The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Post by Remmirath »

That fixed it, man.

Thanks a lot. :)
Virii

Re: The official \"ZDoom on Linux\" thread.

Post by Virii »

Did that apply to my problem as well?

Here\'s the crash log from after applying the patch.

http://pastebin.com/yN3m0ujD
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Yes, that applies to your problem as well.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

BTW, you're not building it and running it as root, are you? You should be doing all of this as a normal user.
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Hmm, I think I compiled it as root. My bad. I'll recompile it as a normal user.
Virii

Post by Virii »

I haven't set up a normal user account. I'm running almost everything from the command line...

I wasn't going to either as I feel running as a normal user is about as bad as using UAC on Windows. Will I be able to compile without disabling the assembly if I do?

I noticed that neither Debian, or Arch, have music output from Fmod. But, the Debian version runs noticeably faster. I was expecting the opposite based on a few other programs I had compared between the two OSes. Maybe the disabled ASM...?

On a side, how would I create a user with all the proper permissions to compile programs?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Virii wrote:I haven't set up a normal user account. I'm running almost everything from the command line...

I wasn't going to either as I feel running as a normal user is about as bad as using UAC on Windows. Will I be able to compile without disabling the assembly if I do?
Linux is much nicer with user accounts than Windows. You don't have to worry about popups asking for permission whenever you try to do anything. Only when you try to do something that would affect other hypothetical users.

I'm not sure if it'll help with the assembly version crashes, but it can't hurt to try.
On a side, how would I create a user with all the proper permissions to compile programs?
You shouldn't need to do anything special. Just make sure the sources are in a directory you can write to (eg, make a sub-directory, as a normal user, somewhere in your home directory).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Virii wrote:is about as bad as using UAC on Windows.

UAC is the concept of total paranoia put on top of actual user accounts. I have never seen such a useless OS feature before. I wonder what MS was thinking by adding such a 'turn me off - quickly!' feature.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Virii wrote:is about as bad as using UAC on Windows.

UAC is the concept of total paranoia put on top of actual user accounts. I have never seen such a useless OS feature before. I wonder what MS was thinking by adding such a 'turn me off - quickly!' feature.
You think it's bad now? Just you wait; I've heard that an upcoming version of UAC will include a program that opens portals to hell in your computer. :wink:
Virii

Post by Virii »

This whole compiling attempt was in effort to find some use for an old PC of mine -> PIII, 800Mhz, 512MB RAM, 8MB Gfx Card:

Common = No Fmod sound output.
Debian = Playable on resolutions of anything below 640x480 FS. No mods.
Arch = Best setting on 400x300 FS. Still choppy, and poor frame-rate. Definitely no mods.

Windows XP on the same PC gives me Fmod sound output, high frame-rate, playability on 1024x768 FS, or 800x600/640x480 FS for some ZDoom mods. Windows 98 SE gave marginally better results. There must be a bottleneck, between Windows and Linux, that disappears as the machine gets faster...? While I'm a new user, I like the flexibility of Linux, and will probably be using it as my main OS on my modern machines.

Edit;

FYI - I almost forgot. Here's the output from trying to compile as a normal user:
Scanning dependencies of target bz2
CMake Error: Cannot open file for write: /home/virii/zdoom/debug/bzip2/CMakeFiles/bz2.dir/depend.make.tmp
CMake Error: : System Error: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [bzip2/CMakeFiles/bz2.dir/depend] Error 2
make[1]: *** [bzip2/CMakeFiles/bz2.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

I had the same problem when compiling as a normal user, and it seems that you don't have the permissions to open some files during the process. So yeah, in the end, I compiled it as root and it did just fine.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Virii wrote:FYI - I almost forgot. Here's the output from trying to compile as a normal user:
Scanning dependencies of target bz2
CMake Error: Cannot open file for write: /home/virii/zdoom/debug/bzip2/CMakeFiles/bz2.dir/depend.make.tmp
CMake Error: : System Error: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [bzip2/CMakeFiles/bz2.dir/depend] Error 2
make[1]: *** [bzip2/CMakeFiles/bz2.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Is that a fresh checkout into an empty directory the user owns? If there's files left over from when you were building as root, a normal user won't be able to overwrite/update them.
Runerally

Post by Runerally »

Hello everybody, im new to linux and using Ubuntu 10.10. So I've spent my hollidays installing and configuring linux. Now id like to get this game. I followed the guide but it seems that i didnt get the the zdoom.exe file when i installed it. Whats up with that.

And oh, i did try to reinstall it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

The executable will just be named 'zdoom', not 'zdoom.exe'. Was make successful when you ran it, or were there errors?
Runerally

Post by Runerally »

Ok,just that there is no file named zdoom

Return to “Tutorials”