Replace Big [DOOM] Font with Big [QUAKE] Font in ZDoom

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Tormentor667

Replace Big [DOOM] Font with Big [QUAKE] Font in ZDoom

Post by Tormentor667 »

Does someone know how I can replace the large DOOM Font in ZDoom with the large QUAKE Font? So, for example, each text I type with hudmessage in the BIGFONT of Doom is displayed in the BIGFONT of Quake?! Do you know what I mean? Also in Intermission screens, I want to see the Quake BIGFONT instead of the Doom BIGFONT.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Replace Big [DOOM] Font with Big [QUAKE] Font in ZDoom

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Tormentor667 wrote:Does someone know how I can replace the large DOOM Font in ZDoom with the large QUAKE Font? So, for example, each text I type with hudmessage in the BIGFONT of Doom is displayed in the BIGFONT of Quake?! Do you know what I mean? Also in Intermission screens, I want to see the Quake BIGFONT instead of the Doom BIGFONT.
Doesn't Doom have some fonts in graphic lumps? You could replace those using a new wad (To maintain compability. =P)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

THe large Doom font is stored in the font lump DBIGFONT so you need at least some knowledge how to create a font for ZDoom.

For the intermission screens it is a bit harder because the texts are complete graphics. You can find some which use the Quake font in Project:Slipgate or Dissolution.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

So... is there already a QUAKE font as a replacement for the DBIGFONT?
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

This thing is pretty easy if you know how to do it, only takes a long ammount of time (especially if you want your font to replace the entire font in Doom, naming all that stfcn00xx shit is horribly tedious!)

1.Dan, you first need to learn about font creation in general, usage of the imagetool thingy and how to set it up correctly for proper conversion.
http://www3.telus.net/NeoHippo/TUTORIAL ... Fonts.html

2.Now you'll need the quake font. Big font uses dimensions of 16 for the glyphs' height, so you'll need to make your font sheet out of 16 pixels high quake font and then convert it to a font.lmp with image tool.

3.Put your font into your wad. If you want it to replace Doom's bigfont name it "DBIGFONT". Otherwise, name it however you want and call it from a script via setfont
script 667 enter
{
setfont("insert quake font name here");
print (s:"This is my font, Admire");
}
If you provide me with the quake letters (glyphs) I can make such a font in a matter of 1-2 hours.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

I'm curious.
Why doesn't Torm just map for Quake. I mean most his maps use all the Quake textures anyways :wink:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Because Doom is the better game, perhaps?

Quake textures != Quake!
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Arguably :p
But I was joking anyways.
It's not my fault TNT3 feels a lot like Quake with Doom's monsters :wink:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nmn wrote:If you provide me with the quake letters (glyphs) I can make such a font in a matter of 1-2 hours.
I have no idea how to recreate or even get the glyphs... thats the problem :( I have a QUAKE Font but it's hard to create beautiful pixelated letters out of this buggy thing. Isn't there each glyph in the QUAKE.PAK ?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh and by the way, I just need the letters and numbers in the QUAKE Bigfont, nothing else, no special signs, if this makes things easier! Except those which are needed in the INTERMISSION screen!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Okay, here it is, what I could collect, maybe you NMN can use that or even add missing stuff if necessary, otherwise, I'll use what I can get!
I made two variants, choose the one that's better for color transition later (so that white letters look white and red ones look doom-font-red, or change them yourself)

Thx in return for your help ;)
And sorry, that some of them are capital and others not... but that's how the source looks like, hope you can do a workaround sometimes.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

*update*
Fine, all the stuff is replaced, smallfont, menuegraphics, but I still need this DBIGFONT replacement :( It looks like shit, if DOOM Fonts are mixed with QUAKE fonts and some areas of the menue and ingame need this!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

*push* I still need this :( Disolution and Slipgate and QDoom have maybe more glpyhs?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

*push* No one able/willed to help me with that? :(
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

You can, of course, try doing it yourself if you need it so bad.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”