Doom 2 Wad

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
JangoFett

Post by JangoFett »

Enough Talking about this Doom2 Shareware Wad for I am no longer looking for it. Ya know why? I HAVE DOOM2 FULL VERSION!!!! Now since this is speaking of Doom2 where can you find Good Doom2 WADs?!
EDIT: And what is the Best editor?
Last edited by JangoFett on Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

And you stole it. And now you want info on where to get PWADs for your stolen software.

Go away.
JangoFett

Post by JangoFett »

What do you mean?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

HotWax wrote:And you stole it. And now you want info on where to get PWADs for your stolen software.

Go away.

Hey, if someone hadn't given me a stolen version of Doom I would have never started playing (and liking) this game. Of course this doesn't mean I didn't buy it. :D
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Well, I suppose that's the same way I got attached to Doom. My brother's friend brought over a slew of games (including Doom 2) and installed them on our (then ub3r) brand new 486/50MHz PC. I didn't even think anything of it because I was raised on the C64 where file swapping was commonplace. :P Later on my parents decided to excorcize our PC of all teh 3v1l stuff that was on it and Doom 2 was deleted in the process. A couple years later when I was able to make money of my own I bought Ultimate Doom, and then later Doom 2.. and then Final Doom... and then Heretic and Hexen.

Money is the greatest deterrent of crime that there is.
DrewbieDoobie007

Post by DrewbieDoobie007 »

haha, ironic that it is also the greatest cause too!
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

As for good levels, you know what you must do wise one :-D

(I have a link to my site on my Zdoom Phorum profile, so I'm not gonna print the link here :-D).

:twisted:
JangoFett

Post by JangoFett »

I've got both of your Doom2 Levels, and I really did like ROTGS, and I do like The Following too.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Wow, cool :-D Thanks man, i'm currently working on a single level that is hellish in theme and is gonna have a Quake 2 style mission thing... I just need to get off my back side and make the graphix for the mission computer and code the damn thing :-D.

Thanks again. When I've finished that level I will continue work on ROTGS2 which is looking (and sounding, cus I have some mnusic for it :-) ) pritty damn cool, although it's just a cutscene and a few sectors of foggy marsh land at the moment (I love fog, and marshes and swamps and stuff, so that's the theme for ROTGS2 :-) ). This one is gonna have a kinda aliens feel in places, especially with my pet HK's :twisted: They come in four differant coloures and sizes :-). It's also gonna have an industrial themed place. The music is gonna be similar, butr also a bit differant. I only have two tracks done (tyechnically three) but i'm gonna work hard on the rest. The file size may get big I'm afraid... Oh, there is also a new weapon, the ripper cannon that will eventually rip throuigh stuff when I can find a spare projectile :-).

JangoFett

Post by JangoFett »

Can't wait for some new DooM maps. By the way, I read in the ROTGS readme file that you used Wintex and Wadauthor for it, I was wondering afew questions that I couldn't figure out (I do have WadAuthor and WinTex) like, How did you get the Text and Cut-scene things in it? And what WadAuthor Congifuration File did you use? And (This one you don't have to answer) since it was for Zdoom did you use Cameras for the Cut-scene?
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Okay, lemme answer a few of these questions before Hotwax comes along and ridicules you :-D.
How did you get the Text and Cut-scene things in it?
The text? I'm gonna assume that you mean all the text in game... okay. The intro text is Hudmessages. They rock man! You can do all sorts like print stuff in random locations and all that. The actual concept is just an extension of Print, but it's way cool! (Man, I've never said that in my life!). As for the final text I used a mapinfo to define a cluster and then wrote in the "exittext" section the final words... just like good ole doom :-D. For that end scroller I just set the level exit to EndGameC, which is actually Doom 1's bunny scene. I just replaced the bunny screens with my own custom ones.

The cut-scene is a large mixture between cameras, great mapping :-D and ACS! ACS is the real key here as I can sequence events to happen at certain times after certaqin delays. In actual fact, ACS is the bulk to ANY doom cut-scene in game. And all the talking was done by Hudmessages.
And what WadAuthor Congifuration File did you use?
At the time i used the Zdoom WCF file that was fount in the FTP directory, but that's way outdated now. If you look in the files section of Zdoom.org you should find an up-to-date WCF, use that! :-).
And (This one you don't have to answer) since it was for Zdoom did you use Cameras for the Cut-scene?
Of course I did! Cameras are really cool as you can do loads a stuff! :-).

The real tool that i used to get ROTGS so good was my Imagination. You don't need to download it as your current version should be quite sufficiant. The key is to think what you want to do, then do it! It's really simple, but you have to stick at it man. In ROTGS2 I wantred a cool intro cutscene where the player was standing trhere firing at the green soul while the camer spun around him and everything looked paused, like the matrix-spinning-around-while-paused thing! And that's exactly what I did! It looks great. I did this simply by replacing a doom piller with a sprite of onme of the players firing frames (including all directions of said frame) and replacing another piller with the green souls pain frame (including all directions). Then I used the camera to scroll around a load a way points while targetting the player (well, I should say piller, cus it ain't the player object ;-) ) and it looked exactly how I wanted it to! You gotta beleive in yourself and then do it.

The other greatest tool I used was:

http://zdoom.doomworld.com/reference/ (This has all the old stuff, very usefull for refrence)

http://zdoom.org/zdkb/zdoomindex.html (This has cool tutorials and it tells you how to set up wadauthor and wintex. READ THIS!).

http://www.zdoom.org/files/ (This is THE source for all zdoom stuff, it has examples (just look in em and see how they made their scripts), it has tools and even a more-recent-than-what-I-used-for-ROTGS WCF file :-D).

I hope I've been some help. But the above links will help yopu loads more than I ever can :-). Plus, your imagination is the key to unlocking the secrets of the univers, don't forget that ;-).

PS: Don't be afraid to extract the lumps in ROTGS so you can see what was going off. Look carefully at the scriots to get a rough idea and also, look at the mapinfo lumk (explained also in the refrence link above).
JangoFett

Afew other Questions...

Post by JangoFett »

Thanks for the links. And I have one more Question about ROTGS (right now) how did you get that Imp that can be invisible and visible? Does it have to do with Scripting?
HotWax

Re: Afew other Questions...

Post by HotWax »

JangoFett wrote:Thanks for the links. And I have one more Question about ROTGS (right now) how did you get that Imp that can be invisible and visible? Does it have to do with Scripting?
That would be a Stealth Imp. ZDoom provides for stealth versions of most of the Doom monsters. All you have to do to use them is place them in an editor.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Yeah, what Hotwax said :-).

Stealth monsters can be good, but that general opinion is debatable. I used them to try to scare the shit out f the player, and I didn't use too many, although there were a few complaints. However, if you keep on springing them onto an unsuspecting player then they will get very annoyed. It's all about balance. You've got to make things even, make a sort of flow, find out what is good and use that, but not too much as too much of a good thing is a bad thing, like beer for example :-D. That actully aplies to everything :-D.

Basically, say there is a single imp. you can hear it but you don't know where it is. Man, that's pritty scary. Useing that once will create a tension upon the player, they don't know when the next stealth imp will appear so they are constantly on edge. Then they find out that it doesn't appear and the all that tension was for nothing, but it WASN'T for nothing. The player was scared for that moment, and they know it! Now, if I was to randomise that, say, sometimes that imp will be there, then others it won't. Then, maybe I'll add a second one, but only if the player is lucky :twisted: they don't know what's gonna happen next! Even the seccond time they play the mod! They are gonna be scared man! And that's what it's all about :-D. If I just pilled loads of stealth imps in the map then it would ruin the feel because there will be no surprise and just a constant annoyance. Balance man :-).

It's like the arch ville debate, although that arch ville maze in Plutonia was interesting, although it did get annoying after a while...

JangoFett

Scripting Problems

Post by JangoFett »

Yesterday I have finally figured out how to Script things in WadAuthor. I've examined most other ZDoom Wads I have and in their scripts they always use the command:

Code: Select all

#include "zcommon.acs"
But when I try it it has problems in the "ZSpecial.acs" file. the error is:

error #34: Missing ')'

I tried posting it here because you did do some scripting on ROTGS and The Following.

And I have a question about the Following,

At the end of Doom I E1 They have the texted at the end telling about what is supposed to happen and mention E2 and Inferno, And you used that on The Following, May I ask, How did you do that? Scripting?

Return to “General”