Voxels?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Voxels?

Post by Project Shadowcat »

DavidPH wrote:Is it too early to be posting crash reports with voxels (because they totally crash ZDoom for me)?
I'm sure it'd be a good idea to.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think Randy knows well enough that the code isn't done yet so your crash logs wouldn't help much. Better wait until it gets more stable.
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

I figured as much. I'm sure Randy will make it clear when the time is right for earnest testing. I'm just excited about voxels. (As anyone on IRC can probably attest to. :P )
DooMAD

Post by DooMAD »

Project Dark Fox wrote:Suddenly I thought, what if the weapons spun like in most 3D shooters? Especially Blood, for one. And of course make that an option.
Randy already thought of that and the option to make them spin is already in place. Apparently I just wasn't naming the lumps correctly, heh. Open the wad in XWE or equivalent and rename the lumps, for example, SHOTA40 instead of SHOT.

//EDIT: zdoom_vox.zip updated with less crashyness and more spinnyness.
Duducrazy

Post by Duducrazy »

Gez wrote:It is one of my many projects to one day eventually write a "maphack" system for ZDoom, which would allow to add or redefine map elements. (Probably using a variant of UDMF.)
i wish there was a maphack system, too. so i could add dynamic lights to sectors.
Project Shadowcat

DooMAD wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:Suddenly I thought, what if the weapons spun like in most 3D shooters? Especially Blood, for one. And of course make that an option.
Randy already thought of that and the option to make them spin is already in place. Apparently I just wasn't naming the lumps correctly, heh. Open the wad in XWE or equivalent and rename the lumps, for example, SHOTA40 instead of SHOT.

//EDIT: zdoom_vox.zip updated with less crashyness and more spinnyness.
That is so, so awesome.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

This is so made of win it's not even funny. Absolutely amazing. I still felt like I was playing pure Doom, just with extra AWESOMESAUCE on top.

8-)
Project Shadowcat

Caligari_87 wrote:This is so made of win it's not even funny. Absolutely amazing. I still felt like I was playing pure Doom, just with extra AWESOMESAUCE on top.

8-)
I know, right? Props to DooMAD for the voxels in the first place! They fit in beautifully! :thumb:
Spleen

Post by Spleen »

Nash wrote:I know of that editor that's linked in that DW thread but it costs $189 - too expensive. I might as well model something in Milkshape 3D which only costs about $25 and use a converter to convert the model into a voxel model.
Paint3D seems nicer than Voxel3D, and costs only $20. You can actually paste a png of a Doom graphic into it, and it determines the palette for you.

NeuralStunner wrote:
Considering the implementation, I think that'll be largely up to modders. Though I wouldn't mind an "enable voxel rotation" toggle in Options.
esselfortium wrote:One issue I can imagine with maps that weren't created with voxels in mind is that you're going to have a ton of pickups that face walls or other illogical directions. I remember hearing complaints about areas in KDiZD where armor bonuses weren't facing you and they just looked like rocks or something. There's going to be a lot of that unless you just make absolutely everything spin around constantly for no reason.
I'm in favor of 4 options for spinning defined in VOXELDEF: on, off, optional, and always (horizontally) face player. The latter would be useful because it would prevent objects from looking silly when looking down at extreme angles.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

What would "optional" do?
Project Shadowcat

esselfortium wrote:What would "optional" do?
Likely what the modder wants.
Spleen

Post by Spleen »

esselfortium wrote:What would "optional" do?
Oops, I should have more clear. Optional would let the user decide whether a voxel model should rotate or not. Besides always facing the player, this would be another option for voxel model replacements for sprites that would look silly rotating and silly facing random directions. The user could choose lesser of the two sillies. :P

Though honestly, I think rotating models would look better if their starting angles were randomized rather than all being synchronized.
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

Suddenly I get the feeling I wil be re-re-doing all the artwork in my mod. Good work.
Project Shadowcat

JustinC wrote:Suddenly I get the feeling I wil be re-re-doing all the artwork in my mod. Good work.
Admittedly I'd see voxels looking ugly as hell on monsters or other objects that are that animated. I'd leave them to pickups and scenery.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Animated voxels are kinda weird sometimes. Ken Silverman's VOXLAP engine had a sample of it and it just didn't seem right.

In any case I'm loving the pickup models, but the light post is kind of weird. I'm probably just not used to it though.

Return to “General”