GZDooM on Oculus Rift: Download on page 6!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Oculus Rift support in GZDooM

Post by Kinsie »

Lava Grunt wrote:In all seriousness, I see the oculus going hand-in-hand with omni treadmills.
There have been experiments with this using TF2 VR, and they're pretty impressive for a game that was never designed around them. I suspect, however, that we won't see a truly effective implementation until a more realistic game like Arma adds support, and that such a setup is generally too cost and space prohibitive for most people. Heck, most people don't have enough space in their house for a Kinect.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

I think that the 4 best games on the rift right now are Half life 2, Doom 3, Quake, and Minecraft. They are all very effective. Granted none of them are the "complete" Vr experience, but in order to get that complete experience, sure you might have to shell out some extra cash, but for something like the Virtuix Omni, you dont really need space, it takes up as much room as a recliner. Not that bad considering it lets you run or walk in all directions seemingly forever.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Kinsie wrote:
Lava Grunt wrote:In all seriousness, I see the oculus going hand-in-hand with omni treadmills.
There have been experiments with this using TF2 VR, and they're pretty impressive for a game that was never designed around them. I suspect, however, that we won't see a truly effective implementation until a more realistic game like Arma adds support, and that such a setup is generally too cost and space prohibitive for most people. Heck, most people don't have enough space in their house for a Kinect.
We learned how to overcome the space issue early on, but then again we have a basement for storing all the shit for later dates/never to see the light of day again. I can definitely see what your getting at in respect to apartment folk, though. Thank god I don't live in one anymore, this one family refused to cook anything but fish and it was the foulest stank you could ever imagine, 24/7
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Well i finally order an Oculus Rift. One of my wet dream was to play DooM using VR. I hope this can become true someday :) Wads with exploration more than fighting surely will be great, also scary wads... :)
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Haha yea i'd say that's fairly relevant. On a side note, i've started up my own Doom semi source port using GameMaker Studio. I figure that's a language that I know inside and out, so it'll be a fun little project. It will also allow me to test the Oculus Rift in a 2.5d environment.
mallo

Post by mallo »

You can't run doom maps and files with GameMaker Studio. It's just impractical and, by the way, GM:S takes eats resources as quick and jealously as cookie monster eats cookies.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Lol @Mallo, I've already loaded data from a wad file into Studio. If youre smart enough, you can do anything. There's nothing impractical about GM:S. You just have to be smart enough to overcome whatever hiccups you encounter. So far, i've not encountered any of them. I can load E1M3 into Studio in .2 seconds. I plan to include all the fancy gl bsp rendering codes to increase performance as well. If gm6 could load levels and display them at 60fps then what's stopping Studio from doing even better?
mallo

Post by mallo »

:o

Anyways, most of games made in GM lag for me horribly. (Hotline Miami, for example. Or Super Mario Fusion Revival) That's kinda weird, cause I've made games in GM myself and they weren't laggy. At all.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Check this out Mallo: http://i4000.wordpress.com/ the first post in my blog shows my current progress. Great thing about Studio is how much faster the games are than previous versions of GM, and with 1.2 coming out soon, shaders, and a native compiler means that the games will look that much better and run as fast as if they were written in c++. I'll make a new thread on the topic shortly to document my progress.
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

Indecom wrote:Haha yea i'd say that's fairly relevant. On a side note, i've started up my own Doom semi source port using GameMaker Studio. I figure that's a language that I know inside and out, so it'll be a fun little project. It will also allow me to test the Oculus Rift in a 2.5d environment.
Do you plan on applying what you learn doing that into some zDoom compatible code or are you sticking with your own port? I'd be excited for either really.
biospud

Post by biospud »

I just created a version of gzdoom that supports Oculus Rift. Check it out:

http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/

Christopher
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Oooh badass! Downloadening!
Nash

Post by Nash »

That... looks awesome. :O
janiform

Re: GZDooM on Oculus Rift: Download on page 6!

Post by janiform »

That's great! I look forward to visiting Phocas Island 2 in the Rift.

Return to “General”