The Custom SPrites Tutorial Thread

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Nuke em

Post by Nuke em »

Right so lately my dad has been bugging me about making a weapon mod. He gave me a good idea and for now I'll just call it MSA. :twisted: Of course, I have no experience with weapon modding or DECORATE. So, this is going to be a crash course for me. :D Here are a few images that I've drawn, warning; they're not very good.
Spoiler:
I could use so help turning these into sprites. I'm using Microsoft PhotoDraw BTW.

EDIT: I figure that It would be about the same size as a chaingun.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

You know, I think this should be Stickied.

Or, once all of the Tutorials are up, Eriance could make one big topic with all of them, and have that locked and stickied.
Nuke em

Post by Nuke em »

Captain Ventris wrote:You know, I think this should be Stickied.

Or, once all of the Tutorials are up, Eriance could make one big topic with all of them, and have that locked and stickied.
You just Third-ed the idea!
Captain Ventris

Nuke em wrote:
Captain Ventris wrote:You know, I think this should be Stickied.

You just Third-ed the idea!
..................fine then.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

@Nuke em: The gun suffers greatly from perspective. At this point, it looks more like a steering wheel with a mortar launcher, not a man-handled gatling gun.
Golden Heaven

Post by Golden Heaven »

Photoshop has a handy tool that includes variations, allowing you to very easily change the colors of a monster. Like if you have a cacodemon, and you want it bluey, you should make it black and white and then go to color variations and increase blue, very handy indeed. I really like making new monsters and sprites, but I'm so sad I don't have the patience nor the drawing skills to do it. I've tried making sprites from scratch numerous times, but it always ends up in something crappy or the shading really sucks. The shading really is my problem :D.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Bump! I'm good at drawing and art in general, but not on the computer, so I had an idea. What if I was to draw all the sprites then scan them into the computer, would this be a good idea?
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

CaptainToenail wrote:Bump! I'm good at drawing and art in general, but not on the computer, so I had an idea. What if I was to draw all the sprites then scan them into the computer, would this be a good idea?
Assuming you can colour them on the computer, probably. Colouring them with markers or coloured pencils or something probably isn't the best idea. They'd also probably require a large bit of touch-up work.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Wow, this is a fantastic tutorial! How the hell did I miss this? :P

I believe Photoshop CS is available for a trial demo download. I'ma go see how it fairs on my sprites. :D
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

And if you can't afford Photoshop, The GIMP should suffice.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Don't forget Paint.NET. It's so good, it can't be a Microsoft product - and it isn't.
mikenet2007

Post by mikenet2007 »

Good job man, I know that takes patience. I have moderate experience with texturing, and have made dozens of custom textures for duke3d, as for monster creating, I've never done one from scratch. The only thing I've done there is a modified Caco I did recently, but its much easier to modify an original than make a new monster from the ground up.

What you said about angles is very true. The thing I find most difficult is being limited to the 256 color pallet, the lack of resolution is also problematic when trying to make the frames seamlessly run together and look convincing.

I have the same program you use, I think, Photoshop CS2. Its got a lot of features. The biggest problem I have is porting the textures into a wad, I use PNG format pics usually, and xwe or slumped to port them over,

Duke3d texture work I find much easier, I still have some getting use to the doom texture porting.
Last edited by mikenet2007 on Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doomshadow

Post by Doomshadow »

Shinjanji wrote:And if you can't afford Photoshop, The GIMP should suffice.
GIMP doesn't like BMPs sadly.
Captain Ventris

Doomshadow wrote:
PNG is a much better format. Really. It's more compact, for one.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Doomshadow wrote:
Wait, what? BMPs work for me.

Return to “Tutorials”