IWADs

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
enigma.rain

IWADs

Post by enigma.rain »

Alright, so I think I asked this before, but I can't find the topic, so I'm starting a new thread.

Anyway, where can I find the various IWADs that are compatible with the ZDoom, GZDoom, and Skulltag source ports. Anything made by ID or any official full IWADs would be awesome. I've been screwing around with Doom(2) and various mods for these gametypes, but I'd like to see what these other games like Hexen and Strife are like.

So, if you know any places to get these for free and hopefully legal, I'd appreciate it.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: IWADs

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Not going to happen. They haven't considered their software as abandonware yet so you won't be receiving any links any time soon.

You can search Amazon and get games for dirt cheap, though. I got a physical copy of Strife for a few dollars, and another of Hexen, also for only a few dollars (literally about 3.50 USD).
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

You could also shell out $10 for Heretic, Hexen, Hexen's expansion, and for a bonus, Hexen II. To use them in ZDoom, just go to the Steam folder, then the game's folder, then extract the .wad file.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Steam is your friend.
XutaWoo wrote:To use them in ZDoom, just go to the Steam folder, then the game's folder, then extract the .wad file.
Eh, if you bought them through Steam, ZDoom will find them automatically. No need for you to do any extra steps.
Project Shadowcat

While Steam had slipped my mind, you still can't get Strife from there.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

randy wrote:
XutaWoo wrote:To use them in ZDoom, just go to the Steam folder, then the game's folder, then extract the .wad file.
Eh, if you bought them through Steam, ZDoom will find them automatically. No need for you to do any extra steps.
Right-o. The only time one would need to consider extracting the wad is for editing; e.g. taking resources from the IWAD. That is, if one only intends to play Doom and not make levels, then there is no reason to extract the IWAD.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Project Dark Fox wrote:While Steam had slipped my mind, you still can't get Strife from there.
True, but Strife is available for download from Home of the Underdogs. Let's not turn this into another Strife legality issue, but I trust HOTU simply for the fact that they never host games still for sale (and of all the Doom engine games, only Strife is no longer sold) and they always obey any C&D orders. Suffice to say, if it's for download at HOTU, it's at least "legal enough" that you won't get in trouble for it. ;P

But otherwise, Steam's got it for the cheapest prices around ('cept maybe eBay but they're always a gamble).
enigma.rain

Post by enigma.rain »

I've played the Hexen port for the PSX and didn't get far because it required a full memory card to save, which was bull, and I'm not so excited about that one, but Strife is interesting.

@Xaser: I'll probably find it before you have a chance to post, but what's the URL for that site? I'll probably just delete this question if I do find it.

*EDIT ETT* So I found the site. Sorry for asking for it. I'm new to the modding community, so I don't know the popular sites. Thanks a lot for the help with this...Oh, and does anybody know any really good WADs made for the Doom Engine that are up to par with licensed IWADS?

*EDIT TVA* Okay, so on my dial-up connection, this file will take 6 hours to download, so does anybody know what files are need to play Strife in a ZDoom? I don't need anything that has to do with the engine, obviously, but I have no idea what all is needed for the source ports. HOTU has a feature that allows downloading individual files from withing a game. It's limited, but it's all I have right now. Please, help an annoying noob!
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Strife.wad
Voices.wad

Which should be all of the files in the download if I remember correctly. Sorry, you're going to have to suffer through 6 hours.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

XutaWoo wrote:Strife.wad
Voices.wad
Strictly speaking, voices.wad is optional. All it contains are the dialog audio, most (all?) of which is duplicated via text in the game.

Obviously, the game is much more enjoyable with the voices intact, however.
Project Shadowcat

HotWax wrote:Obviously, the game is much more enjoyable with the voices intact, however.
Got to say the voice acting was more than decent in that game.
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

XutaWoo wrote:Strife.wad
Voices.wad

Which should be all of the files in the download if I remember correctly. Sorry, you're going to have to suffer through 6 hours.
Strife1.wad *

You're best off downoading Strife off HOTU or something. Everything else you're gonna have to buy however, and like everyone else I suggest Steam. The IWADs are perfectly intact and you can do whatever you want with them, and if the games are ever lost for some reason or you're on another computer you can just download them again as much as you'd like.
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

HotWax wrote:Strictly speaking, voices.wad is optional. All it contains are the dialog audio, most (all?) of which is duplicated via text in the game.
A lot of times when Blackbird talks, especially when giving instructions, there is no screen cue, but the objectives menu is updated. Unless you're constantly checking your objectives menu after you get the communicator, it will be easy to get lost or miss certain things. Probably won't be unplayable, but I'd want the dialog.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Strife has one of the best voice acting casts ever, hands down. Especially for the time. System Shock was pretty good, too.

Anyway, just buy the damn game for 5 bucks off half.com, geez
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

HotWax wrote:Strictly speaking, voices.wad is optional. All it contains are the dialog audio, most (all?) of which is duplicated via text in the game.
The cutscenes which are just pictures don't have text, so you may have a problem understanding them (I find the ending pretty good even without the voices though).

Return to “General”