Essential wads

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Essential wads

Post by leileilol »

Besides IWADs, what are your essential PWADs to load with?

Please note i'm not asking for lists of the 'best' wads, just wads you can't live without. Such as any WADs you would most likely put in the skins/ folder that ISN'T a Tails skin, lame cutman mspaint skin #342, a lulz novelty pack or a skin of any sort.

Vanilla, Boom and Zdoom specific, of course.

this is because my zdoom folder is rather empty only containing the usual iwads and the team tnt megawads
Enjay

Re: Essential wads

Post by Enjay »

In Zdoom, in addition to a few skins, I usually load a crosshairs WAD to give me some additional crosshairs (duh) and my own "njsplash" WAD which adds splash sounds and sprites to the liquids, footfall sounds to the other flats and enhanced switch sounds to the (you guessed it) switches. I also have a blood bath announcer WAD that autoloads but, to be fair, I usually forget all about it and should probably remove it.

In addition, in GZdoom, I also autoload lights.pk3. I haven't traditionally loaded brightmaps.pk3 but I may give that another go now that I am on a new machine with a better graphics card. And finally, I usually autoload a flashlight WAD. I have to cheat to get the flashlight but, on my old CRT, it was sometimes a useful thing to have at the ready just in case. Most of the time I don't use it and it's probably another thing that I could now do without.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

leileilol wrote:lame cutman mspaint skin #342
Low blow maaaaan.

I autoload some hi-res font thing but I forgot where I got it from. You can easily make your own now anyway.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

njsplash.wad, lights.pk3, brightmaps.pk3, a custom GLDEFS lump that provides glows to certain flats in GZDoom, and the PSX Doom music pack. :|

I often use a small WAD that gives me a flashlight and plunges the entire level into pitch darkness, with a night sky included. A whole new way of playing - it's especially good fun when playing TNT:Evilution (you can spot the hitscanners from their brightmaps if you're eagle-eyed enough). ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Just a homebrewed compilation of stuff nicked here and there, including Enjay's splash mod, the dynamic lights and brightmaps from GZDoom plus some more, the Skulltag hires item sprites, high-quality ogg versions of the games' tunes, etc. Often with some minor modifications.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

A self-made WAD with a "test" level to quickly see if things work. Basically a large map with a single checkerboard texture, with large towers (one with a pit full of multiplayer spawns), a small pit with GZDoom-powered bridges and water, a dark room, a deep pit for fall damage stuff, and a switch to spawn zombiemen all over the map.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Soon it'll be GS that'll be my essential wad.
Because, to be honest, Doom just isn't as immersive now if I don't use it. :?
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

Skippy wrote:I often use a small WAD that gives me a flashlight and plunges the entire level into pitch darkness, with a night sky included. A whole new way of playing - it's especially good fun when playing TNT:Evilution (you can spot the hitscanners from their brightmaps if you're eagle-eyed enough). ;)
What is that small wad you were talking about?I would like to try it :)

Usually the only Essential wads I use is Hi Res Textures,Nash's Gore mod,Lights,and Either Doom64 Music or PSX Doom Music.I would like to find another gore mod though,particularly the one used in Gears of Hell.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Nothing.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

@Captain Proof: here you go. Run the zip, don't unpack it. Requires GZDoom. PSX/D64 music, brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3 HIGHLY recommended.

http://www.mediafire.com/?smbbm05dy3o
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

Awesome,I'll take a look at it tonight.Thanks Skip
Project Shadowcat

Post by Project Shadowcat »

I just run a custom status bar that packs in much more information than the classic Doom status bar, while still keeping a mugshot and adding a health bar. The keys are separated so that all six keys can be seen in their own windows and not bunched up in a little sliver. To the left is a kills and secrets tally, I added room for more weapon slots (in the case that a mod uses weapon slot 8), and there's even an extra counter where secondary ammo is kept right below the primary ammo counter (Zharky uses primary and secondary ammo). The only thing that's missing is an inventory bar.
Nothing else is autoloaded.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

esselfortium wrote:Nothing.
Same. Never found anything extra that's worth always having loaded.
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Same here. Just GLDEFS autoloaded.
Da Spadger

Post by Da Spadger »

Blood color definitions for the Doom monsters that don't bleed red.

Return to “General”