How to load custom maps in Zdoom or Skulltag?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
PappakenoO

How to load custom maps in Zdoom or Skulltag?

Post by PappakenoO »

I can't figure out how to load a custom map in Zdoom or Skulltag. In skulltag you can choose to load additional PWADs but even after i have added the pwad and started the server, it says "no map mapname". I have also tried do add -file blabla.wad, and i have tried to type "map mapname.wad" in the ingame console, nothing works :( In Doom Legacy i could just typ "map mapname.wad" in the ingame console, however that is not the case in ZDoom.
Ninja_of_DooM

Post by Ninja_of_DooM »

PappakenoO

Post by PappakenoO »

I have done so, it does not work for me :(
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Type -file in the command line, not the console. In other words, click on the big "start" button in the bottom left of the Windows desktop, then click "Run", and type the stuff in there.
Wills

Post by Wills »

I just set ZDoom as the default program to run WAD files, so I can just double-click the WAD and run it.
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

Or try a frontend, such as UNLEASHED or ZDL.

My personal favourite is UNLEASHED, because its big and has alot of unnessesary features. :P
Wasted Youth

Post by Wasted Youth »

Drag and drop the wad to zdoom.exe or skulltag.exe
chaoscentral

Post by chaoscentral »

or do my favorite, set it as a right click property... I can edit and run with the click of a button...
Kles

Post by Kles »

As Wasted Youth said, just drag the .WAD file on to the zdoom.exe file in the folder and it should work. Simple as that.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

I find using the command line especially useful when testing my maps...
zdoom -file whatever.wad -iwad doom2(or any other iwad name, suffix not neccesary) -warp 1
...check stuff, make mental notes, quit, tab to DB, do some fancy stuff, tab back to the command line, press up and return, voila, at map01... But I don't think I'm the only one doing this ;)
rpeter

Post by rpeter »

Actually, the way user map support is implemented in Doom is ancient. The lumps in every given wad are read in at startup, so there's no way to launch another wad (map) just like in Quake or even in JDuke. Unless Randy implements some dinamic wad loading system. Looks like Legacy has already got one.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Actually, I don't really see the use of dynamic WAD loading because it could interfere with already loaded ones. You'd have to flush the whole WAD buffer (maybe not the IWAD), so if you'd want to load several maps from the console, you'd have to type them all correctly, which can be a pain in the ass, especially with newer /idgames WADs, because their names are crippled long names, made to fit in 8.3... And if you'd like to keep already loaded WADs, like monsters/weapons/graphics WADs, you have to type them too. So basically, you'd have to remember the involved WADs by heart or write them down on a sheet of paper or something, because if you have to go back to Explorer or whatever to check the filename, you're better off with just restarting ZDoom with the new WADs... I mean, it doesn't take long to start on an average PC.
Of course, if it's a self-contained WAD, it wouldn't be much hassle to pull down the console and write "load mapname.wad" or something, but since ZDoom doesn't use that long to start up on most PC's, you could just quit and use drag'n drop...
rpeter

Post by rpeter »

No wonder most Quake source ports have directory listing enhancement for the console.

Anyway, I'm not pushing this issue, just an understanding why newbies find the Doom way awkward. No games use such method for some 10 years now.
Belial

Post by Belial »

That's one of the reasons I like ZDoom.

The power of the command-line is not to be underestimated. :)
cacodemon65

Re: How to load custom maps in Zdoom or Skulltag?

Post by cacodemon65 »

:cheers: put the wads map and addmap command :D

Return to “General”