Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
7Soul

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Post by 7Soul »

I'm very interested in that visual mode decal idea

Edit: or just make the decal visible in the selection window
Last edited by 7Soul on Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Trying to run latest version of UDB on ubuntu 22.04.04 through wine gives error:
Fatal Non-UI Error: Requested fontfamily could not be found and a pretty long error window.

Could this be fixed by any way? Running UDB through Steam Proton 8.0.5 works fine, but on my 2K laptop screen the UI is way too tiny and I don't know how to scale proton app ui, as proton doesn't have winecfg...I can use it through Proton only by lowering screen resolution, which is little bit unpleasant...
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch

Post by axredneck »

ramon.dexter wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:57 amTrying to run latest version of UDB on ubuntu 22.04.04 through wine gives error:
Fatal Non-UI Error: Requested fontfamily could not be found and a pretty long error window.
Try `winetricks corefonts`.
Or try to compile native Linux version.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

axredneck wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:37 pm Or try to compile native Linux version.
Okay, this helped. I tried installing corefonts, but for some reason the error was still popping up.
Compilation of linux version took around five minutes, so this is a go. And it looks nice, so problem solved. Guess I'll just have to keep up with the updates...
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

7Soul wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:03 am I'm very interested in that visual mode decal idea
Same. It can be annoying to line up decals, especially when trying to align them to texels on an angled wall.
TheSartremaster
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows10 / Ubuntu 22.04.3
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TheSartremaster »

Hi,
I have Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS and compiled the Linux native version of UDB.
I have the issue that that every time I try to open a resource directory, UDB crashes with a "Fatal Windows Forms error occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

https://imgur.com/a/ERiDctT

Selecting pk3 and WADs works fine. The error persists if I use Wine on the x64 archive version.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? I have not seen this issue around, so I suspect there is maybe a config error on my part?
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Okay, one thing that troubles me: is the linux version little bit out-dated, or is the versioning on linux just different? Windows version is like version 46xx, while linux is only 3247...is that a problem, or linux version has different numbering?
boris

Post by boris »

The version number is set by the Windows build script (build_git_generic.cmd), so if you're compiling yourself it'll always show the old version set in the files. It's the same if you compile it yourself in Visual Studio on Windows without the build script.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

So, if I cloned the repository from official github, I have the latest one, feature - side, even if it shows older build number? That's good to know.
ClaireIsMemed
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): windows 10

Post by ClaireIsMemed »

hiya i cant seem to get it to test my maps when i try to test them it says "unable to start the test program, Win32Exceptions: The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform."
boris

Post by boris »

Looks like you're trying to run the DOS doom.exe. That does not work on modern Windows. Try some port instead (like GZDoom, Chocolate Doom, DSDA-Doom).
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Okay, another report from ubuntu. Linux version is behaving weird, every second or third return to 3d mode locks off keyboard...and through wine, it is actually impossible to write into text fields, crashes instantly...

So, if anyone wonders, present state of udb is completely impossible to use on ubuntu 22.04 with wayland...
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Not much we can do about it unfortunately. When we ported it to mono we didn't know their winforms implementation had been effectively abandoned.

The only way out of this situation I had success with involved forking mono winforms and put it into UDB itself. This would make it use the same framework both for Windows, Linux and macOS. The catch is that it would still require fixing some bugs in the implementation. While theoretically possible, it required more work than I'm willing to put into such a project on a hobby basis.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Over on Doomworld, Johnny_Vicc_007 had an interesting question How to make linedef give damage.
While my answers was rather simplistic, JaySmithen showed a working script.

So, I wondered, is it possible to simplify this with a few keys in UDMF with Edit Linedefs -> custom

I drew a complete blank on finding any information on how this works.
The Reference Manual and a forum search were no help.
Is there a list of predefined properties and how to make user properties,
and how this works in general.
boris

Post by boris »

Uh... you can see a list of predefined properties right in your screenshot. The ones listed are what's in https://github.com/ZDoom/gzdoom/blob/ma ... _zdoom.txt, but not handled by the UI.

You add custom properties by clicking on the "(click to add custom field)" text, which - judging from the screenshot - you already did.

I'm not aware that GZDoom is capable of doing damage-on-bump out of the box, but of course it should be possible to implement it in ZScript based on custom UDMF properties of a line. But that's out of scope for this thread and should go to the scripting forum.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”