The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
niculinux

Re: The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Post by niculinux »

hello there!

since 1 yera I'm a linux user...but very newbie..so I was just thinking:

It is possible to make portable zdoom/gzdoom versions? So you just unzip the files in a directory, execute the binary files et voilà.. :lol: :lol: that should also useful to bring even more doomers to linux, I think... :oops: :? :P
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

On Linux based operating systems the "portable" method of installation is unusual. It can be done, but you're going to make your life a lot harder trying. If you are using a debian based distribution you can install ZDoom and GZDoom though a package repository: http://debian.drdteam.org/

If you really want a portable installation so you can run it off a USB drive on that one other Linux based computer you come across, then you'll need to create a shell script that sets a few parameters like so:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
./zdoom -shotdir . -config ./zdoom.ini -savedir . $*
The Linux/Mac filesystem is designed so that you're entire user profile (settings for all programs and personal files) can be portable, not individual applications.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Not always you can make the application portable if different versions of the compiler are used.

For example, if you compile zdoom with a version of g++ higher than 4.5 then you can't run the game with an older libstdc++, because of the missing `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' in the library.
Mannequin

Post by Mannequin »

Blzut3 wrote:On Linux based operating systems the "portable" method of installation is unusual. It can be done, but you're going to make your life a lot harder trying. If you are using a debian based distribution you can install ZDoom and GZDoom though a package repository: http://debian.drdteam.org/
How up-to-date is ZDoom on this repository? Does it build the latest revision on a daily (or insert some other time frame here) basis?

-M.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

I build the latest stable. If there starts to become like a year between a release then I sneak in an SVN revision since the stable is "uselessly old."
zdoomer

Post by zdoomer »

Any way to change cfg folder to /opt ?
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Not sure why you want to, but you can do that with -config.
marver0ps

Post by marver0ps »

i always get this when i use the make command

[ 86%] /usr/bin/cmake: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2)
Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/sound/fmodsound.o
/home/daniel/trunk/src/sound/fmodsound.cpp:201:19: error: ‘FMOD_SPEAKERMODE_PROLOGIC’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/sound/fmodsound.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

I assume you haven't compiled before? You probably are trying to use an unsupported version of fmod.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Hmm, I'm trying to compile zdoom scripting branch but it seems cmake doesn't generate zcc-parse.c/h... I don't know why.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

perhaps it's the better topic to post it, but i cannot build non-SSE zdoom with current svn, i've posted it here :

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35154

does anyone have any suggestion on how to fix it ?
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

You can remove the if statement near the line that it's erroring out on and then it should compile fine. I guess the real question is though, why are you compiling without SSE? ZDoom checks the processor flags to determine if SSE can be executed and then falls back to the slower code if not.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

Blzut3 wrote:You can remove the if statement near the line that it's erroring out on and then it should compile fine. I guess the real question is though, why are you compiling without SSE? ZDoom checks the processor flags to determine if SSE can be executed and then falls back to the slower code if not.
i assumed that SSE option forces SSE code on, not enables sse autodetection in zdoom. i'd like to be corrected on this by someone in the know.

i am packaging zdoom for tiny core linux, and a rule of thumb is to build software for lowest common denominator platform, and optionally provide separate package dedicated for faster cpus. this is why i am making sure i can get a build valid for sse-incapable x86 cpus. if zdoom has sse autodetection - that's good news for me.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Well I'm a developer, so I should know something. :P ZDoom has CPUID reading code. The code that fails to compile looks like this:

if (CPU.bSSE2)
	{
		func = ClassifyLineSSE2;
		diff = int((char *)ClassifyLineSSE2 - (char *)calleroffset);
	}
	else
	{
		func = ClassifyLine2;
		diff = int((char *)ClassifyLine2 - (char *)calleroffset);
	}
Granted the bug you reported should be fixed, but the normal compile should be fine for your case. The main reason ZDoom has a compile without SSE option is for non-x86 CPUs.

The only reason I'm not fixing this bug myself is I'm not sure if I should be #ifdefing that piece of code or if compiling without SSE should imply BACKPATCH should be disabled as well. (The code in question is modifying the function call so that future calls go directly to the SSE/nonSSE function after the first call.)
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

thanks for clarification, i'll go with sse=on build then, as i need plain x86 binary.

some other things i stumbled upon :

- i cannot change SHARE_DIR through variables (or CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -DSHARE_DIR=\"...\" " ), for some reason. i have to patch that in source code. what am i doing wrong ?

- fluidsynth soundfont path seems to be hardcoded in the sources (on linux), is there a reason it's this way ? perhaps it could be adjusted through cmake vars at build time (or maybe a config file entry) ?

Return to “Tutorials”