ReLite

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: ReLite

Post by cosmos10040 »

Current version works great! I have a question, is there any support for voxels? Using leds Generic weapons the shadows for voxels are too big. Also I have been noticing the sky sometimes rendering ans someimes, not not sure if this is an issue of relite.
Hey Doomer_
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

cosmos10040 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:54 pm Current version works great! I have a question, is there any support for voxels? Using leds Generic weapons the shadows for voxels are too big. Also I have been noticing the sky sometimes rendering ans someimes, not not sure if this is an issue of relite.
Thanks!

Voxels and other models based on sprite animations need assets created by the included Python script (in the rlassets folder). This script extracts, blurs, and saves the new sprites with randomly generated names. This means installing Python and dependencies (takes a minute or so). From a CMD prompt looks something like this once everything you need is in a folder:

Code: Select all

python rlassets.py -i DOOM.WAD -o blurry.pk3 -m relite.pk3
This assumes that you don't mind blurry shadows (they look great with voxels since they are still Doom sprites, but how blurry can easily be changed) and you have a copy of relite called relite.pk3. Once this is done load blurry.pk3 along with your other mods. It takes a few seconds to extract and convert DOOM sprite assets. The Python script (I'm working on help for this) also can extract from multiple pk3 or WAD files. The reason Python is needed is simply because ZScript can't generate assets.

"Also I have been noticing the sky sometimes rendering ans someimes, not not sure if this is an issue of relite." - no idea what this means. Custom skies are ignored, since all textures and sprites are read from a WAD file. Haven't done that yet.
cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

I have no idea how to do that lol. But i found the issue was a mod called day/ night cycle not showing the skies.
Hey Doomer_

ReLite 0.6.7a Released

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

11/23 - general code cleanup, minor bug fixes
11/25 - all tiers have same light level
11/26 - added eave directional lighting
11/29 - added xskew to seekwalls() to correct for tall/narrow or short/wide textures
12/1 - corrected decorative light dispersement

The eave directional lighting is indoor and outdoor. Example:

e1m1

This is baked, although I suppose it could be dynamic. I've also corrected numerous bugs that affect lighting and corrected directional lights. Indeed all non-fluid lighting this mod uses is now "directional" i.e. flattened spotlights. You can see this in lightbox images on opposite walls, directional eave shadows, and lighting that hits a ceiling or floor but not both. These are generally applied in sectors with brightmapped textures, although outside sectors are the exception.

I've also added a slight tweak to baked texture lighting to allow for texture line defs that are much wider than tall and vice versa, since this is all-or nothing.

Many thanks for the continued interest. Let me know what you think!
cortes2k
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by cortes2k »

Dude, let me congratulate you again for such an extraordinary job, I have tried the latest version and it is incredible. It is very stable, lightweight and the lights look beautiful. Remember when you wondered about the light coming in through the windows? Well, they look great, very natural, as if the skylight came through the windows. Here I leave screenshots with some scenes from my own map. Congratulations! very good work. https://imgur.com/a/wh7XNoW
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

cortes2k wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:34 pm Dude, let me congratulate you again for such an extraordinary job, I have tried the latest version and it is incredible. It is very stable, lightweight and the lights look beautiful. Remember when you wondered about the light coming in through the windows? Well, they look great, very natural, as if the skylight came through the windows. Here I leave screenshots with some scenes from my own map. Congratulations! very good work. https://imgur.com/a/wh7XNoW
Thanks man! Epic screenshots!
Carrotear
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Carrotear »

I made a few vids on this mod in action. There are FPS drops, but it was worth it.

Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

Carrotear wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:28 am I made a few vids on this mod in action. There are FPS drops, but it was worth it.

These are great. Thanks!
naidrox

Post by naidrox »

Is this mod supposed to have a configuration menu? Because if so, I can't seem to be able to find it. I'm genuinely very concerned because the visuals look drastically different from the previous mod and I'm wondering if it's because somehow I have something set up the wrong way or if that's just how the new mod looks. I just can't help feeling like I'm not getting the full extent of the mod, like something is not working right. Admittedly, I've done 99% of my testing on just E1M1 but it feels like a decent benchmark map for my needs.

I tried running the python script with the wads and pk3s that I was using and now GZDoom either crashes or freezes whenever I try to load a map with the mod, so I probably fumbled something along the way, I'll try to reinstall the entire thing.

I need to get some work done right now, but I'll post some screenshots later to better express my concerns.
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

naidrox wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:25 am Is this mod supposed to have a configuration menu? Because if so, I can't seem to be able to find it. I'm genuinely very concerned because the visuals look drastically different from the previous mod and I'm wondering if it's because somehow I have something set up the wrong way or if that's just how the new mod looks. I just can't help feeling like I'm not getting the full extent of the mod, like something is not working right. Admittedly, I've done 99% of my testing on just E1M1 but it feels like a decent benchmark map for my needs.

I tried running the python script with the wads and pk3s that I was using and now GZDoom either crashes or freezes whenever I try to load a map with the mod, so I probably fumbled something along the way, I'll try to reinstall the entire thing.

I need to get some work done right now, but I'll post some screenshots later to better express my concerns.
The options menu is located at the bottom of the GZDoom Options menu.

The only configuration is to load a texture brightmaps mod. ReLite takes care of reading WAD lumps for flats and textures and assigning colors.

The python script can create a pk3 of the modified sprites for shadows and modify ReLite as well, although both of these have to be loaded.
naidrox

Post by naidrox »

Ok, I think I've found the source of my options menu issue.

It does in fact show up in the GZDoom options - but only if you have the simple options menu opened. I normally have it disabled so that I always open up the full options menu and it seems like ReLite's settings don't show up in there. You might want to look into that.
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:07 pm Voxels and other models based on sprite animations need assets created by the included Python script (in the rlassets folder). This script extracts, blurs, and saves the new sprites with randomly generated names. This means installing Python and dependencies (takes a minute or so). From a CMD prompt looks something like this once everything you need is in a folder:

Code: Select all

python rlassets.py -i DOOM.WAD -o blurry.pk3 -m relite.pk3
This assumes that you don't mind blurry shadows (they look great with voxels since they are still Doom sprites, but how blurry can easily be changed) and you have a copy of relite called relite.pk3. Once this is done load blurry.pk3 along with your other mods. It takes a few seconds to extract and convert DOOM sprite assets. The Python script (I'm working on help for this) also can extract from multiple pk3 or WAD files. The reason Python is needed is simply because ZScript can't generate assets.
I tried on Ubuntu Linux, but the script appears to have an issue with saving into folders. All files were called "sprites\xxxx.png" and were placed into the main folder instead of the sprites subfolder. The backslash is no valid folder separator in Linux, but the slash :)
Can this be fixed, pls?
EDIT: I tweaked the script myself, so this worked this time. Yet, a generic fix would be appreciated.
Last edited by Pa9an on Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

naidrox wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:08 am Ok, I think I've found the source of my options menu issue.

It does in fact show up in the GZDoom options - but only if you have the simple options menu opened. I normally have it disabled so that I always open up the full options menu and it seems like ReLite's settings don't show up in there. You might want to look into that.
I have the same problem.
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

Pa9an wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:39 pm
I tried on Ubuntu Linux, but the script appears to have an issue with saving into folders. All files were called "sprites\xxxx.png" and were placed into the main folder instead of the sprites subfolder. The backslash is no valid folder separator in Linux, but the slash :)
Can this be fixed, pls?
EDIT: I tweaked the script myself, so this worked this time. Yet, a generic fix would be appreciated.
Nice! Thanks for that. Yeah the script was a quick job to extract and transform images. I didn't make it cross platform compatible. :roll:
naidrox

Post by naidrox »

I've noticed that GZDoom will crash if I'm using ReLite with texture brightmaps from BMPlus (viewtopic.php?t=64299) and I load into the testing map (viewtopic.php?t=57221). Everything is fine if I'm using just one of them. So far I haven't ran into this issue on other maps.

There's also the issue where ReLite settings are only accessible from the simple settings menu in GZDoom, not the full one, which I've mentioned before but hasn't seen adressed whatsoever.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”