The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Angelofthefallen

Re: The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Post by Angelofthefallen »

I installed it, but I can't move the wads to that share folder, and I don't know how to bring up that other directory you mentioned.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

I'm not sure if there's a GUI way to do administrative tasks, so you'll need to put them in your home directory somewhere and use "sudo mv" to move them into that directory.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Blzut3 wrote:I'm not sure if there's a GUI way to do administrative tasks, so you'll need to put them in your home directory somewhere and use "sudo mv" to move them into that directory.
My trick is to open the file manager with sudo. You need to know the executable name of your file manager, though...
Angelofthefallen

Post by Angelofthefallen »

Somehow installing GZDoom cleared all of the problems I encountered ha. Strangeness.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I cant help but notice that gzdoom's hqnx filters are not present in the linux version. I have tried with proprietary and free drivers for my nvidia gt650m. Using Bumblebee.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yep, apparently they wouldn't compile right or something, so they're #ifndef-ed out when not compiling on Windows. If you have Linux and some programming experience you can try removing the #ifndef blocks and see if you can make it work on Linux.

A working patch (or rather, pull request) would certainly be appreciated.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Does anyone know how to compile acs on linux? I DO NOT have acces to a windows machine currently.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

xenoxols wrote:Does anyone know how to compile acs on linux? I DO NOT have acces to a windows machine currently.
The repo blzut3 linked to should have acc, or you could compile the source code.

Meanwhile, I can't run Oblige ever since I reinstalled CrunchBang, it just gives a file-not-found error when I attempt to run the executable. I have FLTK. Anyone have any idea what I might have neglected to reinstall?

EDIT: here's the actual error message now that I'm back on my #! boot:

Code: Select all

./Oblige: error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Something about 64-bit I suppose, but I can't install ia32-libs because it's been replaced with multiarch???? E: magic word is "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386" it seems, all is good with the world
VoidMage

Post by VoidMage »

Perhaps a silly question, but is there anything else that needs to be done to enable hqnx filters in "texture options" menu ?
I can switch using console var, but in the menu they don't appear for some reason, just Scalenx options.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Look up a few posts above, xenoxols' question (not the one about ACS, the post before that one) and my reply.
VoidMage

Post by VoidMage »

Gez wrote:Look up a few posts above, xenoxols' question (not the one about ACS, the post before that one) and my reply.
:sigh:
That was the reason I asked in this thread.
I've already found (on the net) and added the code and it looks like it's working, but those names from menudef.z just don't show up in menu.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sorry, I'm so used to people overlooking already-said stuff.

Yes, there is something needed to do because the full extent of the menu is disabled in the code. Look in gl_menu.cpp, you need to alter or remove the preprocessor directives here:

Code: Select all

// Do some tinkering with the menus so that certain options only appear
// when they are actually valid.
void gl_SetupMenu()
{
#ifndef _MSC_VER
	FOptionValues **opt = OptionValues.CheckKey("HqResizeModes");
	if (opt != NULL) 
	{
		for(int i = (*opt)->mValues.Size()-1; i>=0; i--)
		{
			// Delete HQnX resize modes for non MSVC targets
			if ((*opt)->mValues[i].Value >= 4.0)
			{
				(*opt)->mValues.Delete(i);
			}
		}
	}
#endif
(Or just remove that entire block. Depends on if you think the code will now work on all three main platforms or not. If you got hqnx working on Windows, Mac, and Linux, then by all mean remove that entire block.)
VoidMage

Post by VoidMage »

Thanks.
So, the code in question is http://code.google.com/p/hqx.
It claims to support transparency, btw. - not sure about that, but I don't know what to look at to test.
The code is written in C, so it might be a tad slower, on the other hand WIN64 shouldn't be a problem.
There seem to be no need for Image.cpp, as it looks it was written with 32bit color in mind.
On the other hand, it includes stdint.h, so might need a little change for Windows (shame on MSVC).

The changes in gl/textures/gl_hqresize.cpp are nearly insignificant - if interested, can attach it in Code Submision, but honestly, it's probably less than five minutes to come up with those changes, stdint.h editions might take much longer.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The best thing to do would be to clone GZDoom on GitHub and then do a pull request.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Linux Mint user here. What should I do to install GZDoom? I just want to ask beforehand before I try the wrong distro's procedure by accident and irradiate everything in the room. :P

Return to “Tutorials”