ZDCMP2 - ENDOOM & TITLEMUS volunteers needed!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Gez

Re: ZDoom Community Map Project 2 - Ideas & Thoughts!

Post by Gez »

UDMF IMO. Let's get people on the program!
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

please, no recolored ROTT weapons this time :) , also, I would like to see a sequel to ZCMP
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Pyroscourge wrote:In regards to the UDMF format, I would much prefer to work in original Hexen format, but that's just because I could never be bothered to make the switch at the time. Perhaps I should learn it someday. :P
There's not really much to "making the switch". It works basically the same on the user's side, though it removes a lot of limits you might be used to. :shrug:
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Bah, you cannot use UDMF with the original Doombuilder though...

I map so much quicker with original Doombuilder, Doombuilder2 is too clunky for me and has that annoying autoaligning texture thing. :cry:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Stupid idea time: since this is the ZDCMP2, how about having two maps? One could be UDMF and the other Hexen. People sign up for either map depending on their own preference, ability to run DB2 at all (Linux users...), and/or stubbornitude.
printz

Post by printz »

Isn't there HPack already (and ZPack previously), why open a more generic community project?
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

Tormentor667 wrote:
CaptainToenail wrote:Maybe you should enforce some stricter rules for the custom content, otherwise it might turn into a bit of a resource clusterfuck.
This is what I would like to avoid. I am just not sure how to set the rule, any ideas? I do not want to limit possibilities you know, this was one of the things that made ZDCMP1 so successful...
I've seen some doomworld projects where textures were managed by enforcement of prefixes. You could as many textures as you wanted to but you needed to give them a prefix unique to you. That way, no conflicts. :)

I don't know how it could work with other resources (sprites, etc) though.

I'd myself sign up.. though I still can't do UDMF effectively (linux user, nor does DB2 work on my windows partition), and I think I'm too slow a mapper to get anything done in just two days. :P
zap610

Post by zap610 »

Wait wait wait, what about http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... lit=zdcmp2 ? Did I miss something or is all that going to just get scrapped?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@zap - It died, long ago.

@Gez - Two maps is too much to handle honestly, I am happy if enough skilled people are signing up for only one map.
Tormentor667

Re: ZDoom Community Map Project 2 - It's official now!

Post by Tormentor667 »

I took some time today to set up all we need just here:
http://realm667.com/board/viewforum.php?f=41

...I think there is enough interest and it is really worth trying!
zap610

Post by zap610 »

Tormentor667 wrote:@zap - It died, long ago.
I'm not arguing that, but it had a lot of mapping done and it might be salvageable. Not to mention it had an awesome concept.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I know, I still have most of the files on my local pc, but from a mappers point of view, it's hard to finish as it has too many open ends. Despite, this is not a "revival" thread, it's simply a new start from the ground with guidelines, rules and a better concept.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Join us now!
Most of the "Phase 1" slots for the general development and mapping are already taken, only a few ones are left. Though, if you are a talented mapper and would like to detail areas or make sure the design is consistent, there are still free slots in "Phase 2". And, if you would like to beta test, bugfix and adjust the gameplay overall, there are also free slots in "Phase 3". You see, there is enough work to do, even if you are not a mapper or if your time is even more limited.

Link to the sign up thread: http://realm667.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2311
Enjay

Re: ZDCMP2 - Mapping,Detail & Gameplay slots still open for

Post by Enjay »

Is it just me who sees some irony in a ZDoom Community Project having its main thread somewhere other than on zdoom.org? :P

I'd love to be part of the new map but the timing for me is awful. There are huge moves and changes afoot in Scottish education and that means almost zero spare time for me (plus my ongoing health problems that restrict my hours at the keyboard). However, I do want to be involved somehow. I'm not sure how much mapping I could do - I wouldn't mind doing some but I certainly would not manage as much as I did on the last one - but perhaps there are other roles I could help with that require slightly less intensive input?
Tormentor667

Re: ZDCMP2 - Mapping,Detail & Gameplay slots still open for

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:Is it just me who sees some irony in a ZDoom Community Project having its main thread somewhere other than on zdoom.org? :P
I already read something similar at the Skulltag forums yesterday :) The reason for this is simply "organization". It's easier to maintain and organize a project if you have a seperate development forum and more than one threads you can put information into. This is still (!) the ZDCMP, not the R667CMP :)
Enjay wrote:I'd love to be part of the new map but the timing for me is awful. There are huge moves and changes afoot in Scottish education and that means almost zero spare time for me (plus my ongoing health problems that restrict my hours at the keyboard). However, I do want to be involved somehow. I'm not sure how much mapping I could do - I wouldn't mind doing some but I certainly would not manage as much as I did on the last one - but perhaps there are other roles I could help with that require slightly less intensive input?
We'd be glad to have you on board. If you do not have enough time to do a lot of mapping during Phase 1, you can still join Phase 2 (for detailing and consistency control) or Phase 3 (for bugfixing, polishing, gameplay). These two second phases do not need a lot of time to do something useful :)

Return to “General”