PlayStation Doom TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
fenderc01

Re: PlayStation Doom TC

Post by fenderc01 »

I got a message from someone suggesting I fix the stuck enemies in certain levels. They were stuck in the PlayStation version, so should I fix them in the remake?

Vote Here

Edit: The poll doesn't work. I'll just go by the comments I receive here.
Last edited by fenderc01 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tails Butt

Post by Tails Butt »

As is I believe is best, The closer to PSX originality the better. Was interesting in some cases. (The poll mis-voted me)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

The site wouldn't let me vote, but the purist in me says leave it as it is.
supergoofy

Post by supergoofy »

The site doesn't allow us to vote.

Better keep it as it is, (as close it can be to the original).
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

oooh this is for people who like their ssg to look closer to the psx one.
force your aspect ratio to 16:10 the levels will look smaller and the weapons also but if you play it for like 10 mins you'l be used to it
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

There's only a few levels where it happens, notably in Tenements when played on Ultra Violence (a few Imps to the left are half-stuck in the wall and unable to be killed).

For pure accuracy there shouldn't be any map bugfixes in the main .pk3 though. In fact, in The Factory you need to change a linedef near the end of the level to require the red key instead of the yellow (even though there's no red key in the level), and in Unholy Cathedral you need to add the inaccessible secret room with the Soulsphere and Chainsaw inside. Those two things at least need changing to be more accurate to the real game (as well as the right secret counts for some levels, but that's not as important).
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

I forgot to note in the changes that I changed the default light level. A lot of people complained about the game being too dark, so I bumped the default level from 75 (or 20 if you used GZDoom defaults) to 150. Make sure you run the mod with the included batch file "PSXDOOM.BAT".
Baphomet

Post by Baphomet »

I am pleased with the PSX conversions for Doom 1 & 2, but it would be nice to see a Final Doom conversion also.
Murre

Post by Murre »

*whistle*
HellFireBR

Post by HellFireBR »

Hi fender. I registered myself in this forum basically to just reply to this topic.
Oh man, i always found the PSX doom the best doom ever! IMO it even beats the pc doom (really), mainly for the colored lighting FX and the level music/sounds, these ambient style music is a thousand times better than some of the shitty mids doom has (sure doom has some good music, but mainly doom TNT has some very shitty tunes...) I really appreciate this project and ill also ask something, will you create some thing like that for the PSX final doom? Maybe you could put it in the same wad instead of creating an separated one...
Btw i see you ripped the textures and sprites from the game too (different textures appear in a lot of places and by sprites i mean that shadow-like demon variant).. how you did that? What method you used? I could search this topic or the forums but im a bit lazy :lol: Well I ask this cuz im also an duke3d player (im more dedicated to duke though) and i want to work on a PSX duke TC, but im trying for years ( yeah for years) to find a method to rip the PSX duke new textures and sprite but i failed, i used every program i found on the net, it looks like the psx duke uses an alternative/ exclusive way of compression that the majority of the texture rippers cant open do you have any idea about this? Well anyway thx for doing this TC and good luck with further projects.
Gnapek

Post by Gnapek »

Is it possible to play multiplayer in PlayStation Doom TC on GZDoom 1.4.5 ?
orestes1066

Post by orestes1066 »

dxrxix wrote:
dxrxix wrote:
scalliano wrote: @dxrxix: You can play other mods with the PSX audio, simply back up your PSXTC.PK3, rename it to something like PSXSFX.PK3, open it with WinRAR, delete all the folders except SOUNDS and delete all the text files. As for the music, the PSXTCMUS.PK3 won't work directly with other wads, but you can get one which does work here.
I'll make the work on the .PK3 file and give them a shot tonight, then post back the result.

Worked just great :D Tested with Ultimate DooM & Plutonia :wink:

The WinRAR method does work mostly well for my purposes. One problem, however, is that the chaingun sound effect for the Commando and Spider Mastermind has that weird shotgun sound at the end of firing. It's strange because you don't get that if you play the regular pk3. Now, I did find a sort of method to get the enemy chaingun to sound as it does in the original Playstation version: you have to leave the DECORATE text file with the SOUNDS folder but edit out the section on keys since otherwise keys you pick up don't work correctly. Thus one could hold shift while selecting SOUNDS folder, DECORATE text file, a psx music WAD that I found on Doom Depot, and whatever wad to make the experience that more intense.

Nevertheless, I still would find it helpful to have a polished psx sound effects pk3, wad, etc. to download; the method I employed sometimes doesn't completely go as intended. For instance, if I make my own custom music wad with XWE in place of the psxmus wad (e.g. weaving in PSX Final Doom music), it will sometimes work and sometimes not. Now I have found some psx/n64 sound effects files, but none that quite get the psx sound FX as they should be. As I quoted, dxrxix mentioned working on a pk3 file, which is awesome. Is it music or sound FX? If it's sfx, I haven't noticed a link for this file yet unless I simply am glancing over it. If that is the case, could someone repost a link for this psx sound effects pk3? Or if it indeed has not been posted yet I can't wait to try it.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zotahm3zmmn/PSXSOUND.ZIP
orestes1066 wrote: The WinRAR method does work mostly well for my purposes. One problem, however, is that the chaingun sound effect for the Commando and Spider Mastermind has that weird shotgun sound at the end of firing. It's strange because you don't get that if you play the regular pk3. Now, I did find a sort of method to get the enemy chaingun to sound as it does in the original Playstation version: you have to leave the DECORATE text file with the SOUNDS folder but edit out the section on keys since otherwise keys you pick up don't work correctly. Thus one could hold shift while selecting SOUNDS folder, DECORATE text file, a psx music WAD that I found on Doom Depot, and whatever wad to make the experience that more intense.

Nevertheless, I still would find it helpful to have a polished psx sound effects pk3, wad, etc. to download; the method I employed sometimes doesn't completely go as intended. For instance, if I make my own custom music wad with XWE in place of the psxmus wad (e.g. weaving in PSX Final Doom music), it will sometimes work and sometimes not. Now I have found some psx/n64 sound effects files, but none that quite get the psx sound FX as they should be. As I quoted, dxrxix mentioned working on a pk3 file, which is awesome. Is it music or sound FX? If it's sfx, I haven't noticed a link for this file yet unless I simply am glancing over it. If that is the case, could someone repost a link for this psx sound effects pk3? Or if it indeed has not been posted yet I can't wait to try it.
DarthMaul

Post by DarthMaul »

I have to say that a great job has been done on the PSX Doom TC so far.

Are any plans in the works for a PSX Final Doom TC in the future? (It might be a while if there are any.)

I have an optional suggestion. Would it be possible for the following enemies in Map 27 (Unruly Evil) be moved from their original coordinates to where they should have been at? The Spectres are inside the doors, and the rear Cacodemons are glued to the front ones. (View the edit below. This suggestion should be disregarded since I just checked out 'Unruly Evil' on both the PSX TC, and on the PC version of the game while running GZDoom.)

Spectre at (-16, -160) moved to (-16, -144)
Spectre at (320, -160) moved to (320, -144)
Cacodemon at (-16, -96) moved to (-16, -88)
Cacodemon at (320, -96) moved to (320, -88)

Doing this will fix the problem with these monsters being stuck. However, the above bugs weren't just in the PSX version, but were exactly the same in the PC version of Ultimate Doom. (I've tried doing this on the PC version to see what happens on Ultra Violence difficulty, and that caused the Cacodemons to chase and attack upon seeing the player.) I would suggest leaving these bugs as is, although fixing them would be nice.

Also, the door to the yellow key's room in Map 10 won't open as far as I know. Can this problem be fixed?

EDIT: I take back what I said earlier. The Cacodemons don't need to be moved, as even in their original positions, they're able to fly out and attack the player. The Spectres may, but I wouldn't bother. GZDoom and possibly ZDoom fix the bug with monsters glued together. However, this bugfix would be needed for older ports of Doom, especially with Doom95.
Gnapek

Post by Gnapek »

How to play multiplayer? (PlayStation Doom TC) ??

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”