wildweasel wrote:I tend to play on Hurt Me Plenty, because Ultra-Violence has pretty much evolved to be "the Doom Professional's setting" and often represents the hardest a level can be.
Do you have any idea how reassuring it is to know that other people do this!? ._.;
In OP's defence: three months for a project like this is perfectly reasonable. It takes an assload
of work to make sure all this stuff from various sources works together without conflicts in actor names, sound names, sprites names, use of predefined or global values, weapon/ammo drops, and just typoes and "your finger twitched and missed the first character in that huge block of text you copied" and other niggly bits that inevitably crop up while working on a big project with neither mnemonic home-turf advantage ("oh I remember the variable name I named it after that injoke about the Bob's whale fetish!") nor the ability to automate or delegate.
(For what it's worth, I do similar things at my work. Most of the time by the middle of it I'd rather write the damn thing myself if I knew beforehand what all the parts did, but I don't always have that luxury in the given timeframe so there's a lot of "fit that big chunk of whatever in there since it seems to cover what we need and if necessary we can mess around with it on a later revision".)
This mod kinda reminds me of my first website back in the '90s. Back when 56k was the unmarked default, my front page loaded just under a megabyte
of data including several backgrounds, unoptimized JPEGs of MSPaint pixel art to represent each link in the side frame, at least one embedded MIDI, various decorative animated GIFs, and a large image to illustrate each section of the (rather long) introduction. Just about everything but the text and the link buttons and the backgrounds were ripped without credit. I loved that website.
Over the years I've switched Internet handles several times to distance myself from that old site, but I think at this point I've made my peace with it. Nowadays, with broadband being the norm and computer power measured in units that would have been associated with space stations and cyborgs back then, my current site's front page
weighs in at about 70k including all images.
There are a few interesting ideas in this mod. Keep at it, keep messing around with the critters, keep testing the boundaries of what can be done with the engine - see how much can be done with as little as you can get away with as well as with as much, ... and as a quick tip in efficiency, never go for "different" if "better" can be done with less effort.