The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Post by Chris »

What, exactly, have you done so far? And what, if any, errors did you get?
nessonic

Post by nessonic »

Figured I'd post in here rather than make a new topic.

New to Linux, just now getting around to understanding compiling and whatnot. Originally I installed zdoom using the exact commands from the "compiling zdoom on linux" wiki article. That worked fine and all, until I tried hosting a game for me and a friend. Both connected to the same internet connection, but they wouldn't find each other. Then I remembered back when I used to coop zdoom with PCs, and my friend and I had an issue with different zdoom versions. So I go into release/docs and read the zdoom.txt to find I'm running 1.22, while my friend is running 2.5. I download the source code, fumble around with it a bit until I get it to install into the right folder and all. It works fine again, but in /docs it says I'm still running 1.22? I downloaded the 2.50 source code, so I don't understand why it's saying that again. Is Linux only going up to 1.22 for some reason?

Or is cross platform coop just not possible?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The documentation that's included with the source code hasn't been updated since 1.22, and I'm not sure why it's still included...
nessonic

Post by nessonic »

Well, that makes sense I suppose. But I figured it out, the IP I was using was something else, it seems our college service provider has the same IP. Thanks though
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

For anyone using Gentoo, I've got a Portage overlay on Github with a bunch of assorted doom-related ebuilds. (ZDoom, GZDoom, ZDL, even ACC, ZDBSP, etc)
Most of them are live (-9999) ebuilds, so they aren't keyworded. Remember to unmask them with "**" keywords in /etc/portage/package.keywords.

When I have time I'll add some ebuilds for actual release versions. :P

Funny story: A month or so back, I was trying to get ZDoom to compile again, so I was Googling for directions and happened across this thread. After about half-way through the first post I was thinking to myself "Wow, this is a really bad, but strangely amusing tutorial." and went to look who wrote it... :laff:

EDIT: It's a different overlay now, updated the link.
Last edited by Bio Hazard on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Holy shit, Bio Hazard! You pop out of nowhere and leave something pretty cool and useful (for people running Gentoo, anyway). Heh.
BondEar

Post by BondEar »

I'm having the same basic problem as Runnerally, but with GZDoom. I installed it using the wiki's compile guide. CMake works fine and gives no errors, however there is no zdoom or gzdoom executable anywhere to be found. I'm running Debian Wheezy amd64.

Here's the output:

Code: Select all

/gzdoom_1.5.06/release$ cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
-- Using system zlib
-- Using system jpeg library
-- Using system bzip2 library
-- /usr/include
-- /usr/include
-- /home/jb/games/gzdoom_1.5.06/lzma/C
-- FMOD include files found at /home/jb/games/gzdoom_1.5.06/fmodapi42635linux64/api/inc
-- FMOD library found at /home/jb/games/gzdoom_1.5.06/fmodapi42635linux64/api/lib/libfmodex64.so
-- Fluid synth libs: /usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/jb/games/gzdoom_1.5.06/release
After I'm done:

/gzdoom_1.5.06/release$ ls
CMakeCache.txt       dumb            lzma        src     wadsrc_bm
CMakeFiles           game-music-emu  Makefile    tools   wadsrc_lights
cmake_install.cmake  gdtoa           output_sdl  wadsrc
As I said, no zdoom or gzdoom. What's going on?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the problem. Turns out I forgot to run make at the end. They really should make that more prominent, because with me being familiar with the "./configure && make && sudo make install" routine I thought that a program called CMake would make the source files.
Last edited by BondEar on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BondEar

Post by BondEar »

Last edited by BondEar on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BondEar

Post by BondEar »

Like everyone else FMOD is giving me problems. Here's the relevant command line output:

I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright � Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD version 4.26.35
I  System::init returned error code 62
GSound init failed. Using nosound.

Could not create music stream.
If your soundcard cannot play more than one
wave at a time, you will hear no music.
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
Couldn't open dsp device (`d')
No matter what I do I can't get it to stop using FMOD. I've set the MIDI device to TiMidity++ in the sound menu and restarted GZDoom but it still loads up FMOD.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

you should change "output system" in the "sound options" to something other but "oss" and "default", because the "default" is "oss", and "oss" iirc was deprecated.

[edit]
BondEar wrote:Thanks! That fixed it.
Good to know that. You're welcome. :D
Last edited by Edward-san on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BondEar

Post by BondEar »

Edward-san wrote:you should change "output system" in the "sound options" to something other but "oss" and "default", because the "default" is "oss", and "oss" iirc was deprecated.
Thanks! That fixed it.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

I don't think anybody is using my portage overlay, but in case anyone is, I moved the doom stuff out of my general overlay and into a dedicated doom-overlay. There's builds for a bunch of stuff now, and more on the way. :)

Link is up there. ^
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

I can't use the keys like "[ ] @ à ò" in the game, but i can use them in console... weird.
imwithid

Post by imwithid »

I had just compiled zdoom on Ubuntu 10.04.2 x64 and so far it works. There is only one problem I find and that is that there is a lag, at times, when using the mouse (I set the left button to fire and the right to strafe). Has anyone had this experience? This has never happened via Windows. I had tried gzdoom, however, it does not work very well as it crashes quite often.
BrettMckee

Post by BrettMckee »

I am trying to follow the instructions on the compile wiki http://zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_ZDoom_on_Linux.
I have followed all the steps including make, which is failing with the following.

[ 40%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/sdl/i_system.o
/home/brett/Downloads/Doom/zdoom-src/trunk/src/sdl/i_system.cpp:858:22: error: ‘functions’ declared as function returning an array
/home/brett/Downloads/Doom/zdoom-src/trunk/src/sdl/i_system.cpp:861:22: error: ‘morefuncs’ declared as function returning an array
/home/brett/Downloads/Doom/zdoom-src/trunk/src/sdl/i_system.cpp:863:22: error: ‘somefuncs’ declared as function returning an array
/home/brett/Downloads/Doom/zdoom-src/trunk/src/sdl/i_system.cpp:866:23: error: ‘itsafuncs’ declared as function returning an array
/home/brett/Downloads/Doom/zdoom-src/trunk/src/sdl/i_system.cpp:877:8: error: ‘SDL_VideDevice’ does not name a type
/home/brett/Downloads/Doom/zdoom-src/trunk/src/sdl/i_system.cpp: In function ‘unsigned int I_MakeRNGSeed()’:
/home/brett/Downloads/Doom/zdoom-src/trunk/src/sdl/i_system.cpp:839:34: warning: ignoring return value of ‘ssize_t read(int, void*, size_t)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
/home/brett/Downloads/Doom/zdoom-src/trunk/src/sdl/i_system.cpp: In function ‘int I_PickIWad(WadStuff*, int, bool, int)’:
/home/brett/Downloads/Doom/zdoom-src/trunk/src/sdl/i_system.cpp:694:18: warning: ignoring return value of ‘int scanf(const char*, ...)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/sdl/i_system.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am running Linux Mint 11.04 64bit
uname -a
Linux daterlap 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have searched, but found no solution. Any ideas?

/Brett

Return to “Tutorials”