Mods with enhanced AI?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Sodaholic

Mods with enhanced AI?

Post by Sodaholic »

Are there any mods with better AI in it? I'm not talking about minor modifications like making them more aggressive when at low health or anything like that, I mean stuff that makes them act smarter than just wandering and shooting occasionally. I guess something along the lines of Half-Life or Blood AI.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Mods with enhanced AI?

Post by NeuralStunner »

I wanted to do such things, but certain inexplicable feature refusals really crimped that idea.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Huh, that sucks. Does anyone know exactly how the HL or Blood AI actually work ''under the hood", so that it could be imitated via ACS?
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

The best way to do it would not be to emulate it, but to try something new from scratch. I'd think the HL AI was actually quite aware of its surroundings, while the Blood AI was simply clever -- but dumb at the same time.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Project Dark Fox wrote:Blood AI was simply clever -- but dumb at the same time.
Yeah, it couldn't exactly account for TNT throws, and cultists will frequently blow themselve s(or allies) up. :lol:

Seems like AI hasn't changed much.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I know that Blood's AI was at it's core, stupid. But what were their mechanics that allowed them to act clever?
Project Shadowcat

Post by Project Shadowcat »

The monks for one could actually duck shots, mostly when they got struck. And real ducking, shots would pass right over unless you flicked some TNT their way or they stood back up.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

The Cyberdemon Lord from GS ([/shamelessplug]) is more aggressive when it's near death. However, Ghastly's ZSpecOps is a fairly intelligent barstid of a zombie.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

What exactly does the ZSpecOps do to make it more clever? In game, I can barely tell a difference at all. I couldn't figure out what it was doing different than a normal monster, and as far as I can tell, all it does is become more aggressive as it loses health.

I'm looking for some sort of way to make the enemies in a certain project behave a bit more cleverly. As of right now, they behave like any normal monster, and it doesn't seem fitting for someone who is supposed to have military training. They're kinda portrayed as clumsy fools, but I still think that they need to behave less idiotically.

Anyway, what would be the best way of creating a system where they act a little more clever and have more varied behavior? Just making them more aggressive at lower health really isn't going to cut it.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Sodaholic wrote:What exactly does the ZSpecOps do to make it more clever?
Retreats when injured, aims for more precise fire at longer distances, and attempts to wait and snipe you occasionally.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Sodaholic wrote:What exactly does the ZSpecOps do to make it more clever?
Well, I've made enchanced nazis in Overkill, as a bonus. They wander, turn around simultaneously when standing, jump sideways when hit, runaway on low hp, revive themselves, etc.

EDIT: Ah, and they also give up looking for you after some time.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Few scrapped ideas off the top of my head, from projects, mostly Shades of War:
Player's projectile weapons give the player temporary flags when fired. Enemies check for these flags and dodge to the sides to avoid the shot. Released a demo of this once. Wanted to nuke the enemy.
Enemies check the players currently equipped weapon. Short range weapons, the enemy won't close. Explosive weapons, enemies rush in close. Long range weapons, randomly dodge.
Use different attacks depending on players health/armor. Player has full health? Use some kind of high damage weapon (ie:RPG). Low health, use something that's more likely to hit the player even if it does little damage (ie:SMG).
Suicide helpline. Make the monster shoot out a short lived test projectile (dies after x tics). If the projectile hits something, give the firing actor a dummy item flag. The enemy will check for this item before firing it's explosive and killing itself.

Return to “General”