The state of the scripting branch

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: The state of the scripting branch

Post by Graf Zahl »

Major Cooke wrote: Also, before doing a 2.8.0 release, there are two last pull requests I wish to see added on my end, and they are up and ready for inspection now.
I won't be able to before christmas, so Randi will have to do it if they are deemed ok for 2.8.0.

Major Cooke wrote: One other thing: DoomScript won't need to be compiled like ACS does, right? I ask because that becomes a bit of a chore.
No, it will be part of the DECORATE lump. Compiled data is ok for closed source products but overall having the compiler in the engine should always be the preferable option.
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Graf Zahl wrote:Don't tell me you think that 'programming' in DECORATE is a clean way to do stuff... :?
No. I was asking to find out what more features this fabled "Doomscript" will offer us that we don't already have.
Graf Zahl wrote:Compiled data is ok for closed source products but overall having the compiler in the engine should always be the preferable option.
I like black and white blanket statements.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Galaxy_Stranger wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Don't tell me you think that 'programming' in DECORATE is a clean way to do stuff... :?
No. I was asking to find out what more features this fabled "Doomscript" will offer us that we don't already have.
Graf Zahl wrote:Compiled data is ok for closed source products but overall having the compiler in the engine should always be the preferable option.
I like black and white blanket statements.
Graf Zahl wrote:No, it will be part of the DECORATE lump.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Regarding 2.8.0. The only thing I would like to get in before a release is the SDL2 work. At the moment _mental_ is cleaning up the Cocoa backend so that it's not doing SDL API emulation. But if Randi wants to do a release sooner then it should be OK to go ahead and merge the SDL2 branch as it is now.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Galaxy_Stranger wrote:

The 'feature' will be that you can do all the internal coding for a new class yourself, meaning new action functions or even some alterations of internal behavior.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Blzut3 wrote:Regarding 2.8.0. The only thing I would like to get in before a release is the SDL2 work. At the moment _mental_ is cleaning up the Cocoa backend so that it's not doing SDL API emulation. But if Randi wants to do a release sooner then it should be OK to go ahead and merge the SDL2 branch as it is now.
I got rid of SDL for native OS X backend completely in a separate branch. Well, code could be cleaned up, although there will be no difference for end users, as all features are already there.
SDL backend remains the same as in your SDL2 branch. I also tested Windows and Linux versions a little bit, but latter in VM only.
If you want to merge SDL2 into the master I can do a pull request. SDL dependency removal is required in order to build for 10.4 and for PowerPC.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

OK, SDL2 is merged.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Graf Zahl wrote:The 'feature' will be that you can do all the internal coding for a new class yourself, meaning new action functions or even some alterations of internal behavior.
What about the ability to call multiple DECORATE functions inside of a new one? I.e. A_SetupVars could call A_SetUserVar multiple times. Or would we have to basically replicate the functionality of each function instead of just being able to call DECORATE functions? I'm fine with either or, I'm mainly concerned about being able to tidy up code.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Exciting! I kept a close eye on the scripting branch progress while it was being developed a couple years back.

People are asking whether it replaces DECORATE but it seems pretty clear that it complements it; what I'm more interested in is how it fits in with ACS... as best as I can tell the breakdown seems to be that DoomScript can specify global object behaviors, while ACS is all about special case scripting of level elements, objects, etc. Neither supercedes the other though there are probably now two ways to skin certain cats, if hackily.

I didn't study the DoomScript branch code closely enough to understand exactly how it will work... will scripts hot-reload or is it only read on launch like the rest of DECORATE?
OK, SDL2 is merged.
This is cool too, are there any big wins from this? SDL2 seems to have a lot of improvements.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

JPL wrote:This is cool too, are there any big wins from this? SDL2 seems to have a lot of improvements.
Keeping in mind that the SDL2 code is only for Linux, there seems to be slightly improved blitting performance. Full screen is implemented with scaling which makes it much more useable for multi-head (and debugging). It doesn't hang on some systems, particularly those using IMEs. Probably other benefits that I'm not aware of.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

http://zdoom.org/Changelog Oh man, this is looking promising. :D

Return to “General”