[Resolved] Resolution problems when running under 1024x768

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

My previous video card had what they call VIVO (Video In/Video Out). It's a single port that you plug an included splitter cord into, that gives you both S-Video in and out on the same card. Of course you could also use a capture card if you don't have such a port on your video card.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Sound would be easy for me as I'd just plug the red and black cables into my mixer, or, pludg my headphones onto those black and red cables (the audio left and right signal). IO have this nifty device that takes two mono channels and joins them ionto one stero jack... then I have a device that is two stero jack inputs. I plug one end onto the single stero sound from the console and the other end is where my headphones go. Simple This works for any console that hs the seperate plugs on the cable (The yellow, red and black ones. Don't connect the yellow one to it because that is the video signal).

It sounded great for Silent hill 2 on the PS2... the sound was all high quality (of course, because a TV's speakers... or my TV at the time, was low quality mono). If I turned the lights off and waited till it was completely dark ourtside it would make afor a really scary atmosphere... I couldn't do it because it just scared the crap out of me!

I also used the same meyjod to record the whole of the Kolonoa 2 sound traclk onto my PC... it worked and sounded great... then I made MP3's and it was cool... then my hard drive failed and I lost the files :(. Ever worsae, my PS2 died ansd then Klonoa 2 dissapeared alonmg with some of my all time favorite PS2 games (namely Devil May Cry). My house is full of conspiricies you know...

Anyway, my main question is this: I looked at the back of my GC and it is plugged into what says "Analogue output". Next to it is a slightly different connector that says "Digital output". I'm starting to slowly understand that I must get a digital connector and then everything will be fine and look good. ATM the anologue is in fact plugged into the three jack inputs (red, black (or white) and yellow). So, will this digital cable make my screen for my GC look crisper? ATM it's really blurred... I can see everything, but the blurry ness disturbs me... esp[eciallyt as I know the TV can produce better images (because my comp[uter screen is perfectlt crisp). Hay, if this wortks then I'm gonna run the audio into my mixer and through my yAmaha studio monitor speakers. Not only will it look good, but it will sound beyhond beleife! :D. /me is excited that his TV is poitentially a good buy :).

:twisted:
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

The component cable plugs into the digital output port, and provides a progressive-scan signal to the TV, so yes it will look more crisp once you have that.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Cool, thanks for that info :). No I just gotta do me some shopping :D.

Spunkman

Post by Spunkman »

MasterOFDeath wrote:Go into a lower resolution so you can see the menu, and try turing on/off "use attached surfaces" and "direct draw pallete hack". Also, you could try playing in a window, if you already are, try fullscreen. If nothing still works, just play the lowest resolution your card can handle.
that appears to have done it. the direct draw and attached surfaces, i mean. i'm pretty sure i'd tried that before with no luck, but this time it works. so, cheers.
Piezo

Post by Piezo »

HotWax wrote:things about cathode ray tube technology
What is the deal with the frequency, where televisions work at 85Hz, while monitors usually work from 60 - 85Hz, but then there is this big thing about the fps. A powerful game can take the rate down to 10fps, doom.exe was capped at 35fps, but 60fps is nice and most video cards have a ceiling of 200fps. What are these two animals? I thought they were the same thing, because Hz is cycles per second, and fps is frames per second, so I think it was a pretty honest mistake. I read this, and it seemed to be pretty informative, but I couldn't conclude much from it.
HotWax wrote:The component cable plugs into the digital output port, and provides a progressive-scan signal to the TV, so yes it will look more crisp once you have that.
You mean the VGA (standard monitor plug, I think that's the name of it) or the DVI (some LCD screens have it) port?
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

No, he was talking about a gamecube in that last one. The 60Hz thing was probably a gamecube thing too... sorry, it was my fault, I asked him about it :D.

HotWax

Post by HotWax »

The frequency is how fast the monitor or TV scans in the next image, and therefore the maximum ACTUAL frames that you'll be seeing on that device each second. I can get Quake 3 to run >300FPS for me, but that doesn't mean my monitor is going to be showing me more than 85. (However it does give a VERY nice margin when the action heats up and the frames start dropping)
Piezo wrote:You mean the VGA (standard monitor plug, I think that's the name of it) or the DVI (some LCD screens have it) port?
I'm talking about the GameCube's Digital AV Out port. It's a proprietary port that you plug one end of the Component cable into. The other end has three RCA-style plugs that are colored red, green, and blue. These connect to the Component In ports on your digital television.

Alternative, you can modify the cable fairly easily to convert the output into a VGA signal (the chip Nintendo happened to use can do either, and you can toggle its mode with a quick soldering job), but you'll then need to cut off the component plugs and replace that end of the cord with a VGA port.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Red gree and blue... don't you mean red, white (sometimes black) and yellow? Red and white (or black) are for left and right audio and yellow is for video.

Risen

Post by Risen »

Lexus: That's composite video (1 signal). Hotwax is talking about component video (Multiple signals).
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

More specifically, he's talking about A/V cables, which have three plugs:

Yellow: Video (composite) signal
Red: Right audio output
Black/White: Left audio output

I'm talking about a component cable, which uses three jacks to generate one high-quality video signal. Rather than compositing all the hue and brightness information in a single signal, the component cable separately sends the red, green, and blue color data to the television, in much the same way that VGA monitors work. You can even see this in action by unplugging one or two of the cables while the system is on; the picture will lose the particular color that you unplugged. (Unplugging the green cable, for example, with bath the screen in violet-tones)

Unlike an A/V cable, a component cable only carries the video signal, so you'll still need to use the red & white (or black) jacks from your A/V cable to provide the audio.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

60 hz is usually 60 fps,. at least with atari.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

That's what I said. :P
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Urm... I don't have these connectors on my TV... I just have the black/red and yellow ones... my computer is plugged in via a VGA cable though... does this mean that i'd have to mod the cable and unplug my PC to play the GC? Or am I missing something here?

:edit: I've just looked at my GC manual and it is indeed indicating that the RGB cable is a scaart connection... is this correct? If so, then is this RGB seperate input thing an American thing? I've never experianmced such ports on any of our TV's... even the most modern things. If this is the case then I'd like to rant about it... WHY THE FUCK MUST EVERY COUNTRY HAVE DIFFERENT FUCKING CONNECTIONS AND PLUGS!? It's stupidly ridiculouse as it makes things more complicated! >.<

Piezo

Post by Piezo »

AFAIK, those connections are pretty new. It seems to me that the reason they are split is the same reason a VCR has multiple recording heads. Each head records a different line or band than the other to reduce noise in the signal which in turn improves the quality.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”