Best of the Best

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

DoomRater wrote:Did Ghoul's Forest 3 get a nomination? That had better get a cacoaward this year.
Doubt it since peopled seemed to enjoy 2 more than 3. Also scuba is like DURRR IS THIS A JOKEWAD so meh.

Speaking of, when are the cacowards? (must... finish... portal...)
Just Because - Runaway Train. If I hadn't played it I wouldn't be here.
Hell yeah. I thought zdoom was a standard doom port until I jumped on Enjay's train into the zdoom community. Thanks enjay :cheers:

1) Claustaphobia

Because it did what other wads didn't. Epic boss battles and story that had some of the coolest use of ACS i've ever seen. Maybe not the most complex coding like Hotwax and LWM's standard but at the time it was pretty incredible. The only nag is the difficulty of the final boss.

2) Zen Dynamics

Provided all the cool stuff zdoom can pull off with badass weapons and good use of resource wads. Some of the battles felt very serious sam, which I adore. If it didn't have nine million versions and revisions it might have been better.

3) Demon Eclipse

Used alot of custom stuff. Brand new monsters that were never seen in any other wads which believe it or not isn't done very often. Not to mention beautiful looking maps, badass weapons and a ton of fun gameplay to enjoy. Now if only he would hurry up with episode 3...
dennisj1

Post by dennisj1 »

I'll suggest Knee-Deep In ZDoom.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Best graphics: Zero Tolerance Mod

reason: the guy put in alot of work into those guns (9), and they all play wonderfully, not to meantion the other little gameplay tweaks.

Best Weapon Set: ive played so many... so far i cant come what i liked the best, so i have a top 3.

1.) Zero Tolerance

reason: The weapons were pretty balanced, and they were sexy

2.) WW-DIAZ

reason:Its a rather fun weapon set, i played it for a month

3.) Batteries Still Not Included

reason: Energy weapons are awesome, and he knew exactly what
to change and leave. i hope he comes out with a third!

Honorable mentions:

Zdoom:
Batteries not included
Ninja Arena?

EDGE:

ICD-SE
DCDEMO

Best Gameplay Change: CAH

reason: its really the only wad ive bothered to go back to a old build and play, besides omgweapons. The gameplay is SOO awesome!. The action is always something from a die hard movie, the maps are well done, good special affects(they really slowed down the game.), fun, smart, gameplay.
it should be renamed SAH, but nonetheless, it is the only mod of its caliber.

Best maps: top 4

1.) MM2

reason: very well balanced, very good gameplay

2.) HR2

reason: VERY HARD! im all about challenges

3.) Bella 2 mega wad

reason: fairly balanced, and good gameplay.

4.) doom ressurection episode 1

reason: You rarely ever see a well made episode 1 remake. this
is one of those wads that just rises above.

Honorable mentions:

KZIZD: it was beautiful, but the switch hunting pissed me off. it would have
got first place were it not for that. i cant judge it if i havent played it through.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Cutmanmike wrote:3) Demon Eclipse

Used alot of custom stuff. Brand new monsters that were never seen in any other wads which believe it or not isn't done very often. Not to mention beautiful looking maps, badass weapons and a ton of fun gameplay to enjoy. Now if only he would hurry up with episode 3...
Alright, I'm officially a retard for forgetting to mention this one.
Induna

Post by Induna »

Thanks for the recommendations. I've downloaded all the ones I haven't played yet. Shall have fun playing them over the coming months.

The three that I have played are The ZDoom Community Map Project, Zen Dynamics and KDIZD. All were excellent, appreciate the time and effort into making these maps, lads. Truly amazing stuff. Loving the new monster and eniemies.

EDIT:

Can the guy who is sharing the fanboy map upload again? The Rapidshare mirrors don't seem to be working. The bittorrent files are coming up Invalid Protocol. Thanks.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Am I blind or has no-one mentioned Phocas Island 2, for God's sake? It gives me shivers just walking around it.

Apart from Phocas, I'd pick Demon Eclipse, Zen Dynamics, TNT3, KDiZD and Ghoul's Forest 3. They all made me crap my pants in one way or another. :lol:

EDIT: I forgot Operation Overlord, even if I did find it insanely hard.

EDIT 2: assuming I can get away with it: Hi-Tech Hell 2 owns, even if it was originally for Legacy. I'd love to see more GZDoom-only maps that really utilise the engine capabilities in the way it and DE have done.
Risen

Post by Risen »

If it counts, Foreverhood was pretty great.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

When Foreverhood sees a final release I'll be eating that up. But that was pretty epic.
dennisj1

Post by dennisj1 »

I change my vote: Ultimate Torment & Torture
Penguinator

Post by Penguinator »

Skippy wrote:Am I blind or has no-one mentioned Phocas Island 2, for God's sake? It gives me shivers just walking around it.
I always forget several WADS when I list favorites, and that was one of them. :P
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Somebody is seriously listing my weapon mods here? I mean, I like playing with them and all, but I don't think they stack up to the likes of things like Phocas Island 2, or RTC3057, or Roger Ritenour's stuff...
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well, if you honestly expect your own wads to be put up then you're big headed. As it is, you don't, so that's a good thing :P Take the praise! :P
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Did I mention Warzone at all? I still think it's the Xaser mod that deserves an update, though with real life interefering I haven't been able to do anything regarding it.
Marcus101RR
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Marcus101RR »

Best 2007 ZDoom Wad: The Ultimate Torment & Torture

Others
Knee Deep In ZDoom
SlipGate
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Hehe, thx Marcus :)

Return to “General”