury 1.2, please feel free to comment.

Story:
Yeah, the story was written by a 13 year old. Literally. 5 years ago I had the 'AMAZING' plan for the story that was kind of presented in Winter's Fury, but it pretty much involved so many clichés that players simply drowned in them. Even after release, I wasn't really happy with the way I made the story, but due to not caring I just left it as it was.
After working on S.U.P.E.R Natural for a year, and listening to an enlightening radio piece on Tango.tv, I simply couldn't stand it anymore. When I went back and played through Winter's Fury, I decided that it was a MUST that the presentation of the story be raised in quality, so for those who care it is bearable, and for those who don't it is ignorable.
Turned out that it’s really hard to make any kind of significant story, but at least it’s a bit less cliché.
However, as an added bonus, the story is much more 'continual' than before, and lets the player come to their own conclusions about things.

VA:
I originally decided against voice acting because I felt the mod was already large enough in file size and didn't need to waste anymore of people's download. Also, it would be troublesome if I decided to keep those voices and then re-use the character later in another mod if the original VA wasn't around anymore.
However, I came up with the idea of adding an extra optional download for the sound files, which would just run with Winter's Fury and give voice overs. I haven't done it yet, and I haven't really put any thought into how I would make it work with the current way the dialogue is presented, but if enough people wanted it (and if I had some volunteers!) I would figure it out.
(Yes, that includes pre-volunteers.)
Feel free to voice your opinion on this too, of course.

So, if you haven't played through Winter's Fury before, or you've been looking for an excuse to replay it, now is a better time than ever. Please leave comments about your experience playing through, and have fun. Again.

Screenshots (outdated):
Spoiler:
Last edited by Pyroscourge on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Big C

Re: Winter's Fury: An Archvile brought it back.

Post by Big C »

Now THIS is how you use fog!

I think you went a bit overboard on the gib props in that one screenshot, though.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Pyroscourge wrote:I am still Starscream, the original creator, only I forgot my password to my account and my recovery email account. That's what I get for having multiple emails.
Why don't you Private Message an administrator? They can recover your account by setting a new password and change your name for you.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

This looks pretty cool. I swear that wasn't a pun.

Well, not an intentional pun.

Some of the indoor shots look pretty cramped to me, though, and the UAC seems to have wasted an impossible sum of money on installing hundreds of lightbulbs that don't actually do anything.

I really love the last set of outdoor shots, the night ambience with silhouetted structures fading to gray is gorgeous. Though even the lights there could probably be made to extend a bit further than they do :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

As Essel (unintentionally) said, this looks both cool and cold. Very nice. This is one to keep an eye on.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

TinyPic hates me. :(
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

This looks pretty neat!

Though I will say this looked less like winter to me, and more "volcanic", like the Ashlands in Morrowind, or maybe the Zelda:TP alpha shots.
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

esselfortium wrote:
Some of the indoor shots look pretty cramped to me, though, and the UAC seems to have wasted an impossible sum of money on installing hundreds of lightbulbs that don't actually do anything.
In the first screenshot there you don't actually do any fighting, but you are right about the second one. I will have the UAC knock down the far wall.
Ah yes, my lighting is a really big problem. When I made all the rooms in most screenshots, I didn't have lighting in mind, so I ran off making all these funny shaped ramps everywhere and then shoved a couple lightbulbs on the ceiling. I really need to work on my large scale lighting.
Big C wrote:Now THIS is how you use fog!

I think you went a bit overboard on the gib props in that one screenshot, though.
I like my gib props. :P
Jimmy wrote:TinyPic hates me. :(
I uploaded all of the screenshots into a zip file: http://www.mediafire.com/?xa39eeovjbc019t
I hope Media Fire doesn't hate you as well. :wink:
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Pyroscourge wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
In the first screenshot there you don't actually do any fighting, but you are right about the second one. I will have the UAC knock down the far wall.
Ah yes, my lighting is a really big problem. When I made all the rooms in most screenshots, I didn't have lighting in mind, so I ran off making all these funny shaped ramps everywhere and then shoved a couple lightbulbs on the ceiling. I really need to work on my large scale lighting.
In some of your shots I see you've got a lot of really complex ceiling architecture but no room for lighting or floor structures. Might I suggest moving the ceiling structures into portals, so you can detail and light the floor independently of it without having to worry about sector overlaps? It's a useful technique to use even if you're not doing anything 3D that strictly requires portal use.
GuildNavigator

Post by GuildNavigator »

Holy C****T!

That's really really cool! I really like the sloped pipage on the ceiling... Keep it on!
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

esselfortium wrote: In some of your shots I see you've got a lot of really complex ceiling architecture but no room for lighting or floor structures. Might I suggest moving the ceiling structures into portals, so you can detail and light the floor independently of it without having to worry about sector overlaps? It's a useful technique to use even if you're not doing anything 3D that strictly requires portal use.
I can't believe I have never thought of that before! An excellent idea Essel, thank you very much.

Also, thanks for the kind words everyone. I will be looking for some beta testers, so if you would like to test, go ahead and ask. I will probably take about 3 people.
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Very spooky. Those screens are hott!!!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hang on, hang on...

That looks like it is in same palette as the screenshots. :ninja:
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Spoiler:
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Damn this project's lookin' gorgeous.

And I think I see at least one part of your screenshot problem - these things are huge! I don't think that last one would even fit on a 3.5" (for whatever that is worth)... maybe you should use optimized JPEGs?

Return to “Levels”