A new sprite rotation utility

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Blox

A new sprite rotation utility

Post by Blox »

• Hey you!

Yes, you.

I randomly stumbled upon a new sprite rotation utility, while reading about pixel art scaling. The new utility was made for sprites like us.
    And I must say, it does a pretty good job..

..I'm starting to get a headache, but nevermind that.
    It is called "RotSprite", and I shall show you the road to it. Just click on me. (The cacomoon, that is.)

Using it is simple, first you specify the input. Then you specify the output names, and then you have options.
    The rotation angle is the initial rotation, and the end rotation too - if you choose to output it as a single frame.
    But if you wish to output an animation of rotations, it is the initial rotation. The "Final" angle is what it is at the end of the animation, as an example, I'll tell you how to make a circle.

Start off by setting the "Rotation Angle" to 360, and then set the "Final Angle" to 0. Specify the number of frames of animation you wish to have, and there you have it. (The spinny caco uses 16-1, as 360 == 0)
    The program divides the angle difference between initial and final by the amount of frames, thus every frame is rotated by that. (Plus the previous rotation.)
    ..As far as I can understand.

Anyway, it shouldn't be hard to figure out. Just experiment a bit, and you'll figure it out. (Because the nonsense I said just before is bizarre.)

Bon voyage!

HISSSSSS
Don't ask why I decided to use a "Direct approach" speech for this, as I did it just for laughs. :P
Edit: Apparently, this stuff is old. (2007) But to my innocence, RotSprite was added to the Wikipedia article not too long ago.

(Send me a PM if the images are down, because it's annoying if they turn into the infamous HUMONGOUS BLUE BOXES.)
Last edited by Blox on Tue May 03, 2011 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Scuba Steve

Re: A new sprite rotation utility

Post by Scuba Steve »

Awesome.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Blox wrote:Hey you!

Yes, you.

Stand still, Laddie!

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!
Blox

Post by Blox »

Nate wrote:
Blox wrote:Hey you!

Yes, you.

Stand still, Laddie!
So I can chomp you to pieces!

In all seriousness, here's a little example of what you can do with this.. (Attachy)
Attachments
Shottyman.pk3
There it is, fixed.

Only a single sprite was edited by hand 'for real', and that is only to expand the arm a bit.

Everything else is the program's work, and of course manual cleaning. (Doesn't support alpha.)
(55.56 KiB) Downloaded 227 times

Return to “General”