[Code] Footsteps - v5 released!

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Zombie Killer

[Code] Footsteps - v5 released!

Post by The Zombie Killer »

ACS Footsteps
Current version: 5

Features:
  • NO decorate required, at all
  • Different sounds for different flats
  • No ACS modification required, just plug right into your project
  • Sounds and floor textures defined in LANGUAGE rather than the ACS code
  • Sound volume and speed varies depending on how fast you are moving
  • Comments in code to help you add more sounds, and modify which ones play for which textures
Credits:
  • Ryan Cordell - The original ACS footsteps library that this was originally based on
  • Ral22 - Supplying me with a full soundset of footsteps for v3
Download! (ZDoom)
Download! (Zandronum)
GitHub Repository
Older releases
Last edited by The Zombie Killer on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [Code] Footsteps

Post by Ral22 »

Are you aware on whether or not this supports 3-D platforms? And if not, would you like me to find out?
BloodyAcid

Post by BloodyAcid »

WOAH, this is extremely helpful. Thank you!
Blox

Post by Blox »

Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Splendid! This will be very useful for me as well! Thank you for your work. If you'll need more footsteps sound on different surfaces (for instance, snow), I can upload some for ya.

I do have one question though: This footstep addition can be used on enemies as well, which move by legs? For example, can this code be applied on walking hostile entities, such as Zombiemen, Shotgun guys, or Heavy Chaingun Dudes?
The Zombie Killer

Are you aware on whether or not this supports 3-D platforms? And if not, would you like me to find out?
I'm not sure, I haven't tested it. If you could find out for me that'd be great! Since I have no idea how to even make a 3D platform.
WOAH, this is extremely helpful. Thank you!
No problem :D
There was also this from last year two years ago [/OfftopicButOnSubject]
That's interesting, it seems to take velocity into account. I might take a look at this and adapt some of it.
Splendid! This will be very useful for me as well! Thank you for your work. If you'll need more footsteps sound on different surfaces (for instance, snow), I can upload some for ya.
That would be very helpful, thank you.
I do have one question though: This footstep addition can be used on enemies as well, which move by legs? For example, can this code be applied on walking hostile entities, such as Zombiemen, Shotgun guys, or Heavy Chaingun Dudes?
I was thinking about trying that out after I posted this thread. I'll try it out now and let you know.
It works fine, I just needed to make an extra script that doesn't check for the player's input.
The "missile" state had to be duplicated however, this is explained in the decorate code.
I only added footsteps to the nazis, zombiemen, shotgunners and chaingunners. It should be relatively easy to add it to the rest.
Removed, see first post for link
Last edited by The Zombie Killer on Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Netherstorm

Post by Netherstorm »

This is just what I am looking for. Thanks a ton!
The Zombie Killer

Re: [Code] Footsteps - v2 released!

@Netherstorm
No problem, glad it helped.
Last edited by The Zombie Killer on Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Very well :) Here is what I promised - a small collection of footsteps sounds.

The "dashing through heavy shrubbery" sounds can only be recorded at Summer...but I like the ones in snow. Also, "beton" stands for "concrete" in Hungarian.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u51tg6
Blox

Post by Blox »

Might and Magic 6-8 have some too, though I'm too lazy to split them up into two sounds per sound. (There are two steps in each sound.)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For me, the problem with having the player make footstep sounds wherever he goes is that my OCD tells me that if the player makes those sounds then every walking actor should also make similar sounds. However, I find that if everyone is running around making footstep sounds then there is just too much noise being made. That's why I limit myself to actors only making a footfall sound if they hit the ground heavily and not every time they step on the ground.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Enjay wrote:For me, the problem with having the player make footstep sounds wherever he goes is that my OCD tells me that if the player makes those sounds then every walking actor should also make similar sounds. However, I find that if everyone is running around making footstep sounds then there is just too much noise being made. That's why I limit myself to actors only making a footfall sound if they hit the ground heavily and not every time they step on the ground.
Not necessarily. For instance, floating, ghostly etc. enemies don't make any sound when moving around. Someone wearing only socks or completely bare foot also makes no sound, at least nothing that audible compared to a Mancubus, or a Heavy Chaingun Dude, whose gear rattles on his body when walking. Hearing footsteps can be extremely useful, especially when the level is destined to teleport bunch of hostile entities behind your back, and they surprise you in a middle of a desperate fight with a dozen Arch-viles. This can be deadly sometimes. It's better to hear them walking around rather than walking in a state of permament readyness. Not to mention if the background music is loud, or there is heavy ambiance around you (for example, a waterfall, or some heavy machinery humming all around). To avoid constant footsteps sound, however, it's wise to mix attacking squadrons: two Acolytes, a Black Apostle, and two Diadrons. Diadrons are floating, they're completely silent, but are still very powerful, so you don't need to litter the area with 24 Acolytes.

Alternatively, you can program a monster which teleports itself around, like Doom 3 Wraiths, but I have no idea how to do that...
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Reactor wrote:Very well :) Here is what I promised - a small collection of footsteps sounds.
By "HaRdLoCk", circa 2002... hmm these could come from a commercial game released in 2003-2004

seriously you should be more clear about the origins of the stuff you provide, proper attribution is important and authorship displacement of such can lead to misinformation and possibly vicitmize people who might look for "free sounds" on the internet that don't have any information attached to them
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

The concrete, dirt, and muddy footsteps sounds were obtained from Soundcloud 6 months ago. The snowy footsteps were recorded by me, personally. I will also record sand and heavy grass footsteps at the Summer. They are not from any commercial games.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Well, this is pretty much perfect, but... you say in your original post that the footsteps are different depending on terrain. However, the only difference I hear is when walking through water. :shock:

EDIT: Okay, I get it now. The function is there, but the sounds are not. But I have a question--I've seen other projects have custom sounds for walking on metal... are you going to implement that?

Return to “Script Library”