ZDoom for Raspberry Pi [Update!]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Csonicgo

ZDoom for Raspberry Pi [Update!]

Post by Csonicgo »

UPDATE: I've pushed in the SDL2 code. As a result, X11 is now required, and slow surface drawing is required, until SDL2 devs get their acts together. If you want to help out and put SDL1.2 code back, I would appreciate it greatly.

Apologies if this has been done before, but in honour of Doom's 21st birthday, I hacked up a port of ZDoom for the Raspberry Pi! I used Chris's OpenAL fork as the base, and made some rpi-specific tweaks.

Here is a screenshot to prove I'm not lying:
Spoiler:
And here are some screenshots of Action Doom:

Image Image
Image Image

If you don't notice anything different, that's because there are no differences! Hooray!

I will try to make a .deb of this for Raspbian Stable, but for the most part, you'll need to compile this yourself. It'll take quite a bit of time, but it's worth it.
Last edited by Csonicgo on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZDoom for Raspberry Pi

Post by Kinsie »

This is pretty cool! What's performance like?
Csonicgo

Re: ZDoom for Raspberry Pi

Post by Csonicgo »

Kinsie wrote:This is pretty cool! What's performance like?
Vanilla IWAD maps get about 60 fps @ 640x480 in framebuffer mode. More complex maps do slow down quite a bit. Perhaps some platform-specific optimizations on the compiler side would help this (or using a newer GCC, which I haven't attempted yet).

I'll attempt to "rice" it a bit and see what I get out of it.

Return to “General”