What's your favorite Doom enhancement wad?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

What's your favorite Doom enhancement wad?

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

One thing I love about zdoom is how easily you can change almost anything around in it. I also love, due to those capabilities, how people have taken the time to make their own personal enhancements to the game. Stuff like Beautiful Doom, Doom Enhanced, and countless others go the distance to make the Doom experience even better.

So that leave's the question: What's your favorite Doom enhancement wad? Or how about something more specific like, what's your favorite aspects/features about an enhancement wad?

To start off, here's my recently finished Doom enhancement wad simply title Doom Expanded (expanded.wad, yes shameless plug. :P). This contains elements of the aforementioned enhancement wads (Beau. Doom, Enhanced) as well as the smooth weapons mod and the high-res sound mod. The only thing I officially claim as my own is the Smooth animation for the BFG 9000 which you can learn all about the making off right here: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28543

Here's my Expanded wad off Media Fire: http://www.mediafire.com/?h4mdwdt9q5czcqo
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: What's your favorite Doom enhancement wad?

Post by wildweasel »

Mutiny Mod is one of my favorites - but if I'm looking for something that doesn't change a lot for gameplay, I use my/DoomRater's ReDoom, which just replaces Doom's weapons with (slightly older versions of) Eriance's with smoother anims.
Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy »

Lately I play more Brutal DooM than anything.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Mutiny is pretty fun and pretty much any of Woolie Wool's gameplay mods. Brutal Doom is really awesome too, I've found myself playing with it a lot now.

Also, Beautiful Doom was pretty fun, but Brutal Doom has kinda out-done it now. Heh.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Brutal Doom is pretty cool.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

As a poll this is totally going to be skewed if asked anytime the Brutal Doom thread is active. :P
(yes that is my pick at the moment)

re Expanded: Is it just me or are the sounds really far away and tinny and "ringy", like the doomguy just walked out of a metal concert?

And since we're plugging our own creations... here's a thing of mine that addresses some pet peeves I've always had about the standard Doom behaviour. Should be no aesthetic changes that aren't also functional changes.

[2020-10-24: cleaning out old attachments. This ended up becoming mdt. Play that.]
Last edited by Matt on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueFireZ88
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

I just picked out the sounds I liked from other packs, mainly the ones that had the best quality. And remember, a good chunk of those sounds come from here: http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml

And is Doomguy walking out of a metal concert such a bad thing? :)
poop87

Post by poop87 »

My favorite is ReDoom.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

I make my own enhancement mods, and I still like my good old ZDRP best, simply because of all the senseless, bigger explosions I added everywhere. Not to mention it has nostalgic value because this is where all the particle effects I made come from, sort of. :P
Spoiler:
Though I must also add that Z86's fire particle enhancer mod thingy is also really cool, so my vote goes to that, kinda. :P
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

I might be biased, but Xaser's Psychic is made purely of solid gold win.
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

I'm a huge fan of a lot of "gameplay" mods.

Mutiny was really good with it's very classic feel to it. It was something a little different, I thought. Real Guns Hardcore is an amazing Gameplay mod that basically 100% replecates Call of Duty. They did a beautiful job with that wad. Xaser's Zen Dynamics and Psychic are some of my all time favorites, for being "out there" and experimental. Zero Tolerance was a great example of powerful weapons, you felt like a king when you got duel Prophets. Diaz, it's earlier version, was a great, realistic weapons mod the actually used a clip based system, and not a bullet based.

In the end, Diaz was my most played one (I've played it with 1024, ZPack, Icarus, Claustrophobia, TVR!, Hell Revealed 2, etc.), but I mean the earlier version. No offense, Wild Weasel.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Oh, we're not talking about "enhancement" wads as in wads that only add a bunch of extra effects and don't mess with gameplay that much? If we're talking about gameplay mods in general (i.e. sky's the limit if it doesn't include its own maps), I've been playing a lot with my own Diaz mod, Style Mod, and the occasional random brainfart of a mod (like the one I briefly tried to beat Sunder with and failed). If I need a break from those, though, Parkour, Omega, Mutiny, RGH (it still needs severe work on the weapon graphics and cheap-ass enemies though) and occasionally I'll go back to Zero Tolerance or ICD-SE.

Then, once in a blue moon, I'll dig out the somewhat dated version of SMWGuns I've got. =P
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

The only enhancement wads I play with are SWMGuns: Iwad version, perkristian's Smooth Weapons mod with his hi-quality sound pack and my own Lizard Squad mod.
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

Right now, Brutal Doom, Psychic, and a "personal" wad with Eriance's gun sprites.
H3llraich

Post by H3llraich »

Sonnyboy wrote:Lately I play more Brutal DooM than anything.
Totally that one. :wink:

Return to “General”