BASSMIDI Soundfont Compatible MIDI Synth Driver: WXP/Vista/7

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: BASSMIDI Soundfont Compatible MIDI Synth Driver: WXP/Vis

Post by Matt »

Vista Home Premium. Nothing works.

....in the context of this discussion I mean.

EDIT: I have no idea what "work" would even mean for me. The only programs I use that use MIDI right now other than Timidity and ZDoom (which then uses Timidity) are Winamp and Aria Maestosa, and I can't choose BASSMIDI on either. Not even Vista Midi Picker lets me choose it. Do I have to restart the computer or something?
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I got it to work, but some media players don't seem affected. MPC, for example.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If they have their own MIDI engine rather than using the system default, then yeah, they won't be affected. Examples include foobar2000, XMPlay, anything based on Fluidsynth or TiMidity(++), anything based on FMOD Ex, etc.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

That's why you manually select, from the list of available MIDI devices, either the BASSMIDI driver or the one with the weird Japanese name (the latter seems to be especially prevalent in Winamp, where selecting it as the MIDI device to use for playback worked perfectly fine) in your player of choice. It doesn't even show up in the Vista MIDI fix programs! :biggrin: lol windows 7
RFNagel

Post by RFNagel »

Just a heads-up: Mudlord has uploaded a new version of the BASSMIDI Driver (currently version 2.0).

New web site for the BASSMIDI Driver is here -> https://github.com/mudlord/bassmididrv

Download is here -> https://github.com/downloads/mudlord/ba ... drv2.0.exe

Version History/ChangeLog is here -> https://github.com/mudlord/bassmididrv/ ... HANGES.txt
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

oh cool. I'm trying to update it but it asks me AGAIN to close avast! (something which I can't actually do since even an elevated task manager tells me I can't close the "AvastUI.exe" process)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

so sorry for necroing this thread, but everytime i select the BASSMIDI Synthesizer in GZDoom, the game freezes. i've followed the installation instructions point-blank, is there some system requirements to use this synthesizer, or what?
RFNagel

Post by RFNagel »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:so sorry for necroing this thread, but everytime i select the BASSMIDI Synthesizer in GZDoom, the game freezes. i've followed the installation instructions point-blank, is there some system requirements to use this synthesizer, or what?
By chance did you install the most recent version 3.2 of the BASSMIDI Driver? If so, you might try uninstalling it and installing the older version 3.1 of the driver ( http://www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/arc ... _Setup.exe or http://jasonwilliams400com.startlogic.c ... _Setup.exe ).

I discovered a pretty bad problem with the latest version 3.2 of the driver; and if v3.1 solves your problem, please notify the author of the driver (Mudlord) in this message thread -> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=87639 , thanks! :)
Viscra Maelstrom

i downloaded the one that came from this link: http://www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/bassmididrv.exe
and installing the previous version didn't seem to work. it doesn't seem like the synthesizer gets completely removed after uninstalling it, either. there's a few .dll files and .exe files that won't get removed. and uninstalling it from the add/delete programs list gives me a message saying that the program has already been removed, even if i've just installed the synthesizer.
RFNagel

Post by RFNagel »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i downloaded the one that came from this link: http://www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/bassmididrv.exe and installing the previous version didn't seem to work.
That link would be for the newest version 3.2 of the driver... which is the one that I ran into strange lockups with.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:it doesn't seem like the synthesizer gets completely removed after uninstalling it, either. there's a few .dll files and .exe files that won't get removed. and uninstalling it from the add/delete programs list gives me a message saying that the program has already been removed, even if i've just installed the synthesizer.
That's rather strange. The way that the new versions' installers work (from version 2.x and newer) is they will detect that an older version is already installed, and then prompt you to uninstall the older version (from the same interface as the updated versions' installer).
Viscra Maelstrom

i'll have a closer look into this issue tomorrow, and see if i can find a solution to it.
Viscra Maelstrom

okay. after this huge delay, i finally decided to look into this again. here's what i found out:

-using the installer for the older version and prompting to uninstall the old version, doesn't work. it doesn't seem to be able to remove the version at all.
-furthermore, when uninstalling the driver from the add/delete programs function, it says that the program has already been uninstalled, and will only remove it from the list. yet, all the files are still there in the folder.
-uninstalling with BASSMIDI's uninstaller doesn't work, as it cannot locate the uninstaller's executable. it doesn't appear to exist in BASSMIDI's folder.
-i cannot install the 3.1 version of BASSMIDI because of the prompted uninstall doesn't work. however, it magically DOES work when i've just removed the software from the add/delete list. however, it has trouble with and cannot overwrite the bassmidi .dll file that lies in the folder. even trying to delete the file myself from the folder doesn't work, as it denies me access to do that.

that's all i've found out about why i can't get BASSMIDI to work.
RFNagel

Post by RFNagel »

That's really a strange problem.

You might try posting a message in this message thread over in the Hydrogen Audio forums... MudLord and Kode54 (the authors) visits there quite frequently -> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=87639 .

P.S. They're currently up to version 3.17 now.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Booting up in safe mode might work, since I doubt it would get loaded there. (And thus you should be able to delete it.)
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

I love the clear sound I get from this. There's one problem really: My current setup uses the TiMidity++ player to render songs to audio in sub-realtime without direct recording. Combined with the TM driver I can compose songs with as close as possible to "what you hear" results.

Then I remember there's XMPlay... And oh this is beautiful. I have a new MIDI -> Weeds GM3 -> Audio pipeline. =:)

Return to “General”