Community Project Idea

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
CaptainToenail

Community Project Idea

Post by CaptainToenail »

Ok, I have an idea for a community project but before anything happens I need to know if it's worth starting and if anyone has suggestions.

The idea is for a group of mappers to create a large city map. The result would be like Doom2's Downtown but on a much larger scale. To start with I would provide the 'canvas'. This would be a large open outdoor space 512 units tall with a wooden fence around the outside. To keep things simple and manageable map format would be Boom. First stage would be to create the map itself, building by building. Second stage would be to add monsters, items, decorations etc. and third stage to add custom sky, music and correct bugs and mistakes before publishing.

How it works is that the project would be announced a week in advance, giving time for mappers to sign up and be placed in the line. Once that deadline is reached, I send the blank map to the first mapper in line. They have two days maximum to add a building, before sending it on to the next mapper in line. This continues until the map is sufficiently built. Then the map is populated with monsters and items. This works the same way, but the mapper must choose someone else's building to fill with things.

Mappers must build inside the main area, but can place teleport trap dummy sectors outside if they wish. The exit will be blocked by a door that requires all six keys to open. These will be hidden throughout the map in challenging locations.

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome!
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Community Project Idea

Post by Tapwave »

Yes. Yes yes yes.
Count me in.

Return to “General”