[2.4.0 & 2.4.1] Unknown Object Code

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
scalliano

[2.4.0 & 2.4.1] Unknown Object Code

Post by scalliano »

I've been working on a monster/weapon randomizer mod (similar to AEoD but less ambitious) and so far I've been able to address all the issues I and other players have come across. However, one issue has been cropped up in ZDoom v2.4.0 and v2.4.1.

The mod uses the standard RandomSpawner type of actor to handle spawns, and in the version of GZDoom I was using to test it (v1.2.1.478) it would randomly crash on loading an autosave. I managed to fix this by removing the clashing DoomEd numbers and it has been perfect ever since *touches wood*.

HOWEVER! ;) A bit of feedback has revealed a problem when the mod is used with the latest versions of both ZDoom and GZDoom. If the mod is loaded with Memento Mori 2, all savegames on MAP17, manual or otherwise, will crash the game with the following:

Code: Select all

Execution could not continue.
Unknown object code (0) in archive
I know that this seems a bit specific, but there are bound to be other WADs that throw up this problem. I'd like to try and sort out this issue myself if I can, but I have no idea what this error means. Incidentally, I tested MM2 MAP17 with v1.2.1.478 and it was fine.

Link to the mod: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... al-mwr.zip

Any help would be appreciated.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [2.4.0 & 2.4.1] Unknown Object Code

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's due punishment for making a mess. You have so many duplicate actor classes and dirty organizing that it's no wonder that something clashes. Here's your culprit:

actor RocketBox : RandomSpawner replaces RocketBox
{
	DropItem "NewRocketBox" 255 10
    	DropItem "BigGas" 255 1
}
I'll leave it to yourself to realize what is obviously wrong here.

I'll see if I can add some sanity check but you really should clean up your mod.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

... and now your mod will abort with a proper error message.

I still have to find a way to handle spawning of objects of a class whose name was overloaded though
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

OOPS!

Yeah, my bad. I'll get cracking on cleaning that and any others I spot along the way. That's the problem with mods like this - it's easy to miss something.

EDIT: By simply changing it to what it should have been in the first place:

actor RocketBoxSpawner : RandomSpawner replaces RocketBox
{
	DropItem "NewRocketBox" 255 10
    	DropItem "BigGas" 255 1
}
it seems to have fixed the save crash issue. I'll still get rid of all the duplicate actors (GZDoom actually reports a few on startup, which helps), but at least it's now working.

Cheers, Graf.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think the biggest problems are fixed but there's one issue remaining where I have no idea how to handle it in a way that's stable enough:

If there's 2 actors with the same name, any state in the earlier definition is no longer accessible by savegames. Some additional info needs to be saved but all I can think of is not robust enough in case some optional WADs are different when loading and saving.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Any issues with having a mod-level actor with the same name as a native ZDoom.pk3 actor? Myself, I haven't noticed any problems with saving/loading, but I'm curious whether there's anything more subtle I should know about.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

In general: Don't do it!

However, if the original actor does not have any states it should work.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Graf Zahl wrote:In general: Don't do it!

However, if the original actor does not have any states it should work.
OK, well the only reason I've even done it is to maintain keybinds for usable items. I.E. I have" Use ArtiHealth" bound to the [\] key. Weapons and monsters don't matter as much. But I guess the only other option is to set up a KeySection in KeyConf. But then, I hate cluttering up people's INIs. :|

... Unless Replace changes these references? (I.E. "Actor ArtiFlask : CustomInventory Replaces ArtiHealth". "Use ArtiHealth" would use an ArtiFlask.) If not, would that be a possibility?

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”