GZDoom Performance Problem

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
TIHan

GZDoom Performance Problem

Post by TIHan »

This is not meant to degrade GZDoom. Graf Zahl has worked his ass off creating an OpenGL port for us. However, there seems to be a problem with his OpenGL port.

Problem: FPS(Frames Per Second) The performance.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6513/gzdoomfps.png GZDoom - 1920x1080 Look at upper right to see FPS. (I took this screenshot) Hellcore 2.0 Map09
32 FPS

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4929/crysisfps.jpg Crysis - 1600x1024 (I didn't take this, but the hardware used is lower than what I am using now.)
33 FPS

Crysis beat GZDoom in performance by a frame *GASP*? (It's a joke.)

The point I'm trying to make here is that perhaps GZDoom is not... coded properly for OpenGL( not meant to degrade GZDoom or Graf, I can't code in OpenGL worth a damn ). There should be absolutely NO reason I am getting 30 FPS on such a low-detailed area(by Todays Games' standards, by Doom's standards it is detailed).

So here is what I am noticing while running around in (Doom Standard High-Detailed) Level Hellcore 2.0 Map 09.
Well at the start of this level, I get around 30-33FPS. Moving around the city, all of a sudden boom 200FPS, sometimes a 1000FPS then back down to 40FPS. Uh what the ****? Something obviously is not right here. I will tell you this though, my GPU is hardly being used at all. If GZDoom could take more control of the GPU's power, we might get better performance. This, is just a hypothesis. This may not be right, and might be all complete BS. I'm just telling you all that something is not right with GZDoom. Graf, what is your opinion on this matter? How come CPU Software Render runs better than a GPU Accelerated Render?(already going to answer this one, GZDoom uses dynamic lights and shaders, but they hardly do anything anyway).

To repeat my first sentence so that we have this clear:"This is not meant to degrade GZDoom. Graf Zahl has worked his ass off creating an OpenGL port for us."

Note: I did want to post this in GZDoom forums but I never got an e-mail for activation.

My Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit 7600 Build
AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.2ghz
ATI 4870x2 + nVIdia 9600GT
4 GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HD
edward850

Re: GZDoom Performance Problem

Post by edward850 »

Last time I checked, Gzdoom is a completely different engine to Crysis. Gzdoom isn't exactly made for wide open areas (from my understanding), unlike Crysis which is.
And for the record, I don't like your results, as I get much better performance in Gzdoom then I do in Crysis (9400GT, 512mb VRAM).
TIHan

Post by TIHan »

edward850 wrote:Last time I checked, Gzdoom is a completely different engine to Crysis. Gzdoom isn't exactly made for wide open areas (from my understanding), unlike Crysis which is.
And for the record, I don't like your results, as I get much better performance in Gzdoom then I do in Crysis (9400GT, 512mb VRAM).
TIHan wrote:(It's a joke.)
My results could be because of ATI. GZDoom favors Nvidia over ATI from my understanding. I guess I could try 9600gt to see what happens.

Using my 9600GT got me 60 FPS at 1440x900(can't do 1920x1080, 9600gt connect other monitor).
My ATI 4870x2 seems to get 30-33 FPS no matter what resolution its at.

(That's on Hellcore 2.0 map09)

GZDoom doesn't care about ATI cards?
Last edited by TIHan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

That's what happens when graf switches renderers. :|
I've also had some performance problems when I never did before..In some cases it drops to 30 FPS for not much of a reason(I'm guessing...ambient sounds..?), but most of the time it stays around 100.
Edit: I have a radeon X1550.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Was the performance for Hellcore Map09 really that much better in the old GZDoom renderer? Graf's explanation in another incredibly recent thread is that the map is constructed in such a way that plays a bitch with the Doom renderer in general. There's only so good it can get, I imagine.

In the end, it really boils down to the Doom engine not being meant to render so much at once... it's an optimization issue. Imagine attempting to achieve Doom 3 level detail and see if it performs as fast... :P
TIHan

Post by TIHan »

I was testing glboom+ on map09 and I was getting very close to 60FPS in hellcore 2.0 map09 player spawn on my ATI card. GZDoom was 32FPS.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Congratulations, you have just discovered one of the best maps that shows how not to map for Doom.

This particular map has one problem: There is absolutely nothing that blocks the view. So the engine has to traverse the entire level each single frame and pass everything to the graphics card. That just takes time - and some cards may simply not like it being treated like that.

A modern engine like Crysis was designed for such levels. Doom never was - and the best GL renderer can't change that. In fact with levels like this one some of the problems with 2.5D engines becomes apparent: They don't have anything for vertical view clipping so even standing in front of a wall doesn't stop the engine from trying to look behind it.

Concerning ATI, I need some more info. What year is this card from? What DirectX version does it support? What version of GZDoom are you using? Please post the startup log. Does speed improve when you start GZDoom with the command line parameter '-sm2'? This disables all shader effects designed for modern cards.

I don't have an ATI card so obviously I can't profile the engine for ATI specific bottlenecks. So if ATI doesn't like something that works fine on NVidia the chances are high that I don't know it and can't see it in the game.

Some information that may be interesting can be obtained by typing 'stat renderstats' at the console.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

30fps is fine. Never played vanilla Doom?

If you want a REAL FPS drop, try loading up UTnT ep3. I'm running GZDoom on a GF 8800GT and when you get to the big foggy underground cavern it drops to around 5-10fps.

Skulltag runs this part in GL mode on the same hardware with a bit of a drop (30-40) but nothing like that.

In fact, UTnT is the only mod which gives my system any problems at all. Might be all the scripts running in the background, I dunno.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

scalliano wrote:30fps is fine. Never played vanilla Doom?

If you want a REAL FPS drop, try loading up UTnT ep3. I'm running GZDoom on a GF 8800GT and when you get to the big foggy underground cavern it drops to around 5-10fps.
That's really weird. I only got a GF8600 and that area runs with well over 100 fps. What's your other specs (CPU, screen resolution, driver?)
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Could you tell me how I could post a startup log? and I use the latest GZDoom SVN if that helps.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

'gzdoom +logfile log'

But your problem sounds more like some background process is stealing time occasionally. It's most likely not engine related.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Yeah, sometimes I have Firefox running in the background, but i've closed it a lot when I'm starting things recently.
TIHan

Post by TIHan »

Graf Zahl wrote:Congratulations, you have just discovered one of the best maps that shows how not to map for Doom.

This particular map has one problem: There is absolutely nothing that blocks the view. So the engine has to traverse the entire level each single frame and pass everything to the graphics card. That just takes time - and some cards may simply not like it being treated like that.

A modern engine like Crysis was designed for such levels. Doom never was - and the best GL renderer can't change that. In fact with levels like this one some of the problems with 2.5D engines becomes apparent: They don't have anything for vertical view clipping so even standing in front of a wall doesn't stop the engine from trying to look behind it.

Concerning ATI, I need some more info. What year is this card from? What DirectX version does it support? What version of GZDoom are you using? Please post the startup log. Does speed improve when you start GZDoom with the command line parameter '-sm2'? This disables all shader effects designed for modern cards.

I don't have an ATI card so obviously I can't profile the engine for ATI specific bottlenecks. So if ATI doesn't like something that works fine on NVidia the chances are high that I don't know it and can't see it in the game.

Some information that may be interesting can be obtained by typing 'stat renderstats' at the console.
The Crysis vs. GZDoom was just a joke. Of course I understand both engines are different and should not be compared.

As far as hc2 map09, my ATI card is much faster than my nvidia and it gets lower frames on that map. To get you some info now, the 4000 series supports DirectX 10.1, Opengl 2.1. Testing prboom+ in opengl, I was getting very close to 60fps on that map at 1920x1080. I can provide stats for my card in GZDoom r5xx when I get home.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Graf Zahl wrote:
scalliano wrote:30fps is fine. Never played vanilla Doom?

That's really weird. I only got a GF8600 and that area runs with well over 100 fps. What's your other specs (CPU, screen resolution, driver?)
Intel P4 3.4Ghz
2GB RAM
Running at 1280x1024

Come to think of it, I haven't updated my drivers in a wee while - might be worth trying out.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Definitely. I got a speed increase of up to 50%, depending on the map, between 169.xx and 191.xx.

Return to “General”