DoomWorld SUCKS

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Lexus Alyus wrote:
hotwax in regards to violence and receiveing pain wrote:Unless I like it, anyway.
Bwahahahahaha my influence is spreading :twisted:

Lexus, you small ignorant piece of uneducated slime, there is no way your influece could possibly spread to me, as it's far more likely that it would have to have happened before you were born.

wildweasel: I have no problems with authority properly earned. As we all know, on the Internet nothing has to be earned. Any jackass can setup a forum and suddenly he has "authority". I'm not about to let a 16-year old idiot control what I can and can't say, so I avoid those types of forums. By the same token, I can't think of a single person I'd want having that kind of control here. Randy has that control because of the very nature of the forum, but he makes extremely sparse use of it and proven that he's not going to go gung-ho and start banning people left and right. :P
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

HotWax wrote:I'm not about to let a 16-year old idiot control what I can and can't say, so I avoid those types of forums
You don't mean Doomworld.. :P Because I was always surprised to not find You on DW forums Hotwax.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

I've never posted on DoomWorld, and I don't know if it's controlled by 16 year olds or not. I do know that it's moderated just as badly as most forums on the 'net, however.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Actually, my point with mentioning DW was that it isn't controlled by 16 yr olds (I have no idea how old the mods are) but I meant that it is heavily moderated. Many times simple discussions are in the eyes of mods flamewars, thus ended and threads helled. Plus some admins (I have to say it) act sometimes less mature than those who they ban/whose thread was helled.
Bloodshedder

Post by Bloodshedder »

HotWax wrote:I've never posted on DoomWorld, and I don't know if it's controlled by 16 year olds or not. I do know that it's moderated just as badly as most forums on the 'net, however.
If you never post there how do you know this?
pritch

Re: DoomWorld SUCKS

Post by pritch »

Daniel wrote:People in DoomWorld sucks. I want some level designers for help me on NewDoom project, and I sent an e-mail asking them for inform the community for me, but they never do it. :evil: All the emails I sent to DoomWorld they didn't give a shit.

Thanks to Darren Doom Dude Finch for the NewDoom.Com submitted news.

NEWDOOM IS THE BEST!!!!
NEWDOOM IS THE BEST!!!!
NEWDOOM IS THE BEST!!!!

Also, if anyone reading this message wants to make some NeoDoom maps, go to the NewDoom and read the latest news.
Thanks for the kind words! Remind me to shoot myself next time I send you a PM praising your work, you really know how to repay the compliment.

By the way Copernicus called. Apparently the world does not revlove around you and your projects after all.
HotWax wrote:I've never posted on DoomWorld, and I don't know if it's controlled by 16 year olds or not. I do know that it's moderated just as badly as most forums on the 'net, however.
I think you just won your country the Olympic high-horse gold, so you can get down off it now.
Last edited by pritch on Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

[quote="Some nasty bastard"]Lexus, you small ignorant piece of uneducated slime[/qoute]

That wasn't very nice.. I did no such thing to deserve that and like any of my posts have been deadly sereouse... you should know how much of a joker I am.. I was not saying that to be sereouse... I was joking. For fuck sake man! what is your problem!? Dont you dare call me uneducated again! I am anything but stupid! I might not be as rich, as "Educated" or as old as you, but I know what I am, I know where I stand and I know that that sortof talk is not acceptable! Now you apologise and be civil and I can forget about this...

you have no right to say these thing to me... you dont even know me! And I'm as educated as I need to be!

:twisted:
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

O_o
Take it easy pal, he was probably joking as well.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Where to start?
  • The news:
    • Let's face it: DW's staff is bombarded by spam. When I say bombarded, I use the word on purpose. So we use spam filters and, unfortunately, some non-spam mails get lost.
    • We NEVER update if there's no web content to link to. If your project is in such a early stage that you haven't set up a website for it yet, then chances are this won't interest most readers. So, we consider such "situations" to belong to the forums.
    • It is true we don't control websites as much as we used to. Again, this is mainly due to the presence of the forums and the fact we rely on the community to pinpoint newsworthy events.
  • The forums:
    • DW's forums are moderated. Given the traffic, we have no choice. I could go on and on about the reasons, but I guess anyone with some common sense would see why.
    • People tend to think they are unique. However, when you read a forum, I'm sure every one of you happens to think: "heh, I've already read that a million time". Again, DW is highly visited and we've witnessed thousands of project announcements... with nothing in the end. As a consequence, it takes time to get attention and/or respect. I personally don't have an exceptional individual detector, I'm sorry.
    • Like on any other web-based interactive media, we have our morons. In fact, we have a lot of those. ND bashing was the hype thing but I assure you that we're doing our best at stopping it. Just like any other controversial topic, it's really a question of balance. What is an offense? What is acceptable? I don't have the answer. Of course, there are dissentions among the moderating team and, sometimes, even the moderators don't behave. Personally, I try to live with that, knowing human beings are not perfect.
  • Doom 3:
    • Doom 3 has just been released and we're flooded with newbies (you should look at how fast the Doom 3 forums grow). In the months to come, we'll see hundreds of custom maps releases. My computer is not powerful enough, so I won't have the possibility to play them. I assure you, though, that I will update about them. Just like I post news about levels for any source port even if I only have Eternity and ZDoom installed on my hd. This is not a question of taste, we are a Doom news site.
    • Get attention? Get traffic? Come on! No one from the staff makes any money out of DW. We're just a few members of the community maintaining the site, on our spare time. DW has been around for a millennium if you consider the usual life span of gaming community sites. Doomnation died, Doomcenter died. Somehow, I'm glad ND is around. Makes me feel less lonely.
I hope this cleared things up a bit,

-- Julian
-- DW co-Webmaster
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Thank you, Julian, you have cleared up a few things (like the email situation).
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

10 pages of bitching? I read some of the first page and some of the last page.

DWF mods aren't too bad. I'm currently Losered for XTreame trolling, and I'm seeing just how stupid people who end up removed from the forums are. There's this whole "OMG SOMETHING R RONG WIT MY ACOUNT HEY LET ME OUT OF HERE YOU OWE IT TO ME IT'S FREE SPEECH MAAAAAAAN" thing, and a lot of backseat-moderating and such. I'd say people are actually pretty lucky DW is run like it is. It's still a good resource and community hub. Hearing all this bitching is like "wtf vanilla doom doesn't have a pulldown console and jumping LOL THIS GAEM SUX N UR RETRADED FOR PLAYIN."
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

No wonder there's 10 pages of crap, there's no moderation at all!
Bloodshedder

Post by Bloodshedder »

You can safely ignore Blackfish, he's not one of Doomworld's finest, that's for sure.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

heh.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

The ZDoom forums don't need moderators, they need better users.

Back in the day, we all just got along. It was a population size issue I suppose.

Return to “General”