SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: SLADE v3.0.1 Released

Post by Gez »

How are you going to make text textures truly work? At the moment, they only work if the patches are also declared in a PNAMES lump... The patch browser likewise only show patches declared in PNAMES, while in ZDoom TEXTURES mode it should also show anything in the Patches and Graphics namespaces, regardless of what PNAMES says or says not.

I've thought about giving it two different patch lists, one that's filled from PNAMES and another that's just filled with every graphics it finds in the relevant namespaces. The ZDoom mode should also probably subdivide by namespaces (i.e., archive->patches and archive->graphics).

Paranoid is a good test subject by the way; since it is a PK3 with both a TEXTURE1/PNAMES system and a TEXTURES setup used for ingame graphics like the status bar.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Yeah that's a problem I've run into with the TEXTURES editor, and why there hasn't been much svn activity since getting the editing controls in :P I've been working on writing a 'resource manager' that will hopefully handle all that stuff (and more eventually). Technically *any* graphic can be used as a patch in TEXTURES (not just ones in patches/graphics namespaces), including previously defined textures, which will be a headache to get working.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

I was thinking about trying to add ALSA or PulseAudio support to SLADE so us Linux users could have sound without the dreadfully old Audiere package. To find the sound code, I assume I should just look for the places with #ifdef NO_AUDIERE and add some #ifdef WITH_ALSA sections?

Any tips about how the sound system in SLADE works? Does SLADE convert sounds/etc to PCM to feed to the sound system or does the sound library have to natively support the sound's format, for example.

If you guys know of another sound library to use I could try that too. I was considering FMOD since the user is likely to have it installed for ZDoom anyway, or maybe OpenAL, but ALSA seemed more basic and easier to figure out.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Bio Hazard wrote:Any tips about how the sound system in SLADE works? Does SLADE convert sounds/etc to PCM to feed to the sound system or does the sound library have to natively support the sound's format, for example.
Both.

Most standard formats are expected to be handled by the library, but there are conversion routines to turn some game-specific sound formats to .wav (notably, Doom's DMX PCM format). There's also QMUS2MIDI for the same reason. So the library should at the very least be able to handle MIDI and WAV.
Bio Hazard wrote:If you guys know of another sound library to use I could try that too. I was considering FMOD since the user is likely to have it installed for ZDoom anyway, or maybe OpenAL, but ALSA seemed more basic and easier to figure out.
The issue with FMOD is that its "hobby license" is incompatible with the GPL, since it is terribly important to allow people to sell SLADE 3. Though I guess if it can be #ifdefed out and is merely an option available but not necessary to use audio playback as you could still fallback on Audiere or whatever else, then the GPL would be happy.

(I'd like to graft ZDoom's sound system anyway just for the superior MIDI playback it offers, but extricating it both from the game logic and from the FMOD Ex dependencies kinda killed this idea.)
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Yeah, I would have just gone with fmod in the first place if it weren't for silly licensing issues.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Dang, I forgot about FMOD's funky license.

Hmm. ALSA can only understand PCM data IIRC. Maybe I should look into gstreamer or something.
disposable_username2

Post by disposable_username2 »

Bio Hazard wrote:I was thinking about trying to add ALSA or PulseAudio support to SLADE so us Linux users could have sound without the dreadfully old Audiere package. To find the sound code, I assume I should just look for the places with #ifdef NO_AUDIERE and add some #ifdef WITH_ALSA sections?
Did you know that Audiere trunk has ALSA support?
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

disposable_username2 wrote:Did you know that Audiere trunk has ALSA support?
I knew there was a patch floating around to add ALSA support, but when I tried it, all it did was make SLADE segfault when Audiere opened the audio device. (The "compilation fixes" included in that patch were already being handled by another patch I was using, so I removed those hunks) Now that you mentioned audiere trunk, I managed to find the SVN repo buried in the sands of time.

I really don't want this experimental live package (SLADE) to link with another experimental live package if I can help it. If they have a release tarball of a version with ALSA, it would be much easier to write a build package for it. In any case, I'll try to set up a SLADE build with a SVN copy of Audiere and post the results.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I'm just wondering, what are all those hex values when BEHAVIOR --> View as Hex is selected and BEHAVIOR has a size of 0 ?
And what does this Go to Offset... mean in that context ?
Spoiler:
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

The hex values are likely useless to the end user (they just contain compiled ACS bytecode), and Go to Offset usually just means "jump to the specified byte in the lump/file"
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Well, with a 0 size BEHAVIOR I would expect an empty field, the same as when selected as text.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Heh. Apparently opening a zero-sized entry in the hex viewer after viewing another nonzero one doesn't clear the previous contents.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I can't compile SLADE anymore. The calls to glBlendEquation() are the problem. It's an unknown identifier. I could solve the problem with its associated constants by #including glext.h, but that doesn't help with the function itself. Then I found out I could #define GL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES before glext is included, but that merely changes the problem into a linker error. Search engine results tend to say that you have either to load the function directly with glwGetProcAddress() or go through GLEW which needs to be initialized before OpenGL itself is, etc.

Basically it's a horrible mess and I now understand why Direct3D is more popular when you only have to support Windows systems.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

I'm just wondering if there is a limit to the size of a map which can be displayed in the Slade3 map view window.

as seen in Doombuilder 2
Spoiler:
as seen in Slade3r842
Spoiler:
and the Slade3r842 saved image
Spoiler:
and in case that anyone is curious as to what it looks like in-game
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

There shouldn't as far as I know. SLADE uses STL vectors to store map data and these structures may have a limited size, though.
http://ntcoder.com/bab/2008/08/27/whats ... -a-vector/

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”