Custom WAD files

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
pwnz0r

Custom WAD files

Post by pwnz0r »

Hello!

Sorry for asking a lame, but how can I play with zDoom with custom WAD files?
ZDoom and custom WAD/PK3 files
Should you wonder how to launch ZDoom with a custom WAD/PK3 file, see the wiki.
Short summary; it's almost always as easy as dragging the WAD/PK3 file(s) in question over (G)ZDoom.exe (and start playing with the appropriate IWAD).
The link is invalid, the method is not working.

What should I do to play with custom/downloaded wads?

Thnaks in advance!
Xaser

Re: Custom WAD files

Post by Xaser »

It's not too tough to get started -- First make sure you have a copy of your main game WAD (doom.wad or doom2.wad, for example) in a place where ZDoom can find it. This is usually the same directory you have ZDoom installed in, but if you happened to get Doom off Steam, ZDoom will automatically find it in that case.

Once you've got ZDoom running on its own (assuming you haven't already), loading a wad is as easy as dragging the wad and dropping it on zdoom.exe. If you're looking for a quick start, that's the way to go.

Another great option is ZDL, which allows you to load custom WADs in a list and launch 'em all at once. Give it a try.

Finally, if you're old-school like me, you can always use the command line and add the -file parameter plus the filename of the wad to load. For example,

Code: Select all

zdoom -file pwad.wad
will load a file called "pwad.wad" -- substitute the name of whatever it is you want to use, and you're set.

Choose the method that works best for you. Now travel henceforth and do noble things!
pwnz0r

Post by pwnz0r »

Thanks for help, now I can play! :)
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

pwnz0r wrote:The link is invalid
fixed

Return to “General”