PlayStation Doom TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Viscra Maelstrom

Re: PlayStation Doom TC

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Aren't you supposed to use the batch file it comes with? I recall some tihngs may screw up if you don't.
Gnapek

Post by Gnapek »

ZDG - I love you! :D Thanks man :)
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

PSXDOOM_UPDATE_01.pk3
(126.44 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
I made a little update to this. Basically tweaked monster behavior/misc stuff. Delete DECORATE.TXT in PSXDOOM.pk3 if you use the "click, drag and drop" method.
Also includes some new gun offsets (still use the PC sprites). If you don't want to use them, delete the SPRITES folder in PSXDOOM_UPDATE_01.pk3.
Masterdoomer

Post by Masterdoomer »

how do you fix the hud, after i downloaded and played i went back in it and the hud didn't work.
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Question, what's different between this and psxd_beta.PK3? I played the latter two years ago, everything seemed in tact, and I'm unsure if this project was yours when it first started or if it was someone else's PSX Doom.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

There are 2 PSX mods - one is Chris Neilson's which is simply a level conversion with a few extras thrown in, and this (fender's) one which attempts to faithfully recreate the PSX game. The main difference in the updated version is the use of reverb.

Haven't tried the above patch yet, though.
oscuro

Post by oscuro »

Since this is a mod for zdoom can I make a level with doom builder 2 for zdoom and then play it somehow using all the playstation graphics, music, and everything in this mod? Playstation doom is awesome but it needs some new levels.
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

scalliano wrote:
Cyanosis wrote:Question, what's different between this and psxd_beta.PK3? I played the latter two years ago, everything seemed in tact, and I'm unsure if this project was yours when it first started or if it was someone else's PSX Doom.
There are 2 PSX mods - one is Chris Neilson's which is simply a level conversion with a few extras thrown in, and this (fender's) one which attempts to faithfully recreate the PSX game. The main difference in the updated version is the use of reverb.
Indeed. fenderc01 is in charge here, I'm not.
scalliano wrote:Haven't tried the above patch yet, though.
The patch basically makes this version even more faithful to the PSX version. I addressed some issues.
Jake Crusher wrote: 2) - monsters were moving a little bit slowly, probably because of PSX tech`s limitations - is it possible to do that or it is unnecessary since Doom is very fast action-shooter?
BaronOfStuff wrote:A) Barons Of Hell and Hellknights refuse to fight each other; this shouldn't be, as in the PSX game itself they'll happily tear each other apart if provoked.
Barrels were also "slower" to explode and bullet puffs were different. Some projectiles had their tic timings bumped up, e.g., BFG ball/rays. Removed translucency from rocket explosions. I changed minor details like that for this patch and as I said earlier, included some new offsets for the weapon sprites.
Dragonsbrethren

Post by Dragonsbrethren »

Here is the PSX smallfont ripped from a VRAM dump:

http://dkk.slickproductions.org/files/d ... M_FONT.pk3

Make sure you set the message color(s) to Default/untranslated instead of Red. The text colors are pretty half-assed, I just took the existing colors and had their range start at 000000.

fenderc01/unknownna, feel free to include this in the next release. Also, you should add clearepisdoes to the mapinfo so Hell on Earth isn't displayed, just the two custom episodes.
Last edited by Dragonsbrethren on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Dragonsbrethren

Fixed. (forgot my host was case-sensitive.)
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Thanks for the font! I forget why I excluded it. I had a reason at the time. I don't plan on updating the TC anymore. If anyone is willing to take over, feel free. Just make a distinction between yours and mine.
Dragonsbrethren wrote:Also, you should add clearepisdoes to the mapinfo so Hell on Earth isn't displayed, just the two custom episodes.
If you look at the download page, I mentioned:
fenderc01 wrote:It was designed to run using version 1.3.0 of GZDoom with the Doom II IWAD
That is why you see Hell on Earth.
Last edited by fenderc01 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonsbrethren

fenderc01 wrote:I don't plan on updating the TC anymore. If anyone is willing to take over, feel free. Just make a distinction between yours and mine.
Not committing to it yet, but if I decide to release my tweaks to the TC for newer versions of GZDoom, would you be willing to post my version in the OP of this thread? There are a lot of links to this thread from these froums, Doomworld, and other places, and it makes sense to keep the most updated version available here.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Dragonsbrethren wrote:Not committing to it yet, but if I decide to release my tweaks to the TC for newer versions of GZDoom, would you be willing to post my version in the OP of this thread? There are a lot of links to this thread from these froums, Doomworld, and other places, and it makes sense to keep the most updated version available here.
Sure thing! Just send me a PM with the link and I will post it on the OP.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

To make it closer to psx doom, the player's speed property should be 0.86, not 1. Gravity should be 686, not 800.

Now, it would be nice if tic rate could be set, but it must remain 35, so the above changes are the only way to get it to be more like 30 fps. (what psx doom used)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”