Need Help with DeePsea

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Need Help with DeePsea

Post by Kappes Buur »

I haven't worked with DeePsea for a very long time, until a couple of days ago when I had occasion to use it.
With mixed results.

Loading my map worked okay, but for the life of me I cannot remember or figure out how DeePsea deals with
external texture packs. There doesn't seem to be a provision to bring them into the editor.

Could somebody, please, give me some advice how to load both map and texture pack.
Enjay

Re: Need Help with DeePsea

Post by Enjay »

"file/open pwad" and load the texture pack. Deepsea just loads WADs cumulatively a bit like the game engine does. You don't add resources like you might with DB.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

That was easy. :shock:
Thank you.

I have another question:

I have a text file from 2012 which shows used textures and flats, with the texture pack(s) they came from.
While the formatting looks like the one as produced by DeePsea, I cannot reproduce it with DeePsea.
Would somebody know how I can duplicate the steps to show the result above?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hit F7

PWAD Lump Arranging and More

(file/open dialogue will open: open the relevant PWAD)

The following window will open

Texture Reports*

Pick Whichever report you want

Picking the middle option gave me:

Which looks pretty much like the report you showed. Hitting the external viewer button should open the list in your text viewer (e.g. Notepad++ by the look of it) and you can save it from there if you want.

*If you just want to see the textures in 1 particular level in the WAD, select that map in the lump list then hit that button.
However, using the "Texture Reports" button allows you to list all maps and the textures used on them so the information for a single map can be gained through either route: either on its own with the "Textures Used in 1 Level" button or as part of the bigger "All Levels Separated" report.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

The instant I saw this thread, I was like "Oh, man, Enjay will be all over this." Look at me bein' all right and such.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Thanks for the responses.

I did/do know how to list the used textures/flats through F7.
What I am after specifically is the listing of the textures/flats and the texture pack(s) they came from, as in the image I showed above.

Say that I load my map, RETRES.WAD, ZDCC_RES.wad and avp2tex.wad, then going thru
still just gives me only the textures/flats, but no mention of texture pack.
And when I click on Texture Reports, I get the same, except when I click on 'List Texture and Flat Names defined in PWAD' it gives me this
Again no mention of the texture packs.

I'm starting to think that I either do something wrong or I am using the wrong program.
It simply drives me around the bend that I was successful 3 years ago and not now. The wife tells me I am getting old.
Further help is appreciated. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm... I'm stumped with this one too. :?

There's something weird going on. The report in your screenshot is indeed very much like a DeePsea one but I can't find anything that gives me a report with the resource files listed beside each texture. However, I also notice that your screenshot doesn't have a resource WAD listed for a couple of the textures and none of the resource WADs have a full path (either at the top of the file or beside the texture entry) or the WAD extension. Of course, there is nothing conclusive in that but that strikes me as quite un-Jack Vermeulen-like. Also, the way that the texture reports seem to work - they seem to simply load the one file that you specify so I'm not sure that they would even "know" which texture WADs are needed for the map. I think the reports just look at the lists of used textures (however that is stored in the map data) using the map entries and there doesn't seem to be a way to cross-link that to which resource WAD the textures are in for the purposes of the reports.

I don't suppose the file would have been edited manually to put the names of the res files beside the textures would it? I know that would be quite a pain of a task that you would probably remember but, at the same time, judging by the size of the scroll handle thingy in Notepad++, it isn't a huge list so perhaps it is something that could have been done manually and then forgotten?
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

You mentioning manual editing seems to stir a spark in my brain's recesses. I may very well have done that,
because I found a file for MAP02 which did not have those texture pack references.
That may have been the mystery.

Thanks again.

It would be nice if there were a program which could do that automatically, though.

Return to “General”