Favourite Doom Launcher

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
ReX

Re: Favourite Doom Launcher

Post by ReX »

For many years now, I have used batch files to run DooM add-ons. Previously, I used a launcher, but I don't remember what it was (perhaps ZDL?)

Given the positive comments on QZDL in this thread, I may be persuaded to try it out.
Average wrote:One thing I'd really like to see in a launcher is an ability to scan a 'wad' directory like a library and be able to just click them. A 'recents' list would be nice to when I have a few wads on the go at the same time.
The features that Average requested, are those I would expect in a user-friendly program. I concur with the opinion that including these features will make QZDL more useful.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

ReX wrote:For many years now, I have used batch files to run DooM add-ons. Previously, I used a launcher, but I don't remember what it was (perhaps ZDL?)

Given the positive comments on QZDL in this thread, I may be persuaded to try it out.
Average wrote:One thing I'd really like to see in a launcher is an ability to scan a 'wad' directory like a library and be able to just click them. A 'recents' list would be nice to when I have a few wads on the go at the same time.
The features that Average requested, are those I would expect in a user-friendly program. I concur with the opinion that including these features will make QZDL more useful.
This is quickly becoming a popular feature request!

I have some more work to do to get 3.2 stabilized (I was hoping this last version was going to be it), and then I'm off to work on 3.3 (where the plugin architecture and library system comes in)
riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

Yeah I like QZDL, because it's supported on *nix :D

And QZDL name is a better than ZDL, I dont know why they changed :)
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I've been pretty stubborn using Telefrag Mapspawn but changing my config files every time I copy and paste my doom folder elsewhere is getting to be a chore and pain. Not to mention the code I wrote it with is so far out of date and inflexible to what it should be able to do that at some point I'm gonna need to make a switch or a serious rewrite of the whole frontend I was using.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

QBasicer wrote:tell me which doom launcher you use, and what you (dis)like about it

Batch files: easy to configure and to make menus, but crappy interface. :blergh:
jbb666999

Post by jbb666999 »

I've always liked the KingDoom launcher. It had a lot of handy features before any other launchers did.
oysterstew

Post by oysterstew »

Very nice update to ZDL, QBasicer.

I just came across this thread yesterday and am now using this instead of ZDL 3.1a. I started out launching Doom years ago using batch files and later on windows shortcuts. What I like about ZDL is it is a clean browse-and-add interface to essentially make batch files (.zdl saves) without all the clunk involved writing them with notepad or editing a shortcut.
The resizable windows are great - ZDL 3.1a runs in a window the size of a postage stamp on my Win7 netbook.
Can't think of much else needing to be added - for me I have different directories for addon effects such as dehacked, decorate, music as well as my pwads and iwads. I also save all my .zdl files to one directory as well. Maybe be able to specify directories to start the browser window in for different types of addons via buttons for the external files pane (dehacked, effects, pwad, music) and a directory for .zdl files. Either way this should be strictly optional as I'm quite happy with the program as is - no need to bloat it simply to have updates to announce or clutter the interface. :wink:
BloodyAcid

Post by BloodyAcid »

I never bothered with launchers as I prefer the drag-and-drop method. After reading this thread several times, I decided to give it a whirl, and I must say, ZDL (3.2.2.2) is a wonderful program!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

One of the nice things about ZDL is that it allows you to drag and drop files onto the PWAD list. OK, so there is an additional step between dropping and the game starting but it can be a useful thing if you want to adjust the order that the files are being loaded or whatever.
Redboy

Post by Redboy »

I use Unleashed 2.6.3 for very long time...

I will try what ZDL like ??????

Thanks
Redboy

Post by Redboy »

Hey QBasicer

Finally back in ZDOOM and now I running Windows 8 and want start again my Zdoom fun. My regular frontend Unleashed no longer work in Windows 8 that Unleashed too old. REST IN PEACE.

I'm so panic I need FRONTEND for Zdoom so I start focused on ZDL 3.2.2.

So far I'm very pleased that work with Windows 8 and Zdoom.

That good work with my WAD also good work in Heretic and HeXen.

THANK YOU :cheers:

Return to “General”