New weapon sprites - opinion/advice

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

maybe another hand? holding it like a shotgun :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Why not make it a proper flash? ie, one that gets laid over the gun. That way the flash sprite (and all the bits of the gun you want to be bright) can be bright whilst the underlying weapon isn't.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Better now? By the way, the projectiles will be orange now. About the flash, a proper one will be added when it's finally finished but that will do for now. About the hand, I thought about adding one to the other side holding a vertical lever, but I guess it looks fine at the moment.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think it's looking really pretty good but I still think there are some areas where it looks too blocky when you zoom in on it in a painting program. I've circled them. It really wouldn't take much to smooth them out a bit and it would make the weapon look a whole lot better. Remember, when it's in game, the weapon will take up quite a bit of screen "real estate" and those blocks will be quite big and obvious.

I also arrowed a line across the gun. The problem with this line (IMO) is that it is 3 pixels tall and all 3 rows are identical so, once again, it looks like something smaller that has been stretched bigger. A bit of variation throughout the height of this line would look good.

On the hands thing - I think it would be improved by a second hand somewhere. Just having one hand on it gives the impression that it is only being held by one hand. As a result, the weapon either looks odd because it is a large weapon that looks too big (and consequently heavy) to be held like that or it is actually a tall weapon being held to the side "gangsta style" - which also looks odd.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

From the looks of the weapon, it looks like it's heavy. With that in mind, I think that you should add another hand.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Actually, all you need to do is change the hand to the left side, because the doomguy is left-handed. I like the idea that the other one is holding the weapon from below.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Now that's HANDY!

Sorry couldn't resist, but it sure is a useful sheet (steal) :)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

XutaWoo wrote:Actually, all you need to do is change the hand to the left side, because the doomguy is left-handed. I like the idea that the other one is holding the weapon from below.
Seems to me that the Doomguy is left-handed with a cross-dominant eye, so any two-handed weapon should be held right-handed and any one-handed weapon left-handed, so that the gun could always be lined up with the right eye.

So that said, guessing at how that gun should be held given that visible hand position, yeah it probably should be flipped so that it should be resting on the right side of the Doomguy's body.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm also in favour of having the second hand unseen and implicitly supporting the weapon from below. If neither hand were doing that, wouldn't the weapon mostly be supported by the Doomguy's body resulting in a very, very odd shooting position? (Though I suppose no worse than the chaingun or BFG...)
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Well, if you've tried the Hailstorm wad you will be able to see the sprites ingame, they don't look as bad.
Gez

Post by Gez »

CaptainToenail wrote:Image

Better now?
Yes, better. Though I'd recommend more work on the vent flashes. Look at how it is in the out of gun flash, you have about the same three color ranges but it's more mixed. So try to avoid having two identical lines. Just sprinkle with some slightly different pixels.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Anyone ever wonder why most of those hand images show Doomguy wearing gloves (on both hands), while some show him without? ;)
Risen

Post by Risen »

I also wonder why he changes handed-ness with different weapons.
Gez

Post by Gez »

His arms' hairiness changes, too. Also, he alternates between gloves on both hands, brass knuckles on both hands, and bare right hand with brass knuckles on the left hand.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Maybe he's just really quick with his gloves and brass knuckles, and has hair disorders? Being ambidextrous doesn't seem to harm him either :P
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

@Risen: http://forum.zdoom.org/potato.php?p=296534#296534

As for the gloves, they are clearly a living weapon similar to the Witchblade or Spawn's cloak. They turn into a spiked iron ring when the Doomguy has to punch something, and a pair of gloves when he must keep his skin soft and supple while handling heavy, rough, and often overheating weapons. And they sometimes turn into hair, to boost his manly rating among the imp-ladies.

Return to “General”