pixel doubling missing from the menu in 2.3.1

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

pixel doubling missing from the menu in 2.3.1

Post by Guest »

Hello,

There used to be an option for pixel doubling (horizontal / vertical) in the video menus in zdoom so that PCs that didn't support the original game resolution could get the correct kind of display, but it is missing in version 2.3.1.

Thank you for your help,

S.

Re: pixel doubling missing from the menu in 2.3.1

Post by Guest »

(Also meant to say -- Thanks very much for running a great port of the original game. I've been having an awesome time this holiday replaying the original game and trying out the freedoom adaptation for the first time. Hope you're having a great winter too, and the best to the next year. Best, S.)

(P.S. My apologies that the post isn't formatted quite right, I tried to include everything from the directions but I didn't get the [2.3.1] in brackets at the beginning.)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Its not missing. That feature was removed intentionally as it was useless. Its intended purpose (faster rendering speed at lower quality) had no effect (if not hardly any) in zdoom's current rendering methods, and thus removed.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

you can try using the -2 and -4 command line options though.

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I thought the purpose of pixel doubling was so that you could get a 320 by 240 (or 200) style resolution on devices that only supported a minimum screen resolution of 640x480 to reproduce the original gameplay look on newer hardware. It's interesting that it was in there for speed originally, and taken out because it wasn't helpful in that respect.

Could someone maybe change the subject to "add pixel doubling to support original resolution style gameplay on newer hardware" and move this to the Feature Suggestion side of the forum instead? Or I could make the post over there myself if that's better. I'll wait for a reply before doing anything.

My apologies for posting it in the wrong place on the site, and thanks again for running a great DooM codebase.

Best,
S.

P.S. I'll try the -2 / -4 option, thanks for the tip on the commandline option InsanityBringer.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Zdoom is not old-school doom. If you want old-school doom, you might as well download the Chocolate Doom source port.

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I tried that command line option out and it totally did the trick. Thank you very much for the help with it.

Also, I'll check out ChocolateDoom later on maybe, I really like ZDoom and with the command line I can get it to run on my PC the way it used to. Thank you very much though for suggesting that I try it out though, I'll write down the name and give it a shot when I get back to school and real internet connections.

Hope that everyone had a great holiday and a nice new year!

Best,
S.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”