OpenGL Hack Bloom in GZdoom (Continued Discussion)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
ibm5155

Re: OpenGL Hack Bloom in GZdoom (Continued Discussion)

Post by ibm5155 »

He cant find the opengl32.dll
Is he creating the file on another folder?
Nash

Post by Nash »

It creates opengl32.lib and opengl32.exp in the Release directory but doesn't actually link anything thus the DLL is never created.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

hmm, maybe opengl32.dll isn´t created.
If you copy the opengl32.dll from ENBSeries and paste on release folder I think its going to work (maybe opengl32.dll is a generic library...[like stdio.h])

If it´s going to be implemented I think in two solutions for bloom in textures that shouldn´t have it
1)create some file (like BLOOM.lmp) that you put all the names of the textures/sprites that should have bloom, the others that´re not on the list wouldn´t be affected (like a ice wall)
2)for better effects it could use some a secondary textures/sprite for special things, it would be white on the places of the sprite that should have bloom and black for the parts that shouldnt have it (ex:spider mastermind, the legs should have bloom, but the head no)

It may be a dream, but with some coding i
think at least the first one should be easy todo...

EDIT:
it looks like with hd texture pack the bloom is more high see (and 3D vs sprites)
Spoiler:
taked from zandronum
Nash

Post by Nash »

Finally figured out my problem, thanks to the author! The MSVC++ project files included a Post Build event that copies the final DLL to a predetermined directory. Removing the post build event lets the DLL sit nicely in the /Release directory, exactly where I expect it to be.

Time to get some custom SSAO algorithms going!

EDIT:

Regarding the issue of bloom affecting unwanted textures: I don't think there is an easy fix. All the shader seems to be doing is post processing the screen. Even some modern games suffer from this unwanted blooming (for example like in Oblivion or Skyrim, with the radioactive cabbages/waterfalls etc)
Blox

Post by Blox »

From what I can gather, all "bloom" does is expand bright colors. I'm perfectly fine with that - as long as it's actually subtle like I make it be. (If you guys want more bloom in my config, just lower BloomDarken.)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

LOS:
Definitely looks better on maps that are more dynlight-intensive, although the torches cause a pretty big framerate drop on my rig (Win7, Intel i7 quad core 3.1 2xNVidia GTX 460 SLI, 12GB RAM).

Here's my bloom settings:

Code: Select all

Anisotropy=0
Multisample=0
Bloom=1
BloomSteps=16
BloomDarken=3
BloomScale=1
SSAO=1
SSAOScale=1.0
SSAOMinZ=0
SSAOMaxZ=0.33
RenderFrame=2
Hue=0
Saturation=2
Lightness=0
Emboss=1
DOF=1
DOFScale=20.0
Nash

Post by Nash »

Can someone test this with maps with coloured fog in GZDoom? I remember similar DLL hooks for other games never got SSAO + coloured fog correctly (the SSAO would be rendered on TOP of the coloured fog, resulting in weirdness)....
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Yeah, the SSAO is rendered on top of everything.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Gah!
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

the best try is happy time circus xD
But i have problem with SSAO on and Doom like fog (or shader for fog) the rest of configs the ssao works (or it don´t show what it should show?

Well, can someone explain what SSAO cause on doom? because here nothing changed .-. (And i would like to see a picture ingame if you can from a clare example of SSAO ^^)
Blox

Post by Blox »

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm, I created what I thought was a nice subtle amount of bloom. Then I went to an area in a map where a dynamic light was shining on a white wall. In most places it looks fine - almost too subtle - but in places like this...

Normal:

With the effect:

:?
Blox

Post by Blox »

Judging by how the somewhat bright light pole gets totally supersaturated, try turning the BloomScale down to something like 0.707?
Though that really is just a straight-up problematic situation.

Really, the key about bloom in my eyes is that it should definitely be there - but it should by almost no means overtake the entire scene.
Though it doesn't really seem like my opinion is really relevant anywhere I post it. (Oh don't worry, this is very frequent stuff.)
Sarah
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 11 (bullseye), Windows 10

Post by Sarah »

This is pretty neat!

However, how about please explaining what each setting does for someone like me who doesn't have a clue what they're doing when they're tweaking their settings around? I did however arrive at this after some experimenting(note that SSAO is turned off):

(Image is kinda big)
Spoiler:
Sprite-based flames, numerous dynamic lights for both source illumination and surface illumination, 3D floors, couple of models, and something shooting over there on the right. This does seem to cause kind of a "soap-film" like effect on translucent surfaces, notably what-would-be-glass(3D floors), and causes a dramatic increase in the effect on dynamic light lit surfaces when seen through said "glass."

These are my settings:

Code: Select all

[Generic]
Anisotropy=16
Multisample=8
MultisampleHint=0
Bloom=1
BloomSteps=8
BloomDarken=3
BloomScale=2
SSAO=0
SSAOScale=4.0
SSAOMinZ=0.005
SSAOMaxZ=1.0
Hue=-3
Saturation=20
Lightness=0
Emboss=1
EmbossScale=0.333
DOF=1
DOFMinZ=0.005
DOFSpeed=0.75
DOFScale=1.0

[gzdoom.exe]
Anisotropy=1
Multisample=1
And yes, GZDoom will run just fine for me with Anisotropy and Multisample turned on. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate, i3 @ 3.1GHz, 4GB RAM, and 1 nVidia GTX 460 TI with 1GB. Probably the puniest gaming box I've ever built, but I built it for upgrading. I turned the settings on just to see if it was true GZDoom would crash and it didn't. Also, GZDoom is launched via a batch file due to the stand-alone nature of this particular mod.
Last edited by Sarah on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Enjay wrote:Hmmm, I created what I thought was a nice subtle amount of bloom. Then I went to an area in a map where a dynamic light was shining on a white wall. In most places it looks fine - almost too subtle - but in places like this...

Normal:

With the effect:

:?
Just like in Oblivion. Aack!

Return to “General”