[GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Firewolf

[GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Post by Firewolf »

Plain and simple (I hope). A new line for GLdefs that tells a dynamic light what textures to use.

So, for one specific light, instead of the normal circle texture, it could use something fun like this:

Maybe an extra line that has the name of the texture?

I pray this isn't too big of a request, since being able to define custom textures like the above could prove to have quite a few uses.

Also, the particles changing was an accident.
Last edited by Firewolf on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Re: Custom Dynamic light textures

Post by Ghastly »

Seconded, but please put a [GZDoom] tag on this, Fire :P.
Firewolf

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Post by Firewolf »

Aw, It got No'd.
Something in Gzdoom that would make a mess or something?
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

I actaully like this idea, what's wrong with it? :[
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

I think it was moved to the Closed section because GZDoom's own Feature Suggestions Forum would be a better place to post this.
Firewolf

Post by Firewolf »

Agent ME wrote:I think it was moved to the Closed section because GZDoom's own Feature Suggestions Forum would be a better place to post this.
I'd love to. But I can't seem to register over there.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Don't bother to suggest this again. Due to the way the light textures are handled they must be circular or it will look really strange.
Firewolf

Post by Firewolf »

Graf Zahl wrote:Don't bother to suggest this again. Due to the way the light textures are handled they must be circular or it will look really strange.
And if that's what people want to do? Hell, I found it pretty useful for projecting images like logos onto walls and floors without having to use decals or over 9,000 linedefs.
I even played with it a bit and made a monster that would have a creepy 'vine' mass following him around.

If it was No'd because of a coding error, or too much work, that's fine. But because it might "look strange"?

Also, It's only one texture, not two. That was my bad. :oops:
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Firewolf wrote:I found it pretty useful for projecting images like logos onto walls and floors without having to use decals or over 9,000 linedefs.
*Cough* Floor and ceiling decals anyone? In case anyone missed the posibility introduced in the screenshot, this could be a great way of making that floor scorch made by the Doom 3 teleportfog.

And there are plenty of other things in ZDoom that could look much wierder (Anyone tried that "Doomguy on crack" mod?).
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

I don't see that if there's only a risk of it looking strange, this isn't worth suggesting again. If there's a risk of it looking too strange (say if the light texture isn't square), couldn't the game default to using the circular one instead? I think what Firewolf has there looks good, if the light is a little misaligned to the floor, but I for one see there being all sorts of possibilities being opened to the modder with this, and honestly can't see it causing too many problems. In all, I think it's a reasonable suggestion if it's already possible, just not customizable.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Graf Zahl wrote:Due to the way the light textures are handled they must be circular or it will look really strange.
Custom textures can also look really strange if used improperly; I don't see your point...
Firewolf

Post by Firewolf »

Don't forget the ability to have cooler power-up indicators. (A pentagram cast around a player with invulnerability would be totally sweet.)
Hell, even a separate texture for things like flares and flashlights.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Listing potential abuses of such a feature sure won't make me consider it- The light texture is only there because I can't (yet) write an universal lighting shader that won't kill performance on anything but the most modern cards. Once I get to that dynamic lights will be done completely differently and all of this would become a major hindrance.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Graf Zahl wrote:The light texture is only there because I can't (yet) write an universal lighting shader that won't kill performance on anything but the most modern cards. Once I get to that dynamic lights will be done completely differently and all of this would become a major hindrance.
Ah, good enough reason. Still, the abilities this would have given a modder were quite intriguing...

Would dynamic lights be less laggy, after you finish that?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Only if you got a modern graphics card. That's the problem and the reason why I haven't done it yet. Shaders are still a major pain in the ass because the drivers force the programmer to do all the work instead of maintaining code variations internally. The result is that instead of one global shader I have to maintain 20 or more different variants already and adding new options will make it increase exponentially. Unfortunately Doom requires so many special effects that the way shaders have to be programmed is not particularly suited for it.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”