(released) Alkylation - Episode 1

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mikk-

Re: (WIP) Alkylation - Episode 1: need betatesters!!!

Post by Mikk- »

Could you post some screenshots?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Although your project is available for download, it'd still be nice to see screenshots, as some people may not want to take a risk on a 5 MB download for something they may not like.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

I am downloading the file, UltimateLorenzo, but use this next time:

http://files.drdteam.org/

It's the best and easiest filehost for this stuff.

EDIT: Wow. I've just started, and I've played for a bit, and I really like this. Honestly, there aren't a hell of a lot of mods that give fair focus to new monsters. The map design seems quite good. I like the new textures and architecture... I must say, this is HARD. I've gotten my ass kicked several times. Haha.
UltimateLorenzo

Post by UltimateLorenzo »

Added screenshots in the first post.

@thedoomguy: at which level are you actually? some other impression?

Lorenzo
UltimateLorenzo

Ok 10 days have passed... no one played it?
Per-Scan

Post by Per-Scan »

Well, I only downloaded it this morning and have only had the chance to play through the first 3 levels. All in all, I really like it. It has the feel of the Doom alphas (a lot of blue and a fair few 'plain' textures) mixed with something new. Sometimes there's almost a Demon Eclipse atmosphere and some of the sprites and textures fuel that atmosphere. On paper it sounds like that juxtaposition wouldn't work. Something so old feeling with something very new but in actuality the both marry well together to create something quite fresh. The new monsters work well and don't feel extraneous in any way. In fast, they make you think about how you play and force you to change your 'standard' tactics which is a good thing!

I would, however, point out a couple of things (of course!). The music in level 2 (Wicked Flowers) doesn't loop properly and stops for a good while before starting again. I've seen this in a couple of WADs in the past so I'm unsure if that's a ZDoom limitation or a flaw in the music itself... The other thing I would comment upon is the sprite for the Plasma Shotgun. I don't think it fits too well with the rest of the weapon set. All other weapons are centre-based whereas the Plasma Shotgun is biased to the right. It was quite jarring when I first picked it up.

Other than that, so far, it's been really enjoyable and I'm looking forward to playing through the rest of it after work tonight. If you want any more feedback I'd be happy to share. :)
UltimateLorenzo

Thank you very much for your feedback, Per-Scan.
If you have further comments on the levels please send me a PM so I can have more ideas how ti improve my wad.

Regarding the plasma gun, you're not the first one who suggest me to delete this weapon, so probably it is very bad. I'll see if i can substitute it with something better.

For the music, I don't know. Perhaps the midi has a long silent period before the track ends.

Lorenzo
UltimateLorenzo

Re: (released) Alkylation - Episode 1

See first post.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Wouldn't you know it... I was thinking about this project just yesterday, and regretting that I lost the version you posted a while back. So, this is great. I'll let you know what I think once I've finished. :)
GuildNavigator

Post by GuildNavigator »

Grande Lorenzo! Ottimi screenshots.. :)

Keep it up!
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

I can find nothing wrong with level architecture, it is made like from the best of them.

But there is one thing I don't understand for quite some time. Perhaps you will be able to explain... why the f*ck everyone feels compelled to replace all monsters and wepons in their WADs these days? Nota bene with with weapons that are clumsy and useless compared to the originals? Are the original monsters not good or dangerous enough? Is it even still a "Doom WAD" when all monsters are replaced?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Caleb13 wrote:Is it even still a "Doom WAD" when all monsters are replaced?
Uh, yes, because it still requires Doom to play
UltimateLorenzo

Caleb13 wrote:I can find nothing wrong with level architecture, it is made like from the best of them.

But there is one thing I don't understand for quite some time. Perhaps you will be able to explain... why the f*ck everyone feels compelled to replace all monsters and wepons in their WADs these days? Nota bene with with weapons that are clumsy and useless compared to the originals? Are the original monsters not good or dangerous enough? Is it even still a "Doom WAD" when all monsters are replaced?
Simple: I got bored of the usual monsters... so I wanted to do a "classic" DooM wad, but with something different. I think the new monsters are not so different from the classic ones, just a little stronger...

It seems you didn't like the new weapons... well I personally like a lot the nailgun, and to say the truth I was not sure about the plasma shotgun... but i left it in the pack because plasma is cool. :D
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

The maps looked nice from what I saw, but the fast, overpowered monsters and slow, underpowered weapons made it unplayable for me.

Return to “Levels”