Heretic and Hexen released under GPL

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
skadoomer

Heretic and Hexen released under GPL

Post by skadoomer »

Unless somebody's playing a hoax, Heretic and Hexen have been re-released under the GPL 2.0 license. I know this doesn't help zdoom much, but its still something that has been sought after for some time.
Demolisher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Heretic and Hexen released under GPL

Post by Demolisher »

Hot Damn.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Really? :o
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

We now need ZHeretic and ZHexen... :P

[j/k]
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This looks very, very fishy. In fact I'd guess that some not very smart person just bundled the source (without even changing the header of one single source file!) with the GPL.

Unless this gets confirmed by trustworthy sources better stay away from that code!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Heh, I just asked about this over at Doomworld. No replies yet but, from what little I know, it does look suspect to me.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

James Monroe apparently registered and submitted it

he also prepared and released the Hexen II sources under GPL back in 2000 so hmm
Isle

Post by Isle »

so graf if this is real gonna GPL gzdoom?
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Seems like this is the real deal.
:D
MP2E

Post by MP2E »

GPL'ing ZDoom and/or GZDoom would be god damn amazing... but is Strife GPL? If not you're gonna run into some problems there... :P anyhow if this is true I hope one of the above gets done D:
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

MP2E wrote:GPL'ing ZDoom and/or GZDoom would be god damn amazing... but is Strife GPL? If not you're gonna run into some problems there... :P anyhow if this is true I hope one of the above gets done D:
Strife's source code was never released. Apparently it was lost forever. The only things we have are Kaiser's and Graf's reworkings and reverse-engineerings of it.

And yes, folks, this is for real. James Monroe emailed Quasar about it.

GPLing ZDoom has a bunch of other obstacles, though, such as the Build code in the software renderer (used for slopes, at least, and probably some other things as well), and the FMod sound code.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

MP2E wrote:GPL'ing ZDoom and/or GZDoom would be god damn amazing... but is Strife GPL? If not you're gonna run into some problems there... :P anyhow if this is true I hope one of the above gets done D:
GPLing ZDoom won't be easy. There's several pieces of code that prevent it:

- FMod
- The OPL emulator
- Some Build code in the software renderer.
u
Obviously for GZDoom I could take out the software renderer and the OPL emulator (even though some people might complain about that one) but removing FMod would require writing a completely separate alternative sound module using a completely free sound library.

And this doesn't even address all of Randy's code that is in files that are still under the Doom license - although I don't think this is an issue.

All of the Strife code was reverse engineered from the EXE by reproducing the disassembly as C code. I can't say how this is to be treated.

(And just in case anyone asks: If the sound module issue gets resolved I will relicense GZDoom under the GPL even though it means sacrificing some code.)
Demolisher

Post by Demolisher »

Could OpenAL replace FMod?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The sound code needs to be completely rewritten for it. Unfortunately I neither have the time nor the experience to do it so I'd need help. In any case, I'd prefer to do it as a plugin so that the FMod based version can still be offered as an alternative.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

esselfortium wrote:GPLing ZDoom has a bunch of other obstacles, though, such as the Build code in the software renderer (used for slopes, at least, and probably some other things as well), and the FMod sound code.
Before you go nuts, E-mail Silverman and find his take. Its not like he is unfamiliar to zdoom and its not like zdoom is basted entirely on build. There may be a case for some code to be grandfathered in.
In any case, I'd prefer to do it as a plugin so that the FMod based version can still be offered as an alternative.
I'd rather drop the $100 on the hobbiest license of fmod as a indy developer. Besides, i don't exactly see a rash of zdoom basted games popping up as it is (there are only a handful of doom basted indy games as it is across all source ports). Again, before we all go nuts ripping and re-coding everything, best to find out what fmod developers recommend.

Return to “General”