[WIP] Doom 1 Texture Minipack

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
NiGHTMARE

[WIP] Doom 1 Texture Minipack

Post by NiGHTMARE »

I'm currently putting together a collection of modified Doom 1 textures and flats, including a few "improvements" to existing textures. The goal is to only include stuff that wouldn't look too out of place in the original game. Obviously this includes stuff from the alphas.

For textures, I've kept simple recolours to a minimum; the ones that are there are mainly blue, red, and yellow versions of the various light textures, intended for use around keycard doors.

I have included brown, green, grey, and tan version of quite a few flats, to fit with the STARxx colour schemes. There are also a few red flats, mainly intended for hellish type levels.

Here's a link to the current version of the .wad.

A few textures and flats are by (or based on work by) other members of the community. Off the top of my head, credits go to esselfortium, fuzzballfox, tormentor667, and vader.
Last edited by NiGHTMARE on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gez

Re: [WIP] Doom 1 Texture Minipack

Post by Gez »

Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very good stuff, just as usual :)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Here's the latest copy. It includes TEXTURE1,TEXTURE2, and PNAMES with full definitions for everything, and quite a lot of additional textures (CEMENT, COMP, GRAY, MARBLE, METAL, PIPE, SHAWN, STAR, STONE, and SUPPORT variants amongst others).

Credits are the same as last time, plus Cage and Dusk.

BTW the transitional STAR textures aren't finished yet, so some of them look pretty horrible at the moment.
BloodyAcid

Post by BloodyAcid »

Woo, thanks for this awesome texture pack :D
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Cool :)

I noticed a couple of errors in the texture1:
COMPSTA1 and 2 have their computer screen patches overlaid 1 pixel too high compared to COMPSTA3.
COMPTILR has a COMPRED1 patch 1 pixel too high, leaving a small transparent area on the bottom right. Same problem is in SHNCTILR.
SHNCWERD's patch is 1 pixel to the left, leaving a column without a patch on the far right. Same problem is in SHNSMALR.
SUPPORT2's patch is 1 pixel to the left and 1 pixel to the top.

Also, more subjectively:
The GRAYHEX and COMPHEX textures would hugely benefit from antialiasing on their diagonals, which are rather rough and pixelish.
The METAL rivets used on SHAWN5 look kind of cheap to me; I don't think that combination really works too well.
The different types of transitional STAR shading are overkill; I'd just pick whichever one looks best for a particular color combination and go with that. I'd argue that STARBR3 is also unneeded given the existence of STARTAN3 (or STARBR6 in this wad) which provides the same transition, and that having separate versions going in both directions (i.e. white-to-tan and tan-to-white) is unnecessary bloat, given that they're just a slightly different-looking version of the same transition, offset 64 units.

In texture2:
LITE is offset by 1 pixel to the top, as are LITEBLU, RED, and YEL.
MARBLE11 is offset by 1 pixel to the right.
SUPPORT3 is offset by 1 pixel to the top.

Now for the subjective comments on those:
CEMENT10 has some weird, glitchy-looking shading at the bottoms of the bloody panels. It'd likely look better with those bright pixels turned to a dark brown or red.
The shading on some of the GRAY panels seems flattened out compared to the original textures, which have more subtle highlights around the side and bottom edges and a notably brighter highlight on the top edge.
ICKWHEX has the same chunky shading issue I mentioned with GRAYHEX and COMPHEX.
The bright, saturated blue staining at the bottom of some of the pipe textures is rather garish, and doesn't blend very well with the texture. A darker blue to better match Doom's water, with gray used along the edges to transition more smoothly into the tan, might work better. It might be a lost cause though. The color is just much, much more different from the tan backdrop than the pinks or greens of the blood and nukage ones, and it sticks out badly.

In the flats:
Accidental tan pixel in FLAT59.
The green pixels in DEM1_D and other red marble flats look rather glitchy. The same is true to a lesser extent with the red marble textures that used them. Remapping them to a range where you can jump to black without it looking too awful will probably be better, though it'll never be completely perfect without altering the palette.
The blue TLITEs, if altered to not make use of the pastel blue shades (anything above standard blue), will look a lot better with Doom.wad's colormap, which will probably turn the insides of these blue lights into gray.
Many of the TLITEs in general could potentially benefit from some tweaking around the edges of the lights, to fade into a darker red/blue/whatever on the CEIL5_1-backed ones, so the edges are less chunky.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

New version up. I've hopefully fixed all of the patch misalignments pointed out by essel, and have improved COMPHEX.

New stuff includes:

- BLUWALxx
- A few more COMPxx textures
- DOOR2 (and slightly improved DOOR1)
- DOORSIDE
- GRAYWARN
- MIDGRAT2
- SHAWN31 and SHAWN 32
- Recoloured SKINxx textures (now most skin textures come in pink, tan, and red varieties)
- SP_ROCK3
- TEKWALL7
- Various vine textures, such as BROVINE3 and GRAYVIN2.

The different types of transitional STAR shading are overkill; I'd just pick whichever one looks best for a particular color combination and go with that.
I haven't done so yet, but rather than remove any I'll probably end up merging some together, e.g.;

The shading on some of the GRAY panels seems flattened out compared to the original textures, which have more subtle highlights around the side and bottom edges and a notably brighter highlight on the top edge.
The whole top left 64x64 corner of the GRAY textures is copy'n'pasted directly from W33_7, and the top edge is actually slightly brighter than the original. So while you may have a point about the sides and bottom, the top edge must be the result of an optical illusion or something ;).
The green pixels in DEM1_D and other red marble flats look rather glitchy.
I could have sworn I already edited all the red marble textures to remove the green stuff when someone else mentioned it ages ago. The modified textures are probably on my laptop or something - I'll take a look tomorrow.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Another new version up. It's mainly new stuff, but I've fixed the existing red marble textures so there's no ugly green pixels in them.

New stuff:

- Various rock textures (ASHWALx, BSTONE4, and SP_ROCKx)
- Several new door textures
- A few more GRAYx AND ICKWALx textures
- Some more marble textures
- More metal textures
- Doom alpha step textures
- Improved SUPPORT3 based textures
- A couple new wood textures
- Around 50 more flats

Might have to chance the name of this before the official release, as it's not so "mini" any more ;).
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Yet another new version.

New stuff:

- Three new sizes of CRATE (128x128, 96x96, and 48x48)
- Some MIDVINE textures
- A couple of SKULWAL textures
- Lots of new STEP textures, and improvements to a few of the originals
- Some STONE2-based textures
- New and updated SUPPORT2-based textures
- A load of warning strip flats (all beginning Wx)

Preview of the SUPPORT 2 textures:

Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

I notice that the new support3-edits, while awesome, don't really tile as well as the previous ones I've seen around. The shine at the top of the texture cuts off pretty badly. I know this is inherent from the original doom graphic but I was wondering could it be possible to have this fixed?

I do really like these edits, as well as METAL20+ and the shawn edits, a lot!

Return to “Resources”