ZDoom Speedmap Sessions?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Voltcom9

ZDoom Speedmap Sessions?

Post by Voltcom9 »

Hello everyone, over at Doomworld there is an active mapping community which constantly creates maps such as the
Abysmal Speedmap Sessions. Some of these maps are really quite impressive.

Is there anything like that here specifically for (G)ZDoom? If not would people be interested in starting something like it?
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: ZDoom Speedmap Sessions?

Post by Zanieon »

The problem with (G)ZDoom modders is that we relatively map slower than the people over at Doomworld, at DW people tends to map in Boom format and only uses a maximum of new textures and few dehacked actors, unlike here that you have a bunch of Total Conversions, UDMF, Dynamic Lights, 3D floors, 3D models...

It's alot more stuff to care about than can't be simply put into a speedmapping session if we do the way we are used to map, of course that something can be made if some people here attempts at Boom format, but i'm pretty sure nobody here wants abandon UDMF.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

the last one ehm was almost like that.
It was a 64kb map size competition, but still, almost after ehm 6 or 8 months and there are even maps weren't reviewed ;--;
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Thats not bad, however... One community makes lots of badass maps, the other makes lots of badass gameplay mods... the player benefits from both. XD
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

DUMP is kind of this. It's not as speedmappy as the stuff Doomworld does, but it's working under a semi-strict time limit.

Or, well, it's supposed to be, but y'know.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

True. I find that (G)ZDoom maps provide a much fuller and extensive gaming atmosphere which I prefer as a player.
It's true that it takes much longer to build ZDoom maps as opposed to BOOM maps just because of the sheer volume of extra features that can be added via ZDoom.

I honestly see so many awesome maps on these forums and there is only a handful of mapping projects such as the DUMP series or KDIZD which ever pop up.
It is really too bad there aren't more active community mapping projects is all.
Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt »

I think ZDoom maps taking longer to finish is overestimated. Just because the port has a hundred new features doesn't mean you have to use them all. Basic stuff like 3d floors, transfers, and tiny acs scripts literally only take minutes if you have used them a few times. Those are also some of the most important things to use along with knowing the linedefs; nobody will be touching floor_donut or obscure opengl effects. I can even present the opposite case, zdoom mapping could potentially be faster than boom, as you can still map in a very boom-ish style and only use effects when needed, and some stuff like invisible bridges/voodoo dolls won't take time at all in zdoom.

A good model that works is splitting things up into speedmapping the layout and detail separate. Allows good speedmaps to also look good as well. Avoid the huge maps though, those will take a year to detail lol. Also use new monsters that aren't just a randomizer.

Return to “General”