Z-QUAKE: Doom TC of the Original Quake (RESOURCES UPDATE!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blade3327

Z-QUAKE: Doom TC of the Original Quake (RESOURCES UPDATE!)

Post by Blade3327 »

Z-QUAKE is the first total conversion for GZDoom based solely on the original Quake.
The objective is not only to bring 1996's 3D masterpiece to a modern Doom port, but to enhance it with features only available to GZDoom. There is no map-to-map level progression; instead, you'll be able to explore Hexen-style hubs each representing different dimensions, expanding Quake's universe. The mod's free-roaming environments will be packed with monsters and secrets. Weapons from Quake itself are at your fingertips, so players can combine them with useful artifacts and powerups to further the damage they deal within the chaotic worlds they face. Last but not least, the game features three classes, each with their own starting weapons and speeds, so choose wisely; some classes are tougher to play than others. This allows more experienced players to indulge in heavier firepower while sacrificing natural abilities.

CLASSES FINISHED:
Spoiler:
MONSTERS FINISHED:
Spoiler:
WEAPONS FINISHED:
Spoiler:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
LATEST SCREENSHOTS:

Last edited by Blade3327 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 71 times in total.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Z-QUAKE Doom TC of the Original Quake (Weps + PowerUps DEMO)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Blade3327 wrote:Unfortunately, the grenade launcher will not be featured in the game.
Coding issues? If so, I'm sure someone can help you out there. (Of course having the "grenade" launcher use "rockets" seems a little silly to me anyway...)
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Well, I made it so that the Quake weps literally replace the Doom 2 ones. I dunno. It's too much of a hassle. At least I'm not missing an iconinc Quake weapon...

The only coding issue I can think of would be editing item pickup messages or story messages. Some of these are shown in DECORATE (or whereever they are by default), but others aren't there. I just need to figure out what to type... Probably check the wiki on that one.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT:

I found one small bug with the WAD. Well, it's not really a bug. The offset on the pistol firing animation is one pixel too high. I'll fix this immediately, but it hardly warrants putting up a new version for download :) .
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Looks pretty good so far dude, best q1 weapons mod i've used, i'd have tried to implement more frames into the animations, but other than that it seems a pretty solid wad, good job blade.
Blade3327

Re: Z-QUAKE Doom TC of the Original Quake (2nd Graphics DEMO)

Post by Blade3327 »

Thanks, man. That's pretty much the thing. Quake's animations are really choppy, even though they're for 3D models. Kinda like 3D sprites, for lack of a better term.

Attention, all. The new graphics demo has been completed. In it you will find some basic menu graphics from Quake itself, a new HUD complete with fonts and the Quake Ranger's head (from QKEDOOM.WAD, the same WAD I'm getting the monsters from), and the fixed shotgun offset.
Know that this demo includes all of the features of the previous one, so you only have to drag the new WAD onto ZDoom. The old one's, well, history :P .

Now, I'll proceed to add all of the other sprites. Monsters, ammo, etc. Plus, that QKEDOOM.WAD (while seemingly more focused on Quake 2) has chasecam sprites of the Quake Ranger! It should turn out to be a pretty complete deal.

All extra information and updates are in the ReadMe. Go ahead and give it a looksee, before playing. Well, back to work. Hope you guys're enjoying the game, so far.

By the next update, I'll probably have to use a file hosting site for the project :mrgreen: .
EDIT:

Moved the new Graphics demo for Z-QUAKE to the first post.
Last edited by Blade3327 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

So sorry to double-post, but I have another attachment (describing a strange problem).

There are two very similar WADs from which I got my monsters. When I play one of them (in-game), the Fiend has green splotches on its sprites. The other WAD's Fiend does not have these (in-game). When I open these WADs in a WAD editor, both of the fiends have the splotches. In other words the sprites are the same, but for some reason, one of the WADs does not display the green splotches in-game.

I obviously used the monsters from the WAD without the problem. When I copied the sprites from the good WAD into mine, and played mine, I unexpectedly got the splotches.
Why would this happen when I play my WAD, but not when I play the resource WAD (whose resources I used for mine)? Also, if the sprites are supposedly the same in the WAD editors, why does one WAD lack the problem when in-game?
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

This has already been done with sprite rips:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14181

If you insist on using sprite rips, get them from here, and you cannot miss out the grenade launcher, that's ridiculous
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

aspect ratios mother funster do you correct it!!
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

It seems like it converted some pixels to a weird color when it converted it to 256 colors. You should make it a 256 color png beforehand, then use SLumpEd to import it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Blade3327 wrote:So sorry to double-post, but I have another attachment (describing a strange problem).

There are two very similar WADs from which I got my monsters. When I play one of them (in-game), the Fiend has green splotches on its sprites. The other WAD's Fiend does not have these (in-game). When I open these WADs in a WAD editor, both of the fiends have the splotches. In other words the sprites are the same, but for some reason, one of the WADs does not display the green splotches in-game.
Welcome to the world of palettes. Try testing that in GZDoom, which isn't constrained by the palette.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Well, I'll need some programming help for the grenade launcher. Since I don't wanna have to re program everything else, the grenade launcher should take the place of the 7th weapon slot. That way, the others can stay. Or to make the slots fit Quake, I can switch the keys for them.

@Toenail: Thanks for the heads-up :P , but those weps aren't so hot... I'll stick with mine. The monsters are pretty good; I could definitely play around with those. The menu Gfx (and fonts!!!) are better, too.
Plus, that HUD is also kinda nicer...

I guess I can do the rips for the grenade launcher today, no prob. But like I said, I'll need programming help to put 'em in.

@Gez: I tried running it in GZDoom, but to no avail.

@Everyone else: Could I simply open the Fiend sprites in SLumpEd and convert 'em all to PNG? Or would I have to extract them and reimport them already as PNG?
EDIT:

@Toenail: I'm sold. That WAD has everything I need in the monster, object, and gfx department. Like I said, I'll use my weps though.
No need to try and correct the Fiend issue. That sprite's goin' out the window :D .
Thing is, how do I get these sprites to work in ZDoom? Should I extract each of them individually, put 'em in Z-QUAKE, and change the DECORATE (or whatever it is) for them to work? Will I be able to select and place the monsters on the maps in Doom Builder, without any problems?
This part of the job is not stuff I usually do, so if I could get some pointers or suggestions, that'd be nice.

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and copy the gfx (menu stuff, HUH stuff) into Z-QUAKE. After that, I'll get the grenade launcher sprites ready to go. After that, I'll get the textures in. Afterthat, I dunno. Hopefully, you guys might be able to give me some tips, as EDGE and ZDoom are totally different ports...
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Are you using the doom playpal or a custom play pal? Either way, just use translation to change those greens to another color. You wont have to mess with the sprites that way.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

I found a YouTUbe video with some fine Quake 1 weapons in it - the WHOLE arsenal (minus Hipnotic laser and Mljolner, Rogue lava nails and rockets, etc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QqGK3TiJBA
DoomSplitter

Post by DoomSplitter »

I was actualy going to start a project called Zquake, but all I ever did was get some of the items coded. Anyways, good luck with the project.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

@Eriance: What's translation? Anyway, I'm already thinking to use the monsters from QDoom101.wad (the EDGE mod CaptainToenail suggested).
Those don't seem to have any color issues whatsoever, but due to the different port, how do I get those monsters into my WAD (and have them work in ZDoom)? That's probably the single biggest issue of the whole project. That and putting in the grenade launcher, plus changing the slots for each weapon...

Other than that, it'd be nice to change the item pickup messages. Anyway, those are the only obstacles...

@CodenniumRed: Thanks, but the video itself says the weapons are buggy. I'll look into it, though.
EDIT:

Well, I've chosen the music for the game. The title music will <of course> be the beginning of the Quake theme. The levels themselves will use songs from Quake's mission packs. To tone down size, Z-QUAKE is now seperated into two seperate WADs. The first contains all elements of the game (levels, sprites, programming, sounds, so forth) and the second contains the soundtrack.

The overall structure of the WAD has also been decided... It will have a total of 9 maps, the first of which is the area housing the slipgate. The other 8 maps will attempt to create some nice dynamic levels using the different regions of the original Quake. That way, each level will have different themes and places to go. Some wil be more castle-like, others more sci-fi oriented, etc.
I might change this and include more slipgates, but for now this is the plan.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”