ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
randi
Site Admin

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by randi »

Gez wrote:Tonight was attack of the spam.
There is a spam filter that prevents edits with specific words. If you can remember any unique ones from the spam, I could add them to that list.

As far as CAPTCHAs go, I think the best one for Mediawiki is still the reCaptcha one, and probably the only thing saving it is that it isn't included in a standard install. As seen with the forum starting last month, it has failed wildly with phpBB, probably because it became very common on such boards.
Gez

Post by Gez »

"Insurance" was the word of the day on 14 February.

Other repeat offenders are "essay" and "mac-how" (the latter one is smart and only attacks pages that talk about Macs, like [wiki]Compile ZDoom on Mac OS X[/wiki].)
Gez

Post by Gez »

The spam is getting annoying.

I'd like to remove createpage, move, upload and similar rights from the Users group; and instead give it to the Autoconfirmed users group (but ironically, might remove the autoconfirmed right from them). And set autoconfirmation to happen after, say, two weeks and ten edits.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Or at least disable registration altogether for a semester or two?
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

User rights changed and the "Check Spambots" extension added. We'll see how that goes.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not well, it looks.

I just removed another one of the same kind that flooded the Wiki during the last few days.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Didn't work apparently; I have had to ban two more such accounts and delete one more page, several hours after the user rights change. :|
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Might just have to re-download the source & take a look at the Strife Codepointers again. Should really start documenting them again.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Gez wrote:Didn't work apparently; I have had to ban two more such accounts and delete one more page, several hours after the user rights change. :|

... and again.

Would it be possible to generally block all user names that go XxxxxxXxxxxx[#], (capital letter, several small ones, another capital and again several small ones, optionally followed by a single digit)?

All the spambots' names follow this pattern so if this could be disabled I think we'd be safe from this particular plague for the time being.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Okay, added the RegexBlock extension. We'll see how that goes now.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Still doesn't work. Again there's several new accounts of the same type.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Well, I don't know about this thing. I can get it to block myself. It does not seem to do anything to block account creation, but it can stop edits, if I could figure out a proper regex for it.

(BTW, thanks for blocking my IP from account creation, Gez!)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Regex for user name or for content? Words like "insurance", "certification", links to websites such as ehow.com, etc. should all be red flags in page content.
randy wrote:(BTW, thanks for blocking my IP from account creation, Gez!)
:lol: Didn't know you were disguising yourself as a spambot, sorry. :P
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Regex for user names.

Anyway, it seems the problem was caused by the extension being set up to do case-insensitive matches, so my regex was blocking anybody with at least four letters in their username. I removed that.

And account creation can only be blocked by IPs, not by usernames. So I can't block them from creating accounts, but I can block them from doing anything with it.

It seems to be working properly now.

On the other hand, checking the list of [wiki=Special:ActiveUsers]active users[/wiki], this is going to affect some valid users, too.

I have now hard-coded exceptions for those users on that list whose names fit this pattern. (Sorry to have shut you out twice, MithranDenizen!)
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

I got tired of all the account creation spam in the recent changes feed, so I went hunting some more and found the TitleBlacklist extension. It wasn't very clear on how to block users with it, but it seems to be working now, so I can remove the regex blocks on those names, since they can't be created any more.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”