GZDoom and models.

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Lexus Alyus

GZDoom and models.

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I'm gathering that GZDoom can sue models now. Am I correct? What model formats are supported? Does it support Q1 MDL files? I like the Q1 models and they're easy to skin.

:ugeek:
DoomKn1ght_

Re: GZDoom and models.

Post by DoomKn1ght_ »

It support md2 , md3 and dmd I guess. :wink:
Duducrazy

Post by Duducrazy »

DoomKn1ght_ wrote:It support md2 , md3 and dmd I guess. :wink:
if GZDoom supports the Doomsday's .DMD files, then why no one haven't ported the Jdoom models yet?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Only MD2, MD3 and partial support of Doomsday's DMD. Nothing else. So no, no Quake MDLs.
Duducrazy wrote:if GZDoom supports the Doomsday's .DMD files, then why no one haven't ported the Jdoom models yet?
Doomsday uses a totally different approach and therefore syntax. It's not as simple as copy and paste. Furthermore, GZDoom doesn't support model alpha so some of Doomsday's models that use translucent textures won't look the same in GZDoom.

I think there's a partial Doomsday -> GZDoom model pack over at the Skulltag community though.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

So I can use Quake 2 models then? :D

I'm thinking of getting into modelling myself. Blender is free, so I'd use that, but is there a way to export or save Blender models as MD2/3?

Nash

Post by Nash »

Blender can't export to MD2 (which is a shitty format and should be avoided) or MD3, but there are user-written scripts that allow you to export into those formats. They are difficult to find, though... you have to scour around in the Blender community.

Oh and BTW, Blender has a high learning curve so good luck with that. Not to discourage you or anything - if you have the time and patience, then Blender's definitely bang for the buck because it costs you zero.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You said that you have downloaded my Burghead levels. If you've played them, you'll have seen quite a few models being used - although most of them are used for static decorations rather than enemies.

Cutman did a small zombie invasion level (that's a small level, not small zombies :lol: ) where the zombies were done with models and there is an example WAD kicking around somewhere of the Quake2 gunner fully implemented as a model enemy in GZdoom. Quake 2 models are pretty easy to use in GZdoom.

If you are making your own, as Nash said, go for the MD3 rather than the MD2 format if you can. The two main problems I had with MD2s is that a) the vertexes can move when you save the file making accurate placement of points and sharp edges almost impossible and b) if the model is animated, moving one area of the model may cause other areas to move slightly when you save the file. eg I had a stationary machine with a rotating wheel on the side as the wheel rotated the supposedly solid cube that was the rest of the machine wiggled and warped in time with it. :?
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Thanks a lot for that link Galaxy_stranger :). I've added it to my bookmarks ready for when I decide to install and attempt to learn Blender. The only reason why I picked that one is because it's free :D. I'll probably start with static models first just to learn the basics and then start to make more complex models with animation when I feel ready. That seems sensible :D.

Is Milkshape worth buying? I had a play with that years ago and it seemed to export to all formats.

@Enjay: I'm currently not that far into that mod, but I'll keep an eye out for those models when I'm playing it :).

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Lexus Alyus wrote:@Enjay: I'm currently not that far into that mod, but I'll keep an eye out for those models when I'm playing it :).
You're not looking hard enough. ;) Right at the player start, the little lamp hanging from the ceiling is a model, most of the bushes and trees you have walked past are too. Just around the corner, the beach tank traps are models, the trucks outside the house at the start of the second level are too... ;)
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Me=Mr Unobservant :D.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”