It was inevitable - SBARINFO Alpha Hud

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

It was inevitable - SBARINFO Alpha Hud

Post by wildweasel »

I consider this HUD to be mostly, but not entirely, complete. It's an interpretation (read: NOT a recreation!) of the Doom Alpha 0.2 "helmet" HUD, in SBARINFO. Through some miracle of compression algorithms, I've managed to make it take up no more than 12 KB.

Features:
- Health and armor bargraphs
- Ammo/arms indicators on the right
- Large ammo number in the upper right corner (for mods that use non-standard ammo types and altfire ammo)
- Key display on the left (using KeyBar, so non-Doom keys like KDIZD's should work too)
- Kills, Items, Secrets shown in the upper left

Yes, the field of view is restricted thanks to the helmet taking up 25% of the screen. I did my best to trim the fat (the screens in the upper corners have been cut away a bit), but it's still a little difficult to see at times. I like it, but people that complain about the restricted field of view may want to set their FOV to 100 through the console.

Also, bonus health/armor does not show properly, because I don't know if SBARINFO can do that with bargraphs/lifegems.

Permissions

Yes, you're allowed to use this in whatever the hell kind of mod you want it for, modify it, hack it to pieces. You don't even need to credit me, unless you really want to.
Attachments
ww-alphahud.rar
(8.89 KiB) Downloaded 1249 times
Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sodaholic

Re: It was inevitable - SBARINFO Alpha Hud

Post by Sodaholic »

Pretty cool! :D
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Very nice! On a somehow, I always wanted the HUD more helmet'ish because I just thought it fould give a bit more of this first person feeling, being a marine. This is just neat! :)
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

The height is 1 pixel to tall. At least here I see a slight HOM. You are right about drawbar/drawgem not able to show when you have over 100% health/armor. I think I might change this when I get to the Strife stuff (even though strife uses an auto generated bar).
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Blzut3 wrote:The height is 1 pixel to tall. At least here I see a slight HOM. You are right about drawbar/drawgem not able to show when you have over 100% health/armor. I think I might change this when I get to the Strife stuff (even though strife uses an auto generated bar).
1 pixel too tall? What resolution are you running at? I measured the pixels using Paint Shop Pro and don't see any problems with it at 1280x1024 (which actually shows a tiny layer of HOM on the original Doom status bar when scaled).
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

1152x648 LB windowed. I lowered the height 1 pixel myself and it is fine. You might like to know that I'm adding the ability to interpolate the armor value and the ability to use a gem for armor (mainly because just about every status bar I've played with turned on health interpolation).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Very cool indeed. It does feel quite claustrophobic, like you are inside the helmet. I can also see why, ultimately, id dropped the idea. It does take up quite a bit of space. Mind you, the fov 100 idea does make it more acceptable. I reckon you could have trimmed a bit more off the upper screens and keys panel in particular, but perhaps it would have detracted from what you were trying to do.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

This is pretty neat. I like it.
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

It's nice, but with vid_tft 1 it leaves a 50 pixel or so gap at the top. This seems like something for Blzut to investigate though.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Blzut3 wrote:1152x648 LB windowed. I lowered the height 1 pixel myself and it is fine. You might like to know that I'm adding the ability to interpolate the armor value and the ability to use a gem for armor (mainly because just about every status bar I've played with turned on health interpolation).
Any chance you could add interpolation for things that aren't bars as well, so that regular numbers will also go down smoothly (a la PowerSlave/Exhumed's ammo counter)?
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

No, it would require a lot of work (at least for me anyways) to design a system that registers every variable the user wants to interpolate.
Edit:
MG_Man wrote:It's nice, but with vid_tft 1 it leaves a 50 pixel or so gap at the top. This seems like something for Blzut to investigate though.
This means that the scaling method used doesn't work well with 5:4 resolutions. This would be part of graphics rendering and not SBarInfo.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I actually don't like the way 5:4 mode looks, even on my 5:4 monitor, so I just leave it in 4:3 normal mode.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

This is cool! :D
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Hey look! Caleb's now a space marine!

doknow

Post by doknow »

Thanks for the hud.

DOOM alpha 0.2 map.
Attachments
ALPHA02.rar
(20.96 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Last edited by doknow on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “General”