ZDoom on 486s

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: ZDoom on 486s

Post by leileilol »

NiGHTMARE wrote:I can only find half a dozen quotes from leilol on these forums re: Odamex, and none of them are really "pushing" the port. Even if she is a fan of that port, that doesn't automatically mean she's gotten around to trying it on the 486 rig.
I have DMed others on a 486 in Odamex
there's a nasty network cpu eating bug in there that occurs every 2 seconds a nice drop in half the framerate breaking the 35hz smoothness. Doesn't happen in single player.
The SDL mixer code is also a cpu hog since it's trying to resample everything
GuntherDW

Post by GuntherDW »

randy wrote:In that case, I might as well just get rid of the pixel doubling.
in linux this helps quite a deal when you're on higher resolutions (even on 640x480! )
</hijack thread>
GuntherDW

Post by GuntherDW »

HotWax wrote:@Soul & lei:

You're both starting to sound a little bit like purists there. ZDoom is a source port being developed for modern computers and utilizes advanced features. If those advanced features impact the experience on older hardware, that's too bad; either use a different port or get better hardware. What is the alternative? Forego adding valuable features to cater to a minority? If you want the nice features, you're going to have to accept the higher requirements. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
not entirely true,
while it might have the limits removed, and a couple of additions, it should impact a simple vanilla doom play
if source ports like jdoom and the alike would run slow i would say owkey that's obvious
but again, those so called advanced features shouldn't used in a vanilla doom wad, unless specified otherwise

after reading this thread it makes me want to punch my dad for dumping my old 486 (Cyrix DX2 40Mhz and a whooping 8MB of RAM! it even had a turbo button :o ) & AMD K6-II 233Mhz :p
These machines really gave me the time of my life with other games like raptor, tyrian, omf 2097, ...
ahh the nostalgia :D
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

GuntherDW wrote:raptor, tyrian, omf 2097, ...
God? Is that you?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

OMF 2097 can be run under DOSBox on my machine, which is an AMD Athlon 3000+, as lnog as you turn the speed down a fair bit to stop the game kicking your arse in a manner of tics.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

GuntherDW wrote:it even had a turbo button :o
:lol: I'd forgotten about those.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I remember my old 286 with a turbo button. EGA screen, 1024kb memory (that was like, WOW! back then), and 120 mb MFM hard drive. And of course, you had to specify the right hard drive type in the BIOS. They were all numbered.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Heh, my 286 kicked ass. It had a VGA screen and 3MB of memory. No one could understand why I needed that much, and to be fair, neither could I. I had Windows 3.0 on it but, at that time, I hardly had any Windows programs so, as far as I could work out, it was merely a fancy menu system to run other programs so I didn't bother with it most of the time. I don't know how big the HD was, but it was nothing like 120MB. 12 seems possible, or maybe 20 but definitely not 120. I remember setting up hard drives by numbers and also having to set jumpers on sound cards to make sure they didn't clash with any other hardware. :lol:
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Mine was pretty awesome...I bought it in Christmas 1993. It was a 486-SX 25Mhz processor, with 2048 kb RAM, and an uber-hard drive of 85 MBs of free space. But it already had a SVGA; that pc sucked arses, because i couldn't even run Commander Keen that was developed in 1991... :lol:
I still have that computer with me, and i've powered it up a bit.
Now it has 16 MBs of RAM, a good HD with 500 MBs of free space, and i've put Windows 95 on it...
It's pretty stable now as it is...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That's one thing about older computers. I was always afraid of upgrading because every computer I ever built was solid as a rock. And before Pentiums, I never ever needed a CPU fan.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I remember getting an old 486 from my aunt; it was literally my first (decent) computer. After a couple years of shopping at used computer stores and cannibalizing older machines that I came across, I had 64Mb of Ram, two hard drives ( :shock: ), one being 128 megabyes (for Windows 95, which I still have all 29 1.44Mb floppy install disks for), and the other coming in at just over a gig, which I used for my esoteric collection of ancient DOS games, most of which I still have.

I also managed to install Windows on an absolutely ancient 386 laptop that weighed ten pounds. It had (I think) 16 megs of RAM and a 150Mb hard drive, a 64-shades-of-grey LCD screen, and very limited sound capability.

The first game I ever played on a computer was Robomaze 2: The Tower. I almost beat it :)

Ah, the good old days...

8-)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

My keyboard, which is designed for windows 95, has a turbo button. Doesn't do anything though :(
GuntherDW

Post by GuntherDW »

SoulPriestess wrote:That's one thing about older computers. I was always afraid of upgrading because every computer I ever built was solid as a rock. And before Pentiums, I never ever needed a CPU fan.
those days it weren't the fans which made the humming noise in your case but the HDD's :lol:

but still, i do want to see what leileilol can get out of her pc
i wonder how good it'll run Thunderpeak Powerplant :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Caligari_87 wrote:two hard drives ( :shock: )
When I replaced my 286, I did so with a 386 that I built myself. So, I took the HD from the 286 and put it into the 386 as a secondary drive. Ever since then, I've had a bit of a two HD fetish and I always have a second HD in my machines.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Enjay wrote:Ever since then, I've had a bit of a two HD fetish and I always have a second HD in my machines.
I know what you mean, I currently have seven hard disks, ranging from 120 GB to 1 TB in this computer. :P

Return to “General”