HeXen Beta resources

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
RaVeN-05

HeXen Beta resources

Post by RaVeN-05 »

New Post (Update):
Download all in one archive http://raven-05.narod.ru/hx/hexen-alter ... sources.7z
Preview All resources here http://raven-05.narod.ru/hx/

Files of this topic:
http://heretics-hexens.ucoz.com/HEXEN64TREELEAFS.PK3
http://heretics-hexens.ucoz.com/hexensegasaturn.wad
http://heretics-hexens.ucoz.com/hexenb3/HEXENB3.WAD

Old post:
I am uploaded here wad http://heretics-hexens.ucoz.com/HEXENBETA.WAD
This contains hexen beta resources that cut out in final version.
You can see here textures never seen before, beta maps 4 levels, some sprites.
For example combined mana is black, wraithverge named before justifier and have gold symbol, fire mask without red eyes, etc.
Last edited by RaVeN-05 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Amuscaria

Re: HeXen Beta resources

Post by Amuscaria »

Ah yes, I remember this. My Ultimate Doom CD came with the Hexen Shareware, and ht Wraithverge was called the Justifier. Good times from 96. :D
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Wow, I like that Combined Mana a whole lot better. Thanks for this!
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

Beta means game even early than official demo, and shareware etc, thanx for this to leileilol.
I know there is somewhere hexen beta full version exist.
Look closely at these screenshots its prerelease (early beta)
http://www.svatopluk.com/hexenscn/
Read about some unreleased materials here
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hexen
Spoiler:
I think John Romero have full early beta hexen with this stuff, or maybe someone too (fan, collectors)
Raven Software or ID Software maybe hold it too somewhere ?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Ah, broken upper stained glass window part. I remade that one from scratch; if I knew I could have grabbed it from the beta I wouldn't have bothered.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Thanks, this is interesting. Seems like there's a lot less that was thrown away than in the Doom ones, but I see a thing or two that might be useful.

Also, the skull and statue graphics seem to support my theory that "Yorick's Skull" originally went in the statue's hand instead of being its head (I guess they changed it for the sake of being more obvious...)
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

About Yorick you right, in beta statue present that not hold skull in hand, after you find (gray) skull you put it in hand. Statue that hold skull in hand exist in hexen release.
Image + Image = Image

P.S. Also hexen have unused CHAP_2R, CHARTR music lumps, and lumps from heretic (gold rotating skulls) and Egg (probably analog of heretic morph ovum but egg is gold with green lightning).
Gold egg reminds me
The tale of a hen ryaba laid the golden egg, grandfather and grandmother admired, but the mouse broke this egg....
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

RaVeN-05 wrote:P.S. Also hexen have unused CHAP_2R, CHARTR music lumps, and lumps from heretic (gold rotating skulls) and Egg (probably analog of heretic morph ovum but egg is gold with green lightning).
Ah yes, the "hidden" tracks... I use them a couple times in my levels. CHAP_2R is used in Deathkings (on the Market Place level, if you made sure to use the music patch) but CHARTR isn't in any of the official levels. I don't know why, it's got such a great "haunted" sound and is one of my favorite pieces in the soundtrack.

There's also an unused wall patch "W_336" of some giant bricks that's tucked away in the final wad but not assigned into a texture. They probably didn't use that one because it doesn't tile very nicely (would have to be expanded to 256x128 to be less repetitive).
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

CHARTR used in Death Kings of the Dark Citadel. Look the DM maps (map33-map38) used in transit (map for selection) map33.
Yes i am used official path for Death Kings (enable music).
About W_336 you right, in Hexen game and Official Addon i am never seen this. Only on some custom WADS =)
But it also good texture, i like it =)
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

RaVeN-05 wrote:CHARTR used in Death Kings of the Dark Citadel. Look the DM maps (map33-map38) used in transit (map for selection) map33.
Are you sure? It's got GROVER for me. They sound similar but aren't quite the same (one of those remix pairs, like WUTZITR and CHAP_3R).
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

Ahh you right, i am looked on hexdd.wad for sndinfo, CHARTR still unused music.
Also in mapinfo of addon i found
Spoiler:
cluster 4 - is a deathmatch map hub.
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Wow, that's neat stuff. I remember a v1.0 of Hexen have different sounding music too and less FX (e.g. wind blowing leaves).
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

Also, its interested that HeXen for Nintendo 64 has another graphic elements such a Tree and leafs this sprites maded from scratch. Title pic too, does anyone know how to extract them?
And hexen for sega saturn has many different sounds (FX) Bell and glass sound different, how to rip all sounds?
gravitar

Post by gravitar »

RaVeN-05 wrote:Also, its interested that HeXen for Nintendo 64 has another graphic elements such a Tree and leafs this sprites maded from scratch. Title pic too, does anyone know how to extract them?
And hexen for sega saturn has many different sounds (FX) Bell and glass sound different, how to rip all sounds?

If you download Doom64Ex, there's WadGen.exe inside the package,it's for generating a .wad file from the ROM. Maybe it works also with Hexen64, and then you could open the wad normally with XWE.

Don't know about sega saturn, but there probably also exist tools for ROM extraction, a google search may help.
zuzma

Post by zuzma »

Nah it doesn't work with hexen, It's not ported by the same company either.

Return to “Resources”